M Vento, VP of TWU Local 568, faces drug smuggling charges

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
MIA ramp personnel involved in suspected drug smuggling? Stop the presses!

Wonder if anyone else is involved - airport drug smuggling is usually a group effort.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/10/1572567/american-airlines-worker-faces.html

FWAAA,

I wouldn't doubt it. A high profile person like that guy doesn't just wander off in the baggage hold or elswhere pulling panels without
somebody watching or joining in the "party".

In the late 1990's, they had the big ramper bust there. According to the goverment, smuggling was so rampant that many different "crews" were getting
into the act. They were so bad at MIA that the Colombian drug cartels looked upon them as unreliable thieving criminals. Even the Feds admitted that
they only arrested mostly the idiot copycat smugglers, the ones that started hiring themselves out after seeing their fellow crews start driving BMW;s and Benzs.
The Feds said they didn't have enough money budgeted to hire the real professional smuggling ramp crews at MIA, those crews laughed at what the undercover guys
offered.

All of this was documented in the Miami New Times paper. It's a long expose, but a good read. It's in their archives somewhere.

I'd bet this ramper was driving a $50K+ car

FWAAA,

I wouldn't doubt it. A high profile person like that guy doesn't just wander off in the baggage hold or elswhere pulling panels without
somebody watching or joining in the "party".

In the late 1990's, they had the big ramper bust there. According to the goverment, smuggling was so rampant that many different "crews" were getting
into the act. They were so bad at MIA that the Colombian drug cartels looked upon them as unreliable thieving criminals. Even the Feds admitted that
they only arrested mostly the idiot copycat smugglers, the ones that started hiring themselves out after seeing their fellow crews start driving BMW;s and Benzs.
The Feds said they didn't have enough money budgeted to hire the real professional smuggling ramp crews at MIA, those crews laughed at what the undercover guys
offered.

All of this was documented in the Miami New Times paper. It's a long expose, but a good read. It's in their archives somewhere.

I'd bet this ramper was driving a $50K+ car

A fellow who worked at TULE some years ago outlined the procedure - I believe he got caught and went bye-bye:

A Scarebus would come from somewhere in South America to MIA with plenty of dope loaded atop the crappers (one "find" was over 100 kilos, or 220 pounds). The Feds were watching when the aircraft arrived but it would depart for NY and return - at that point, since it was a domestic flight, little scrutiny was given and the dope was unloaded.

Only when the Scarebus was removed from service early at JFK (rather than MIA, which happened occasionally) for a trip to TUL and a MBV was the dope found. Many times I remember this happening and also remember the crowd of spooky-looking SOBs (DEA) running around the shops at TULE trying to look important.

Latest posts

Back