Maintenance Stations

Sep 9, 2002
What stations will be left for maintenance ?

From the ones closing are there any numbers on retirees and V.Sep?

Same questions for the shops plus can they go out to the line?

The company is planning on only closing three of the 18 line stations, the ones slated to be closed are ATL, MIA, and ORD.

BDL, BOS, BWI, CLT, DCA, FLL (just opened), LAX, LGA, MCO, ORF, PHL, PIT, PVD, SFO, RIC,SFO and TPA are the line stations to be left open.

But they can go down to only seven in the CBA.

Anyone with seniority can exercise it to maintain employment as long as they are qualified (if they have their A&P they can bump the line).

The majority of all shops are slated to be closed.

Thank you

Do they need line experiance to bump line. Do they always have to bump lowest in the station first?

If you are coming from one station to another, you have to bump the junior person in the station. If you are abolished in a station that has more then one bid area and you have the seniority to remain in the station, you can bump the junior person in the bid area of your choosing, as long as it is the same station, differant bid area.

No you do not need line experience to bump into the line, just both your tickets.

hold on there, if you haven't touched a plane in over 2 yrs, they can keep you off the line. just ask the guy in pit line avionics. got a bid 2 weeks ago, got knocked out 2 days for that very reason

The contract does not say that.

I know numerous utility that have not been mechanics in over 4 years who bid and got mechanics jobs in the past few weeks.

Contract states:
Mechanic: Valid A&P Licenses. Article 9, Paragraph I, page 45 Lines 30-33, and that has not changed.

The FAA states that you must work on an aircraft within 2 yrs to stay current on your A&P certificate. If you had one, you would know that, and you would also know that it is a certificate and not a license.

Then please explain how that numerous Utility in the past two months who have not used thier tickets in sevearl years or more got bids to mechanics in BOS, DCA and PHL.

Please explain why the contract states License Pay and Valid A&P License instead of certificate?

And if you look at the FAA's web page it calls it a license and/or a certificate.

How Do I Change or Replace my FAA License (Certificate)?

Call uncle Frank in pittsburgh, and ask him why a mechanic, who had been in the auto shop for the past 10+ yrs, bid and received a job in line avionics 2 weeks ago, was just abolished 2 days ago for that very reason. Also if you had an A&P in your back pocket, you could take it out, and see that it said "certificate". The word "license" does not appear anywhere on it. As for the contract, and the iam international, not very many people have an "A&P CERTIFICATE"

I believe for line avionics you need your FCC General License along with a years experience. You do not need an A&P if working specifically line avionics, but I believe only PIT, CLT &BOS have that dept. That is if we still have line avionics bid areas in the new contract. Nobody seems to have an answer.

midnight cowboy said:
he has all that, but has not worked an airplane in 10+ yrs
[post="251103"][/post]​

yes its a big problem , when someone bumps in and has not seen /touch an airplane (ever or) in the last 5,10, ... years, or worst yet he/she can be your line lead in phl or clt working gates,....... A320PILOT pulls in from sfo with gps fault 65 nm., :p

IAM :down:

amt4u said:
yes its a big problem , when someone bumps in and has not seen /touch an airplane (ever or) in the last 5,10, ... years, or worst yet he/she can be your line lead in phl or clt working gates,....... A320PILOT pulls in from sfo with gps fault 65 nm., :p

IAM :down:
[post="251104"][/post]​
then its called a (license to kill and 700 uw talks about 3rd party repairmen working on u aircraft I have seen the likes of these people who bump into a mechanic postion they should have stayed in their previous postion but The great IAM say" they can bump, and 90% of the time they are bumping a competent mechanic ends up on the street becuse the contract lets them do it btw I returned from my little trip to iraq yahooo

If you bump from, say, heavy mtx to the line, are you given (or required) any kind of chance to get current? At my carrier, the bumping never seems to cease. When they come here (a line station), if they've been in the hangar- or haven't worked the A/C types that fly here- the first thing they have to do is go "back to school."

Latest posts