MANAGEMENT Questions and Answers

I think that snafu and AIRWOMAN have the right (and best) idea. If you really have a question for Management, the best channel is probably [email protected], but expect the canned response. The difference is, like with everything else, they'll be able to quantify the feedback coming in.

Now, that said, I think Bambi had an excellent idea starting this thread, and we probably can't expect the top Management to respond if they're even reading this page (which I suspect they are). And since I outed myself already, I feel somewhat accountable to answer those questions already addressed to me. However, I'll do so with the following disclaimer: while my job duties involve what is considered management, I am not Management. That position doesn't mean, though, that I don't overhear some invaluable water cooler conversations or enjoy interesting Mill Ave. power lunch sessions and don't mind sharing my knowledge and insight here, which is not official company position.

To PhxMama:

That's a very interesting theory I honestly have never heard, even in my own bygone days at the call center. It seems to me that the training wouldn't be subsidized, because the question I asked myself when I first heard this rumor was, "Who gains?" Sure, the government could be doing it, but for what reason? What do they gain? And the high turnover was always my chief complaint for the same reasons you bring up. But what it boils down to is this: some people are just unhappy, no matter what you pay them, and they'll go to Alltel, and Carlson Wagonlit, and Sprint, and Southwest, but they probably won't like it there much, either. IMO we just need to be more honest in our recruitment efforts so people truly understand what they're signing up for, and then we can weed out upfront. Then there's the issue that more money is available to the payroll, which may help stem the losses over there.

I make less now than I have in any previous jobs, including those part time dealies I had in college, but I stay because I love the dysfunctional people I work with and I can jetset wherever/whenever I want.

To PITBull:

I personally couldn't agree with you more. Having started REZ and worked my way around, I know firsthand the knowledge and skill of these folks. IMHO, and my own experience, someone who is not a primary English speaker just can't comprehend the nuances of this industry. It is encouraging that in addition to the listen ins, we are also testing.

What I get from the post is, if you want an 'offical' reply, send it thru the 'offical' channels, but it will result in the same sort of 'offical' replies we expect. If you want to chat with someone in the know, who can give you the inside scoop, unoffically, then barbell is the one to chat with.

I expect to get more accurate info in an unformal chat than i would any 'formal' communication. sad, but true, with any company.

Use the thread for what you will, but try not to beat down those of us who think this thread was a great idea. Thanks!

oh, and to barbell

The thing that one post was talking about loosing our rez agts to places like Carlson. There are at least 3 6+yr QM agts who are moving to carlson. That to me says something. One of these employees I consider litterally a pillar in this dept. and if this agt actually accepts the job offer (16.50/hr to start mind you, while I make a whopping 11.14 after 6yrs) then we loose one of our most valuable agents. This is after we demoted one of the best agents in the department, (ex-lead agt, because they wont let our dept have lead agents anymore) causing her to resign, and accept a position with Carlson (again, and a higher rate of starting pay than we are making after 6+ yrs here)These are problems the company refuses to address. Some agents ARE more valuable than others, and HP NEEDS TO KEEP THESE AGENTS! but, I know there is nothing that a 'corperation' will do to keep its best. sad, none-the-less.

Barbell, The reason the gov may subsidize training IMO is for JOB TRAINING. I know you dont know for sure and until there is on "official" answer, this will remain an urban legend. PQA, No one gets it. One of the reasons rez went union was the way agents are treated. Management will say one thing and when they realize they were wrong and have their boss question the situation, they will crucify you to save their sorry backsides. I know the situation with that senior agent and that is exactly what happened. She wrote most of the Quality Management handbooks and knows more about the inside of rez than almost anyone. Her boss didnt like her(afraid she would have her job) and when she left she called the sup who hung her up a weasel and walked out the door. It wasnt money or that she didn't like her job, its the way rez has been treated by its management. Too many of the most talented, qualified agents and sups who have left have left not due to money but because of poor management decisions. When management was questioned about letting them walk all you hear is "well, maybes its time for them to move on." One sup was interviewing for a management position and the director at the time(thats a revolving door, can't wait to leave rez) was sleeping thru his presentation. Hes one of my closest friends, and he left the co. He was told he was too green for the position. Money would help keep some of our QM or RA agents. They are very valuable and until someone realizes the full scope of their jobs, we will continue to lose them. PQA, thanx for what you do as I know I call and depend on your expertise. Merry Christmas to all!

