Mec Code-a-phone Update

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
This is MEC Chairman Bill Pollock with a US Airways MEC update for Friday, May 14th, with two new items.

Item 1. The MEC Negotiating Committee will be meeting with Company negotiators on Monday, May 17, to begin discussing the details of the Transformation Plan that were presented to the Committee last week. During this past week, the Negotiating Committee and ALPA’s financial and legal staff and advisors have also analyzed the Plan’s financial figures, marketing data and operational assumptions. Please be sure to stay updated on the progress on these discussions by using the code-a-phone and MEC website.

Item 2. The newest Chairman’s web cast is available for high-speed and dial-up internet users on the pilots only home page. In this web cast, I tell pilots what to expect from upcoming negotiations on the Transformation Plan and give a short overview of the Plan. I also urge all pilots to keep updated and informed on the progress of talks as we engage in this process to generate much-needed change in the way US Airways operates.

Please remember we have 1,879 pilots on furlough.

Item 2. The newest Chairman’s web cast is available for high-speed and dial-up internet users on the pilots only home page. In this web cast, I tell pilots what to expect from upcoming negotiations on the Transformation Plan and give a short overview of the Plan. I also urge all pilots to keep updated and informed on the progress of talks as we engage in this process to generate much-needed change in the way US Airways operates.

Could you give the rest of us a brief idea of what this is about?

The webcast is on the pilot's only page of the ALPA site so you have to sign in. Here's what's listed as a transcript:

Jim

I’m Bill Pollock, your MEC Chairman.

In this new web cast, I’d like to talk about recent events, our airline’s future and what you can expect in the coming months from the MEC, the Negotiating Committee, and the Company, as ALPA begins to participate in the US Airways Transformation Plan.

In February of this year, the MEC unanimously passed a resolution accepting the Company’s offer for ALPA to participate in the creation of a plan to restore US Airways to profitability.

Since then, ALPA’s committee structure, staff and advisors have been analyzing aircraft, route, productivity, and scheduling information in order to be prepared for discussions with the Company.

In April, we saw the departure of both President and CEO Dave Siegel and CFO Neil Cohen.

The US Airways Board of Directors responded to our concerns for a change in corporate culture. ALPA called for Mr. Siegel and Mr. Cohen’s resignation, and through that action, our union was able to generate a much-needed change in our company’s management. We will now engage in a process to generate a much needed change in which the airline operates.

With Bruce Lakefield’s recent appointment as President and CEO, and Dave Davis as CFO, I have reason to believe that our discussions with management will be more open and more productive.

Mr. Lakefield has pledged his commitment to the survival of the airline and to working with ALPA on the Plan. While this reengineering of our airline may require additional investment from our pilots, Mr. Lakefield has made it clear to the other labor groups that ALPA will not shoulder the burden for any other group.

The Plan, in fact, will not work, unless all parties agree to participate.

Last week, senior management met with the MEC officers and the Negotiating Committee and presented an overview of the US Airways’ Transformation Plan.

They updated us on the Company’s finances and laid out the Plan in greater detail.

The plan makes several changes to our business model, including creating a hybrid operation in Philadelphia, increasing aircraft utilization, flying to passengers’ top destinations from LaGuardia, Boston, and DC, and increasing Caribbean and European flying.

The Plan also establishes an aggressive new marketing strategy that lets our customers know that US Airways’ fare structure has been simplified and lowered, giving us a competitive product to challenge anyone, anywhere.

I encourage you to view the Company’s PowerPoint presentation on the pilots only homepage.

I expect this Transformation Plan, if properly implemented, to solve US Airways’ structural and operational problems while achieving profitability.

It must allow US Airways to evolve, survive and prosper in an industry that is facing increasing competition by the low cost carriers that are clearly preferred by both our business and leisure passengers.

At this point, the Negotiating Committee is deeply involved in the analysis of this information that senior management has proposed as part of the Plan. We have also requested further information, which management is providing.

