MD-80 hits firetruck at DFW as plane approached gate

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
CLT-DFW MD-80 hit a firetruck as the plane was parking at DFW gate using the auto docking system, damaging the plane and the firetruck.

Sure, it was just a crappy MD-80, but the failure to employ wing walkers could have been disasterous.

Will management learn and employ wing walkers to help look out for hazards when the new 777-300s arrive?

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/11/10/3517054/american-airlines-plane-clips.html

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/AA-Plane-Hits-DFW-Firetruck-133669093.html

It's obvious that management values the almighty dollar more than passenger and crew safety.

CLT-DFW MD-80 hit a firetruck as the plane was parking at DFW gate using the auto docking system, damaging the plane and the firetruck.

Sure, it was just a crappy MD-80, but the failure to employ wing walkers could have been disasterous.

Will management learn and employ wing walkers to help look out for hazards when the new 777-300s arrive?

<snip>

It's obvious that management values the almighty dollar more than passenger and crew safety.
Crew members report that the fire truck was parked in the wrong location just a bit outside the designated fire lane.

I assumed that was the case, as the designated fire lanes (where many news stories reported the firetruck was parked) have probably been measured precisely so as to prevent collision provided the pilots taxi and turn where they are supposed to and provided the vehicles are parked in their proper place.

It would seem that common sense would dictate that wing walkers be used even at auto-dock gates when there is unusual activity/vehicles at adjoining gates. But then, I think that using words like logic and common sense in connection with AA operations is a Rule 32 violation. It's considered talkin' dirty. :lol:

It would seem that common sense would dictate that wing walkers be used even at auto-dock gates when there is unusual activity/vehicles at adjoining gates. But then, I think that using words like logic and common sense in connection with AA operations is a Rule 32 violation. It's considered talkin' dirty. :lol:

In the words of your fellow Texan Rick Perry, "Oops".

It's not the first time there have been three or four incidents of aircraft damage.....When the new bridges were installed they contracted out all the striping...example fire lanes,gate lines etc... Alot of the gates have conflicting lines. The little grazing as The star-telegram reports is over 100k in damage plus lost revenue...You add up all the damage not saving much from auto park system. Just a few I can recall is well over 300k just in damage....How much is it saving ,I'd like to see the figures.Also throw in a 777 entry door another 300k.No chalks rolled back,gate crew wasn't on the clock yet ,now were approaching a million.It's easy to see how this company is in trouble.....Throw in 3 goldhoffer tugs for 850k each sitting idle worthless now you start to see the excess waste around just Dfw....Time and time again we told them the goldhoffers would fail...The distance alone pulling aircraft makes it impossible,add in hills,110 degree temperature = overheat failure...They Now just move airplanes between hanger=waste. Over 2.5 million wasted...And oh throw a party whatever reason 4700 spring creek bbq meals add another 25k or so.Let me know when they get serious about turning this place around ok!!!!!!!!!! Full Retro or a NO.....

It's not the first time there have been three or four incidents of aircraft damage.....When the new bridges were installed they contracted out all the striping...example fire lanes,gate lines etc... Alot of the gates have conflicting lines. The little grazing as The star-telegram reports is over 100k in damage plus lost revenue...You add up all the damage not saving much from auto park system. Just a few I can recall is well over 300k just in damage....How much is it saving ,I'd like to see the figures.Also throw in a 777 entry door another 300k.No chalks rolled back,gate crew wasn't on the clock yet ,now were approaching a million.It's easy to see how this company is in trouble.....Throw in 3 goldhoffer tugs for 850k each sitting idle worthless now you start to see the excess waste around just Dfw....Time and time again we told them the goldhoffers would fail...The distance alone pulling aircraft makes it impossible,add in hills,110 degree temperature = overheat failure...They Now just move airplanes between hanger=waste. Over 2.5 million wasted...And oh throw a party whatever reason 4700 spring creek bbq meals add another 25k or so.Let me know when they get serious about turning this place around ok!!!!!!!!!! Full Retro or a NO.....
The idea of auto park gate systems is fine but there has to be a ramp crew to work the aircraft as soon as it is at the gate anyway. Is there really any savings even w/o the aircraft damage?
Secondly, does AA allow jetways to be moved by passenger service personnel without a ramp guideman?

