Meals Coming back in economy to certain transcon flights

Changes to American Airlines Beverage Service Coming June

IMG_0519.JPG

The following flights were previously exempt from this, and featured a full service, but will now no longer:

• DFW-AUS
  • DFW-HOU
  • DFW-IAH
  • DFW-OKC
  • DFW-SAT
  • DFW-TUL
  • JFK-BOS
  • JFK-DCA
  • LAX-LAS
Interestingly, DCA-BOS, BOS-LGA, DCA-LGA Shuttle flights are exempt. These are premium markets which are understandable.

http://theforwardcabin.com/2017/05/25/changes-to-american-airlines-beverage-service-coming-june-1/

Well, considering that DFW-AUS and JFK-BOS are shorter flights than MIA-MCO, and JFK-DCA and LAX-LAS are less than 40 miles longer than MIA-MCO, it's about time that DFW, LGA and LAX f/a safety might be considered. MIA-MCO has had NO service of any kind in coach for several years because the MIA flight attendants refused to do the service for "safety reasons." The company doesn't even cater MIA-MCO in coach.

I'm wondering if the abbreviated short haul beverage service will now be required on MIA-MCO. I'm guessing not.

Last edited:
Jim:

That seems like it would be a pretty good trip bid if you had nothing but short shuttle trips with no service? Just do the emergency announcement and sit pretty.

Jim:

That seems like it would be a pretty good trip bid if you had nothing but short shuttle trips with no service? Just do the emergency announcement and sit pretty.
Not for me it wouldn't be. I didn't hire on to spend my day sitting on the jumpseat. It's not only boring beyond description, it's uncomfortable. Jumpseats are an invention of the devil.

Besides most flights to/from short haul stations like AUS, OKC, and SAT are tacked on to the beginning or the end of the flying day where you work one of the last flights of the day, layover in that city, such as Austin, then work one of the first flights back to DFW on the following day. If there were such lines of flying you would probably have to do DFW-AUS-DFW-AUS-DFW in one day. One DFW-AUS-DFW turn would be less than 2 hours of flying time and 3 hours total allowing for time on the ground in Austin. Under the contract, we are paid a minimum of 5 flight hours/day unless on an extended layover of more than 24 hours. The company is going to get their money's worth.

It's been a bone of contention for some years that we were required to do a full beverage service in both cabins on flights like DFW-AUS, OKC-DFW, DFW-SAT, etc while the company decided to let MIA f/as get away with simply refusing to do the service. If we had tried that in DFW, there would have been terminations for restriction of output.

Last edited:
When American West management took over USAirways they decided to charge for all beverage service. Not much to do unless someone wanted to paid for a soda

When American West management took over USAirways they decided to charge for all beverage service. Not much to do unless someone wanted to paid for a soda
That didn't last very long. It was like flying in the Twilight Zone, the cart rarely came to a complete stop (at least on the flights I was on).

IIRC even water cost a buck or two, unless you needed it to take medication and then it was free.

Reality check here people! 2 oz. of drink over six ice cubes ain't say a lot anyway!

Flew from LAS to MIA recently, there was one drink svc 30min after takeoff and that was it, for 4 hours. The FAs did come by an hour before landing to pick up trash.

AA really needs to upgrade the service a little better then that. It was a flight that left at 1220. Pax were getting up and going to the galley asking FAs for water and soda. Heard one guy say it's hard to tell the difference between AA and Spirit anymore.

Send a letter to AA. They need to do a better job of compliance. You should have received 2 separate beverage services and juice, water and coffee on the pick up. We have a handful of lazy F/A's in every base.

Amen! Part of the problem is that passengers just assume that is the new service standard and don't complain. Be sure and include date and flight number in your letter. That way the company can poll other passengers to make sure that your complaint is valid. (There are those who write crank complaint letters thinking they will automatically get free Aadvantage miles or some other benefit.)