At this time, the Negotiating Committee is planning to begin discussions with the Company next week, and will be seeking needed returns to lay the groundwork for any contributions that we make to the Company’s recovery plan.

I’ll be updating you regularly through the Code-a-phone, Chairman’s letters and webcasts on progress made on Transformation Plan negotiations.

If a tentative agreement is reached, this plan will be voted on by the membership.

I’m looking forward to bringing our airline back to profitability, and making it a true competitor in the industry. I also will not forget the tremendous sacrifices we’ve already made to bring US Airways this far.

It’s going to be a rough road ahead, and as during the past restructuring measures, this will not be an easy process. We’re going to be involved in another set of discussions with management that will mostly likely continue to bring more change into your life.

Stay informed and demand the facts.

Undoubtedly, as in the case of LOA 91, some may wish to misrepresent the issues.

This process of transforming our airline may be our last chance to get it right. We have no time for the politics of rhetoric.

I’m asking that you depend on me to bring you factual information that you can use to stay updated through this process and that you can use to make an informed decision, perhaps the most important decision we have ever asked you to make.

The employees of US Airways have been challenged by Mr. Lakefield to take ownership of our airline. ALPA is meeting that challenge head-on.

Your MEC and MEC officers are committed to help restore the Company to profitability, but we will not do it by ourselves.

All US Airways stakeholders, all US Airways employee groups will have to contribute to the Transformation Plan and take responsibility for their part in our turn-around.

You know precisely what the cost of our survival has meant for you, for your family, and for your future. The pilots’ guidance during the past two years has won US Airways a reprieve, but all employee groups’ participation is required to return our airline to sustained profitability.

Thanks for watching.

MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE
May 17, 2004

This is Jack Stephan with a US Airways MEC update for Monday, May 17th, with one new item.

Today your Negotiating committee, staff, and advisors met in Crystal City to receive the Company’s Transformation Plan Pilot Cost Target. The Company is seeking cost reductions from the pilot group of $295 million dollars annually. They are pursuing a “Hybridâ€￾ network model that resembles the America West cost structure for its hub and spoke system and hybrid scheduling and the Jet Blue cost structure for its point to point operation.

All employee costs are being compared along five dimensions:

1. Seniority
2. Productivity
3. Rates of Pay
4. Benefits
5. Scope

The Negotiating committee will now review the Company’s presentation and analyze the costing model used to generate the requested cost reductions. The committee plans to meet again with management later this week.

As always, refer to the code a phone and our web site in following these negotiations as we engage in the process of returning our airline to profitability.

Please remember we have 1,879 pilots on furlough.

Thank you for listening.

If I read this right...the Pile-its were the only saving grace, the last 2 times around...shame on the rest of the employees for not stepping up and helping the upper crust make off with millions. YO..MB..just a crusin the Islands..and the MJ is great.

If alpa wants to subsidize bad management with a complete failure of a business plan, then let them. What continues to concern me is their expectations for the other work groups to do the same!!!!!

They (alpa) were rewarded with thousands of shares of stock for the last concessions, much like management, while other groups recieved 86 shares if they were lucky.
Now alpa wants the other work groups to help protect their investment. Sounds like a good plan if you are alpa. For others its very condescending. :blink: :blink: :down:

US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman Captain Bill Pollock said, "I expect this Transformation Plan, if properly implemented, to solve US Airways’ structural and operational problems while achieving profitability. It must allow US Airways to evolve, survive and prosper in an industry that is facing increasing competition by the low cost carriers that are clearly preferred by both our business and leisure passengers."

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Attachments

• A320.jpg
    A320.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 86
my question is why should the "other" groups fill in the blanks for the alpa mainline when the company turned selected cities into the circus style mainline express, pilots want to take the commuter's jobs and say bye bye to the express pilots (who by the way have families as well as the rest of us), the laying off of cwa agents to stupid machines afters years of putting up with all kinds of abuses from pax?