jack mama

Senior
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
November 18, 2003

David N. Siegel
President and CEO

Dear US Airways Colleague:

Some people think that our successful emergence from bankruptcy was the end of our restructuring. The truth is that our emergence from Chapter 11 was only the beginning. It was the life support that bought us time so that we could go on to fight another day. Well, that day has arrived.

It is time to stand and fight in Philadelphia.

We all know that Southwest has announced plans to launch service next spring from our key hub and that if we give ground there, we will give away control of our future and the very heart of our airline. It’s time to get off the defensive and move to being recognized as the top airline in our markets. It is time to take a stand for our Company.

We can compete with Southwest and other carriers on service: we have a better product, excellent airport facilities, regional and international destinations, marketing alliances, and most importantly, the best people in the business. The industry we are in demands giving customers what they want: not only the professional and courteous service we provide, but safe and reliable air service at the lowest price possible. That’s what makes Southwest, JetBlue and others such strong and successful competitors.

The plain and brutal fact is that we cannot compete with low-cost carriers (LCCs) on one critical factor that can make or break the airline – cost. The fact that analysts and industry experts have even grouped these airlines in their own category – LCCs – is testament to their influence on the industry. No one is to blame for this cost disadvantage, but the simple truth is that the LCCs deliver a seat mile at a cost about 40 percent less than ours. A more efficient operation, better use of technology, lower distribution costs, and greater productivity make up the largest share of their cost advantage.

When I talk about costs and productivity, I am trying to point out a core issue – low-cost competition has changed the airlines as it has other entire industries. The loss of huge textile companies in North Carolina and steel companies in Pittsburgh show how these industries have been beaten down by more efficient importers when they did not adapt to change. Low-cost competition can also change consumer behavior, like shopping at Wal-Mart instead of Woolworth’s. In the airline industry, low-cost competitors are not a passing fad, they are a reality. Southwest, AirTran and JetBlue are fueling growth with new airplanes, airport expansion and access to capital. They are the Wal-Mart, Home Depot and Target of the airline business, and their product is no longer something sold to the once-a-year vacation traveler willing to drive to a secondary airport. Their customers are now the business travelers we have traditionally relied upon.

Collectively, we will choose our future. We cannot become irrelevant to our customers, and without adapting to the changing marketplace, I am afraid we will be. I did not come here to oversee a going-out-of-business sale. I came here to rebuild and grow an important business. But first, we had to prune the worst of the money-losing operation so that we could be in a position to grow. Although our efforts to this point have yielded significant cost improvements, we continue to lose money, and we still do business the same way we have always done it – with inefficient operations, inadequate technology and distribution channels, complex pricing, outdated work rules and personnel policies, and internal dissension.

We must come to grips with the fact that the industry is changing and that to survive, we must transform every part of the company – more efficient operations, simpler pricing strategies, a better product for our customers, more productive work rules, a more flexible business model – literally everything must be on the table. And that is exactly the plan we're working on right now. Our focus is on how to be flexible, adaptable and creative, and to do this, we must think in terms of the customer and what they will demand of us going forward.

There is no reason why US Airways and our employees can’t be the ones opening up new routes and taking new airplanes. We just need to be able to compete in all aspects of the business so that we will have partners willing to invest in our company, lend us money, and sell us airplanes, knowing that we have all the elements for long-term success.

Looking back 18 months ago, the skeptics did not think we’d even still be here. We proved them wrong, but now those same skeptics say we cannot survive in the low-cost market. I believe we all have the spirit and ability to prove them wrong again. And if we can adapt, we can grow, so that rather than Southwest and JetBlue announcing aircraft orders, it will be us.

As we work through our plan, we will make sure you are informed every step of the way. Please make an effort to access the communications that we will be sharing with employees throughout this process.

And most importantly, thanks for your efforts at taking care of our customers. I fully appreciate that people want to see us succeed because of our employees who make the difference.