Questions with no answers. Could the moderator please put this thread in it's proper place?

WoW! You must be "TOP DOG" to get the moderator to JUMP when YOU say JUMP! Oh well, hey, I tried at least. Thought it would be something positive, but apparently not. Guess another example of typical non-answers and leaving us all in the dark.

MODERATOR...thanks anyways. Appreciate you putting this at the top for awhile. Only way we could keep it going is for some management to actually speak up on here. Would be nice...even UNION mgmt talking would be nice. Guess that's BIG WISHING ey?!

I have been thinking about the seniority issues. I think I may have a very equitable and fair idea, but I need to know one thing. Just starting with FA's. How many US and how many HP's? If anyone has this info, I would appreciate knowing this. If you know how many pilots, as well on each side, that would also be appreciated.
I don't know what the numbers are, there classfied, Let the AFL-CIO come up with a solution, their the grand daddy union. Management will miss it up, and arbitration you may not like, look at AA-tw, AA-acal, DL-wa and NWA-republic. Some work it out with a arbitator assistants, dove tail, NCA-SA-HW, TW-OZ, AL-PD. or like AA-tw f/a, CO-ti-nya. the news was the news. Or you could take the high seniority and low seniority and come up with a ratio and blend the ratio to next whole number, HP trumping US. For F/A's and Maintenance and Related, but the flight crew would be, type of equipment/Capt's blended ratio, type of equipment/F/O's ratio and any reduce Capt's would be at the top of the type of equipment/F/O's ratio list, the crew members would be given time to qualify on type equipment/differences and be qualified on both types of equipment. good luck.

PQA, I completely agree. It's sad the supervisory politics that go on in the call centers. I watched it many times myself. Keep your chin up. Hopefully your union can negotiate some better work rules for you (although I think it's sad it has to be that way).

and if this agt actually accepts the job offer (16.50/hr to start mind you)

On second thought, Holy S :censored: t! Maybe I should go to CWT: that's more than I make an hour. In all seriousness, though, everybody has to make their own decisions. For some they'd rather have the higher pay, and some prefer the benefits (which is why I'm here. Even if I made that kind of money I couldn't do the kinds of things I can here).

PQA, I completely agree. It's sad the supervisory politics that go on in the call centers. I watched it many times myself. Keep your chin up. Hopefully your union can negotiate some better work rules for you (although I think it's sad it has to be that way).
On second thought, Holy S :censored: t! Maybe I should go to CWT: that's more than I make an hour. In all seriousness, though, everybody has to make their own decisions. For some they'd rather have the higher pay, and some prefer the benefits (which is why I'm here. Even if I made that kind of money I couldn't do the kinds of things I can here).

Just a little bias, dont ya think.

Barbell,
You show alot of guts for the ID. Know this, some will try to get under you skin with their posts. Being sharp as I think you are,I'm sure you'll reply to honest questions and can the rest. Good luck! And thanks for the input.

Let me just clarify that post in case you happen to be misreading it: The opinions represented in this remark (and in all of my posts, for that matter) are merely that: opinions.

I'm happy to debate the alleged bias when it is more clearly defined. Thanks.

Essentially, what I get from Barbell's posts is to ask someone else, because his or her scope is extremely limited.

New management, same buck being passed. :down:

Well, know this: I may be passing the buck, I may have limited scope, and I may not be able to say certain things in an "anonymous" public forum. But I think you'd agree in your fight for sanity on this board that one should only answer those questions one can honestly answer.

So here's your answer: Since GPUs were moved under previous Management I can't rightly know, but I'd bet 1. they went to PHL, and 2. you can expect more when the current inventory of 3 renders you incapable of doing your job efficiently, effectively, and safely, provided that problem is reported through the appropriate channels. Feel free to voice that concern in a Town Hall.