The idea of auto park gate systems is fine but there has to be a ramp crew to work the aircraft as soon as it is at the gate anyway. Is there really any savings even w/o the aircraft damage?
Secondly, does AA allow jetways to be moved by passenger service personnel without a ramp guideman?
The auto park system is just another failed idea that costs more than it's worth. Like you said, the ramp crew is close by because they have to unload the airplane anyway, so why not at least have wingwalkers. the system saves what 5 minutes, but costs millions with a few accidents. Real smart!

Unless things have changed, yes. I owned jetbridge procedures for a couple years. Agent is supposed to go down the stairs and do a walk-around before repositioning an apron drive bridge (no need on a pedestal bridge). Looking in the mirrors isn't good enough. If there's an obstruction, they have to find a FSC to move things out of the way. The clear zone under the bridge is marked, but never a guarantee.

That's the policy... practice? Don't get me started. Average damage from a JB starts at around 10K.

Wing walkers are a sunk cost -- they're already on the clock in most cases, so there's really no reason not to have them out there. But last time I checked, AA was one of the few still using them for all pushouts.

Unless things have changed, yes. I owned jetbridge procedures for a couple years. Agent is supposed to go down the stairs and do a walk-around before repositioning an apron drive bridge (no need on a pedestal bridge). Looking in the mirrors isn't good enough. If there's an obstruction, they have to find a FSC to move things out of the way. The clear zone under the bridge is marked, but never a guarantee.

That's the policy... practice? Don't get me started. Average damage from a JB starts at around 10K

E, I will tell you that in my vast career of 10 years, I have never seen an agent go down the stairs to check for obstructions before moving the jetbridge. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it. It seems to be a "not my yob" standoff between agents and rampers. I have taken several pictures from inside the terminal of the sign on the side of every jetbridge which says "Do not drive or park equipment under this jetbridge." Directly below the sign under the jetbridge is enough ramp equipment to furnish a small regional. The agents know that the equipment is there, and the rampers know it is not supposed to be there, but...

The problem with the markings ,the firelanes cross behind the safe zone when the airplane is parked ie behind the wing.The truck was sitting there.The lanes actually pass behind the wing about 15 or 20 ft at an angle towards tail. Its really simple if you see the lines it's a recipe for damage. The FT was inside the firelane not over....Several of the the redesigned stripe layouts are this way c8 I think? a few more.

The auto park system is just another failed idea that costs more than it's worth. Like you said, the ramp crew is close by because they have to unload the airplane anyway, so why not at least have wingwalkers. the system saves what 5 minutes, but costs millions with a few accidents. Real smart!
As best as I can tell, the AutoPark system would be fine if the aircraft didn't require so damned much support and safety equipment around them. At best, this is trusting a computer to thread a needle - there just isn't a substitute for eyes.

E, I will tell you that in my vast career of 10 years, I have never seen an agent go down the stairs to check for obstructions before moving the jetbridge. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it. It seems to be a "not my yob" standoff between agents and rampers. I have taken several pictures from inside the terminal of the sign on the side of every jetbridge which says "Do not drive or park equipment under this jetbridge." Directly below the sign under the jetbridge is enough ramp equipment to furnish a small regional. The agents know that the equipment is there, and the rampers know it is not supposed to be there, but...
thanks for the info... but I would imagine if the jetbridge hits a piece of that equipment, it is the gate agent's fault.
If the jetbridge can't be moved because there is equipment blocking the access to the plane, that would seem to be the ramp's fault... but regardless of whose fault any of it is, the passenger loses if the operation falls apart.
Do all gates at DFW use the autopark system and is it used anywhere else on AA's system?
I would also be curious to know if AA paid for this system itself or if DFW airport did as part of its upgrades - which AA pays for other than the revenues DFW gets from oil wells and/or the "privilege" costs of approaching the terminal in a car even just to drop off or pick some one up.

Latest posts

Back