Sincerely,
Dave

I agree 100% with what Dave is saying. I wished that he and other mangt had had the fore thought to rearrange things needed while we were in BK!!! With that said theres no doubt they are looking for cost reductions within the employee group.We dont like to hear that some of the things are true why??? I can tell you why. The atmosphere since 1989 within this company has been one of distrust ,mismanagement and time and money waisted. We all know this, no doubt but we still keep shooting the mesenger. D Bronner has a lot of his and others money invested in this airline with one intention! To make money! I firmly believe they have a plan and a plan that will work. Folks i dont like any of this anyless than you do . I have been with this company for more than 15 yrs. Ive seen the crap that has happened and more importantly the mistrust of anyone this airline has ever hired as ceo! I for one will support this guy once and for all because simply we at this point are at the end of the game and its time we made a major move. Its too late to hire a new management team and i believ bronner and in fact the entire industry has faith in Seagle. Ok with that said lets hear the naysayers.... NEXT

Again I qoute from Dave:

"The industry we are in demands giving customers what they want: not only the professional and courteous service we provide, but safe and reliable air service at the lowest price possible. That’s what makes Southwest, JetBlue and others such strong and successful competitors".

"A more efficient operation, better use of technology, lower distribution costs, and greater productivity make up the largest share of their cost advantage."

And here's something else that give them an advantage and why they are such strong and successful competitors: David Neelman and Herb Kelleher. Leaders who understand the importance, no absolute essential need, for a motivated and loyal workforce.

"Some people think that our successful emergence from bankruptcy was the end of our restructuring."

No one I ever talked to thought that. No intelligent employee on this property ever thought that. Those are your words Dave. Not ours. We undertood and understand the need for a leader to change our operation. You said the RJ's would do it didn't you? You said the code shares would do it didn't you? You said getting rid of the pilot pension would do it didn't you? You said outsourcing Airbus work would do it didn't you? Dave, you haven't done what was needed and now you think you can? What the heck? We watched Schoefield, Wolf and Gangwal drive it into the ground. We're not going to let you do it.

We need new leadership. Plain and simple. We need someone like Neelman or Kelleher. Siegel isn't the guy. He has sold us a bill of goods and now is going to try to do it again. Anyone that trusts him is only fooling themselves. BOD, get us a leader. Get us someone who can compete. This guy can't.

mr

usfliboi,

I agree with you. It is past time to play the blame game. We all need to pull together for OUR futures. Yes, there will be the same belly aching on these forums by the same people who have carried on in the past. I wonder if there is any scenario in which many of those types could embrace.

Dave is right, the industry has changed, we either embrace it, or it is only a matter of time until we are history. For the naysayers who will say we cannot ever compete, that is simply poppycock. We continue to have a valuable franchise, and with the right management decisions there is no reason this place cannot succeed.

While it is true that this is largely dependant on management decisions, of course labor will also play a major role in one form or another. Any feather bedding should be addressed by choice on our part (assuming there is any left, of course). The days that we all can afford to not work as hard, or as long as other airlines are…over. You will be doing it here, or at another airline as a new hire, or in another line of work.

In fact, if it is that terrible here now…quit. You’re not going to be able to stand the next few months!

Dave, All I have to say is that after all the lies and deceptions, Don't bother asking for anymore. It's time for you to step upto the plate and start managing this company!!! FULL PAY TIL THE LAST DAY!!! (whats left of it)

By this letter, our Cost per Available Seat Mile is 40% higher than these competitors. In another location, our Labor is listed as around 38% of our total costs. Discounting the inability to add percentages, there are non labor issues that push that CASM above our competitors.

Unless or until those items are addressed, there is no point in beating your employees and their pay. Since the CASM is an aggregate number, only Crystal Drive knows what is stuffed into it.

Nuff Said.

The concession stand is closed.

No employee trust, No employee moral.

They had TWO chances to get what they needed, Dave said it was enough, now is coming back to the well.

All the airline analyst say US Airways' business plan to shrink will not work, we tried that and it failed.

Time to get Greg Brenamen former President of CO to come onboard.

