Mechanic Wage Scale

Oneflyer said:
If the mechanics want Southwest's contract, AA management would give it to you.
[post="260477"][/post]​

No they wouldnt.

The big threat is that if we had SWA contract that AA would get rid of overhaul.

Its a lie.

AA had Tulsa paid off before SWA even existed and in house Overhaul actually saves money.

The only work that AA is obliged to keep in house is the work they can do cheaper in house.

Still AA spends more on outsourcing than any other carrier.

If in house overhaul was always such a burden then why did they build Alliance?

The fact is that as demand for third party work increases so will the cost for that service, over time airlines will start to bring more and more back in house. AS SWA grows they continue to bring more work in house.

By keeping the work in house, and getting the low labor rates that those third party providers have AA in fact has a huge advantage over other airlines that have to pay these providers. Then when the other airlines start bringing the work back in they will have the high start up costs of doing so while AA will not.

goingboeing said:
Thanks for your input and the Technical helper positions sounds a lot like AA/TWU's SRP position.
[post="261002"][/post]​

Imagine that! A non-union company trying to copy the union busting techniques of the TWU!!!!!

Bob Owens said:
Imagine that! A non-union company trying to copy the union busting techniques of the TWU!!!!!
[post="261247"][/post]​
Why are you suprised. DL has always had good union busting techniques. It is one reason they have been able to keep them out. I also think their old hiring practices helped. Don't hire 'free thinker' types. Some did ofcourse get by they interview shrink, but not many.

No they wouldnt.

The big threat is that if we had SWA contract that AA would get rid of overhaul.

Actually, I'm not so sure they wouldn't. According to AA upper management, the SWA mtx contract is actually less costly than the current contract (seniority neutral of course). AA actually pays AMTs less, but gets less productivity out of them do to contractual language.

I'm infering at this point, but it seem reason being that the TWU structures contracts with the idea that it is better to have more jobs with lower pay than fewer jobs with higher wages. Obviously, to get more dues.

Oneflyer said:
Actually, I'm not so sure they wouldn't. According to AA upper management, the SWA mtx contract is actually less costly than the current contract (seniority neutral of course). AA actually pays AMTs less, but gets less productivity out of them do to contractual language.

I'm infering at this point, but it seem reason being that the TWU structures contracts with the idea that it is better to have more jobs with lower pay than fewer jobs with higher wages. Obviously, to get more dues.
[post="261630"][/post]​

Somebody is finally getting it!

Oneflyer said:

[post="261630"][/post]​
-----------------------------

Oneflyer,

Please specify which portions of the current CBA need to be amended.

Exactly which Union contract work rules need to be changed to make us "more productive."

Please provide us with the contract language you think is necessary.

Please specify which portions of the current CBA need to be amended.

Exactly which Union contract work rules need to be changed to make us "more productive."

Please provide us with the contract language you think is necessary.

No idea, never said I did, and I don't really care to do it.

Read my post. I said that according to AA's upper management, AA pays its mechanics less than SWA, but that they are less productive do to work rule limitations within the AA contract. I then infered that perhaps the TWU is negeotiating its contracts in such a manner to save more, all beit lesser paying jobs to keep membership and revenue up.

Oneflyer said:
No idea, never said I did, and I don't really care to do it.

Read my post. I said that according to AA's upper management, AA pays its mechanics less than SWA, but that they are less productive do to work rule limitations within the AA contract. I then infered that perhaps the TWU is negeotiating its contracts in such a manner to save more, all beit lesser paying jobs to keep membership and revenue up.
[post="261638"][/post]​

Trust me, there is nothing left in this contract that is more restrictive than SWA. Not sure how you compare productivity with the different fleet types and maintenance programs. I would like to see a comparison of 737's only. Also a comparison of how much management does SWA have for their 737's vs AA.

Trust me, there is nothing left in this contract that is more restrictive than SWA. Not sure how you compare productivity with the different fleet types and maintenance programs. I would like to see a comparison of 737's only.

I have no idea about contract specifics, but the the source and context of the opinions I heard make me believe that upper management believe that SWA is more productive and have research to prove it. One thing that this management group does is spend a ton of time analyzing SWA, what they do better than AA and how AA can mimic SWA.

Also a comparison of how much management does SWA have for their 737's vs AA.

I couldn't agree more, AA could RIF 30% of the management workforce and no one would notice. I would guess that a RIF isn't that far off, either.

Oneflyer said:
I couldn't agree more, AA could RIF 30% of the management workforce and no one would notice. I would guess that a RIF isn't that far off, either.
[post="261649"][/post]​

Now look at that, I never thought I would see the day that I actually agreed 100% with something you said. :p :p ;) ;)

Oneflyer,Apr 11 2005, 12:52 AM]

Well I suppose that you can measure productivity different ways. Actually AA gets more bang for the buch from their AMTs than SWA does, SWA mechs only have to worry about knowing one type of aircraft-the 737, at AA we are forced to Taxi at least two and are qualifed on multiple types of aircraft. If we are less "productive" it's probably due to the way management runs the company and not because of our contract or the way we choose to work.

Latest posts

Back