management noncommunication

harleyrider

Feb 14, 2003
I heard through the grapevine that local 40 AFA Pres. is being blackballed by company management because of her unwillingness to be a team player. Here is another example of our so called LABOR FRIENDLY MANAGEMENT lead by Austin and his cronies to get more from labor by NOT dealing with a STRONG Labor leader. They prefer someone that will roll over and play dead, so that they get what Austin wants. Well, The truth hurts and management doesn't like it. So the easiest way to deal with her is not to correspond with her. What I see is that since management won't talk to her, she is going strait to the media with her frustration over how this company came out of bankruptcy, but bankrupt it's employees in the process with excessesive pay cuts and benefit cuts.{another 5% because of the so called war} I really like to see this management team sweat!! Thanks, Local 40 Pres. for the truth and getting under management's skin. Keep up the great work. The PEN is mightier than Austin's business plan.
10.gif

----------------
On 4/18/2003 6:28:36 PM PineyBob wrote:

I really think she needs to be careful! I respect her but don't agree with her even half the time. But if I agreed with her 100% of the time my advice would be the same.

Fight the Battles you can win! The small moral victories like proper uniforms, well made and fitted properly.
Be less transparent! Learn the art of deception, it comes in handy.
Most important! Stop making yourself a target.

----------------​
The AFA PIT President is the voice of her members. She has a direct line of communication with them. She IS winning, but not in an obvious manner in which you could view it. The union arena is unique, and there are many ways to get your point across; however, not necesarily for PAX consumption. She takes a "targeted position" and takes it into every forum. To be transparent, or invisible, makes you more vulnerable as a leader in this union business.Especially when you are dealing with professional "union busters". You must be OVERT; not covert in your actions and your stance.Easier to make a case, if management should make you the target for any kind of discipline, if it would or could ever go there. Being prepared for the worst is the best action. Believe me, she doesn't take such a strong postion for her members without being prepared for the worst from any management action.

It may be obvious to you that this management is winning and has won because they took billions from labor as THE restructuring plan.

But, EMPLOYEE MORALE; EFFECTS CUSTOMER PERCEPTION; EFFECTS BOTTOM LINE.

All the PIT President is trying to convey to this mangement, is their will be NO win for this company, unless this equation is recognized, addressed and fixed. And TRUST and "good faith" endeavors is the obstacles to be hurdled.

And, there will be no peace from this leader, until the MORALE and caring for the employees of this company IS ADDRESSED IN ACTIONS.

Bob,

Thanks a million

I will certainly convey to her your advice, and that is sweet. One thing about Teddy, she has all Ts and Is in hand. Labor law covers this, and the Labor Board gets involved. She's been there and done that. She unionized a hospital in Pittsburgh and actually got terminated. The end result....management had to pay her 1 year lost wages and make her whole. And, as a bonus, they had to notify her for the next two years on a monthly basis what schedule she wanted to work. NICE!

There are more protections for unionized workers than non union employees when it comes to disciplines and terminations.

When a labor leader takes such a strong stance against management, they are ususally prepared. Trust me on this.

I don't think, however, it will ever go there.

PS. Have you noticed that management is quiet and off these boards now. Just as they had pm me. They said they would be busy the next few weeks.

Bob,

Contrare, my friend...

6 years is a long time to be silent, and pretend it was ok...when many employees are stressed out and financially stricken. It's not like many can find work in this environment, and many of those who suffer, have been on this property for many more years than the new yoyos who just came on board.
EMPLOYEES ARE THE COMPANY; WE ARE THE COMPANY...NOT JUST MANGEMENT. They are just a part; not the whole. We will not make the choice to leave if we don't like it...they can leave. Management has to learn that they have to deal with employees in a reasonable, fair manner. They will not deal with employees, unless we force this mangement that they have to.

Just like at AA...this is when we make noise. Otherwise, it is percieved as aquiescing; can't have none of that!