Dave has done nothing but lie and steal from the employee groups since he has come on board.

Don't drink the Kool-aide.

flynomore said:
By this letter, our Cost per Available Seat Mile is 40% higher than these competitors. In another location, our Labor is listed as around 38% of our total costs. Discounting the inability to add percentages, there are non labor issues that push that CASM above our competitors.

Unless or until those items are addressed, there is no point in beating your employees and their pay. Since the CASM is an aggregate number, only Crystal Drive knows what is stuffed into it.

Nuff Said.
Well, write good old Dave and tell him you will volunteer 40% of your paycheck...if you are soooooo gunho. Why is it that everytime management screws up, we are all suppose to "stop fighting among each other"? May I remind you that the labor groups are united on this one....NO MORE MONEY FROM OUR PAYCHECKS!!! and DAVE, WE HATE YOU.....LEAVE!!!

You guys are really on some spiked coolaid. How dare you classify those that disagree with you as naysayers. This management team was breaking contracts before the ink dried. You find that acceptable or forgivable? 99% of the coworkers I talk to say if you can't run it correctly and you start threatening, just shut it down. We have all had it. There is life after this industry and I refuse to give money to incompetence

Dave keeps coming back to us with a different reason why things aren't working, but the same solution: cut labor costs. Sorry pal. Labor costs are not the issue anymore. If you want to give me the labor cost of southwest, I'll take it in a heartbeat. If they can pay their employees more than we do ours, then our expenses are too high elsewhere, starting with dave.

crazyincanton

firstamendment;

Lighten up, I am on your side. Jeesh.

To rephrase: If we worked for FREE our aggregated costs are still above the competitors he cites. What we do not know is all that is within that value due to accounting decisions. If those NON LABOR costs are not reduced, we are toast.

Left unsaid, yet again, is how management decisions drive that value as opposed to those made by the collective bargaining of union.

Do it for Dave
Dave, Thanks for the update. You have our support and we will continue to make sacrifices if needed. The naysayers are the minority voice.

Or perhaps "Do it to yourself" for Dave.... I wonder why we are still on a first name basis with this Harvard middle management clown.....

"Do it for Dave" makes me wonder if he/she has been on a plane lately talking with the crew or at a ticket counter or in a maintenance hanger. Though I'm furloughed, I have had plenty of opportunity to talk to crew and customer service folks, and I assure you that the "naysayers" are not some fanciful minority. They are the overwhelming majority. There is no quiet silent majority waiting in the wings to offer themselves up again to the great leader. Folks are done giving. They gave, they got nothing but a sharp stick in the eye, they are done.

If you want to make more sacrifices, do it (for Dave). But as the Nine Inch Nails song goes, "Bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve!"

Enough!

-Airlineorphan

Do_it_for_Dave said:
Dave, Thanks for the update. You have our support and we will continue to make sacrifices if needed. The naysayers are the minority voice.
Whomever you are?....count yourself as a fool in denial.

We have done it for Dave...and he in turn has done to us over and over again , yet the results are negative. the forecast is negative , and each weekly address spouts of more and more negative.

The team has had 18+ months and over 2 billion dollars worth of savings handed to them...yet the song remain the same. Tis time to change the band.

Dave laments that we should be the ones in position to be obtaining new Aircraft instead of the LCCs...yet HE is the one allowing 5 yearold Airbus narrow bodies to be parked on a weekly basis. Let's keep in mind that the supposed economics of the Airbus Fleet were to do wonderous things for us cost wise...yet they sit with the lease payments continuing to roll forward.

I'm am damn sick and tired of all the Havard "Buzz Words" like economy of scale and the alike...real economy can be achieved via an economy of maximum utilization of our organic assets and shear intelligence....niether of which we have been doing for what seems to be forever.

Ideas to paint then park planes alone are eating into our bottom line...but they come to us to make up for their shortsightedness and mis-calculations ...Thank You NO very much....I'm done giving.

Do it To Dave...before he does us all for the final time...and that time is coming fast.

Latest posts