MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE

Nov 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE
February 7, 2003
This is Roy Freundlich with US Airways MEC update for Friday, February 7, with two new items:
Item 1. The MEC today issued a joint 12-page letter that discusses the status of the pilots’ pension plan and the reasons for the MEC’s opposition of the termination of the pilots’ defined benefit plan. The letter includes detailed reasons why management’s alternative proposed defined contribution pension plan is unacceptable, an explanation of the impact of the plan termination and how it would affect your benefits, graphs that show how the Company plans to transfer funding from the pilots’ pension plan to cover the other employee pension plans’ cost increases, and charts that demonstrate how the pilots will lose substantial accrued benefits that have already been earned.
This letter is detailed and somewhat complex, and it is very important that every pilot review it carefully to understand the pension issues and the MEC’s position. This letter is being posted on the pilots only website under urgent messages.
Item 2. As directed by the MEC’s January 29 resolution, activating all appropriate ALPA resources and committees, the Strike Preparedness Committee has been activated and is implementing rapid organization and mobilization efforts. This committee is currently seeking volunteers. Please call the MEC Office during normal business hours at 800-872-4763 to get involved and help your MEC preserve your earned pension benefits. A member of the Strike Preparedness Committee will then contact you with further information.
Please remember we have 1,827 pilots on furlough

The Union Busters are looking for information. If you have access to the pilots' only page, please do not post the information!

They can't counteract you if they have no idea what you are planning.

Sadly, the managment pilots have access to the boards. They funnel it right up to Daves desk daily.

The Cheif Pilots are still line pilots, although they do not fly more than 1 or two trips a month. I think they still pay dues (Never been one so not sure)

Do the pilots who have desk jobs (not check pilots) pay union dues? Are they considered to be on an administrative leave? If they are not paying dues, why do they have access to the pilots only page?

It was my understanding that the pensions of the Chief Pilots - not supervisory pilots but the Chief Pilots- are considered management pensions and are NOT going to be terminated. I don't know about the dues to ALPA. If someone knows better, please correct me. Chip?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/8/2003 8:19:56 PM mlt wrote:

The Union Busters are looking for information. If you have access to the pilots' only page, please do not post the information!

They can't counteract you if they have no idea what you are planning.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Somehow I think Siegel knows the USAirways Pilots Code-a-Phone 800 number. We even pay the toll charges for him.

I was referencing this portion of the MEC msg above:

The MEC today issued a joint 12-page letter that discusses the status of the pilots’ pension plan and the reasons for the MEC’s opposition of the termination of the pilots’ defined benefit plan. The letter includes detailed reasons why management’s alternative proposed defined contribution pension plan is unacceptable, an explanation of the impact of the plan termination and how it would affect your benefits, graphs that show how the Company plans to transfer funding from the pilots’ pension plan to cover the other employee pension plans’ cost increases, and charts that demonstrate how the pilots will lose substantial accrued benefits that have already been earned.

This letter is detailed and somewhat complex, and it is very important that every pilot review it carefully to understand the pension issues and the MEC’s position. This letter is being posted on the pilots only website under "urgent messages."

Chief and Assistant Chief Pilots are ALPA members with a management exemption. They come into the office and then usually go back to the line at some point in the future.

I believe (I am not 100 percent certain) they pay union dues and receive a pilot pension; therefore, their retirement is at risk as well.

Chip