MD-80 hits firetruck at DFW as plane approached gate

thanks for the info... but I would imagine if the jetbridge hits a piece of that equipment, it is the gate agent's fault.
If the jetbridge can't be moved because there is equipment blocking the access to the plane, that would seem to be the ramp's fault... but regardless of whose fault any of it is, the passenger loses if the operation falls apart.
Do all gates at DFW use the autopark system and is it used anywhere else on AA's system?
I would also be curious to know if AA paid for this system itself or if DFW airport did as part of its upgrades - which AA pays for other than the revenues DFW gets from oil wells and/or the "privilege" costs of approaching the terminal in a car even just to drop off or pick some one up.

i happened to be at a36 shortly after the collision. looked as though the fire truck was parked within the red fire lines. the problem was obviously the lines were drawn incorrectly but also that the fire truck is taller than the md80's wingtips. these lines are drawn incorrectly at several other gates, however most AA equipment is short enough for the wing to pass over. having wing walkers w/o a guideman would most likely not have prevented this collision because they would not have been able to signal the pilots in time.

in reference to jetbridges, as someone mentioned, i have never seen a gate agent come down to the ramp to check for equipment obstructions. ive heard they have cameras but im not positive. and yea, fsc's drive under and park under bridges quite often but i think thats due to constrained space more than anything. as far as i know all AA gates have autopark but traditional wing walkers and guidemen are used during "hand signals." mia has autopark too!

Yes the Ramp is pretty much a free for all now,we need to mod the Airplanes with blinkers. It's just a matter of time before there is a horrible collision...

This is a example of how far the fire lanes are off...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crp1983/6349463754/in/photostream

I have a fair amount of taxi time in f100,727,757,767,777,DC10,and MD11's over the last 20 years. Believe me it's nice to have a pair of eyes watching your wings,PCA hoses etc....

Latest posts

Back