Mechanic''s and UAL not talking ?

I dont think the company is serious about wanting
r+d even though they ask for it at every contract.
I heard a few years ago they(management)commissioned a study
and it was decided it would cost them more if mechs didnt do
r+d but I dont know what was used to make that determination.
At LAX its a one man pushback and every company I know of and
some places at UAL its two man pushes.Even Continental uses 2-4 people
ar LAX.American uses 2.

kscabpilot,

What about mechanics with lousy attitudes that want to blame everyone else for their problems? Sound familiar?

Ever access the FOCUS report on Skynet? If you did, maybe you'd question why we have so many IAM positions in certain locations that aren't exactly hub status.

Like I said, if you're so concerned with me posting messages from work, why don't you make a visit to WHQ and actually see where I work and what I do? Maybe then you'd gain a better understanding as to why the internet is used and why I'm able to post a few messages during my day. I'd be willing to bet that on average, my work day is longer than yours. I routinely come in early on my own time and work beyond 8 hours on my own time, including working through lunch that isn't paid. Occasionally we work weekends also on our own time. What about you? Card games part of your job? Walking around the terminal part of your job? Sleeping on company time part of your job description? I witnessed that for myself at the SFO Maint Base. So before you go worrying about everyone else, maybe you ought to worry a bit more about your own job classification's shortcomings on company time. I'm sure none of it applies to you, though, as you are the model, recruiting-poster UA employee.

I talked to Creighton and Utecht personally, they were adamant about R&D. Don't know what Tilton is about but the word I get, he's leaving maintenance and engineering decisions up to Utecht, and he hates our guts.

What I find on this board is a lot of workers who want to see Ual make it, but are also frustrated with the progress and speculation of not knowing what is going to happen.
Everyone who is posting here seem to point out what their perception is, but lack the knowledge of knowing the people they are attacking.

Everyone here could have a great work ethic and still come off to someone else as having an attitude problem or someone who does not deserve to make the money they make.

The thing we need the most is each other to work together to rebuild a company that has seen some real hard times.
Together we can rebuild the airline into what we want, unless we give up and send Ual into BK.

This will happen if we keep pointing the fingers at one another.
We must decide that all employees who work for Ual deserve to earn a decent wage, and quit trying to take from another for our own gain.

We have hard decisions to make. Do we want to take cuts now to prtect our future? Do we want to change work rules to make the company more efficient? Are we willing to respect each other and let past history go and start anew?

Each one of us has a right to make an individual choice. Maybe one that some of us don't think is the right choice, but still it is the right of everyone to be able to vote their position. That's what makes our country so great.

Let's do what it takes to make it happen.
I mean, how many hours can the company work you every day? 8! You would be surprised how fast it goes when you are busy.

kcabpilot,

My mistake. Must've been a 'typo. Didn't mean to offend :)

As I've stated at numerous times in the past, I work in Resource Planning at WHQ. We build the flight schedules, decide what aircraft to put on each route, what time flights leave, how many frequencies in each market, that kind of thing. Oops and I forgot and surf the internet. Can't forget that one! Seeing as how we're in the information age, UA is gradually migrating from killing millions of trees each day and instead putting numerous reports and functions on the web. It's far more efficient and less costly. Also, the nature of my job entails that we MUST keep track of what competitors are doing. That entails having web access so that we can check OAG schedule tapes each week, scan industry press releases for information on competitor strategic movements, monitor OAL financial filings, etc. I'm not saying all the work is web-based, but a lot of it is. The average person would be surprised. I realize that it gets your panties in a bunch to see me posting messages while I'm at work. Maybe if you had an understanding of what we do and how we do it, you'd better understand the ability to use this form at times during work hours. But if you think I'm sitting here at work doing nothing all day but posting messages on this forum, you're more naive than I previously thought and probably had a wrench dropped on your head one too many times.

Two observations for my UAL bretheren...

(1) R&D. The IAM told U it was off limits, so U came up with a payscale to make up for it. The company claims it was worth $2/hour on the payscale. The IAM never told the membership that, they just came back beating their chests about how great a job they did keeping R&D. Tehn the membership found out what was given up in pay to keep it, and they went ballistic. The jobs associated with it are going out the door anyway, so all they accomplished was reducing membership pay even more (granted no retro cut in our union dues like our pay).

(2) Morale. The worst morale here at U is within the mechanic ranks, and it seems from what I read here the same holds true for UAL. Gee, what is the lowest common demoninator here? The IAM sould be four letters, it would be more fitting for what they do to us. Our work group got thrown into the union without a representation vote (nor anything from the IAM we got accreted in), and morale has gone to the pits ever since. They took a very efficient operation and mucked it all up. I was watching Band of Brothers today and it got me thinking, what if these guys had the same restrictions we have to work under? We would almost certainly be speaking German! It is time to throw these big labor AFL-CIO boys and their political ambitions out the door, just like putting the cat out for night!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/14/2002 2:59:21 AM N628AU wrote:

Two observations for my UAL bretheren...

(1) R&D. The IAM told U it was off limits, so U came up with a payscale to make up for it. The company claims it was worth $2/hour on the payscale. The IAM never told the membership that, they just came back beating their chests about how great a job they did keeping R&D. Tehn the membership found out what was given up in pay to keep it, and they went ballistic. The jobs associated with it are going out the door anyway, so all they accomplished was reducing membership pay even more (granted no retro cut in our union dues like our pay).

(2) Morale. The worst morale here at U is within the mechanic ranks, and it seems from what I read here the same holds true for UAL. Gee, what is the lowest common demoninator here? The IAM sould be four letters, it would be more fitting for what they do to us. Our work group got thrown into the union without a representation vote (nor anything from the IAM we got accreted in), and morale has gone to the pits ever since. They took a very efficient operation and mucked it all up. I was watching Band of Brothers today and it got me thinking, what if these guys had the same restrictions we have to work under? We would almost certainly be speaking German! It is time to throw these big labor AFL-CIO boys and their political ambitions out the door, just like putting the cat out for night!
----------------
[/blockquote]

N628AU

You have hit the nail on the head. People in this industry do no understand the crap that one has to put up with when your in one of these AFL-CIO UNIONS.

The IAM,TWU&IBT all have to look out for whats best for them not the membership. At UAL the hold up is the IAM is in a battle with AMFA so they don't want to have members percieve them as weak so their playing russian roulette with the company.

The bottom line is that the AFL-CIO has become a corporation all to itself and places the needs of the AFL-CIO and its political funding above all else!

I am a AMFA supporter at AA but I am not here to sale AMFA only to say It is good to see others are finally seeing and saying the truth about the IAM AND THEIR LIKES.

Good luck in the days to come and sorry to hear that the iam hijacked your work group.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, kcabpilot, once againg you're short on details. Why don't you share with all of us what is so unacceptable about what you've seen so far from the company. Maybe at some point, you folks will be smart enough to realize that if you don't have a deal in place and this company is forced to file for Ch.11, guess who's contract they will come after first? And when you consider that you're pretty much at industry leading, what do you think a judge is going to decide. It's basically the devil you know vs. the devil you don't. Either way, it's a losing situation. But in bankruptcy, you lose bigger!

kcabpilot,

Is the company still holding to the concessions that creighton threw at us? I thought that was gone. If they still want that stuff medical, I time and other things I hope nobody buys that.

The only thing has changed is the amount of money
in total for all groups.From what I have heard the company
still wants R+D,unlimited farmouts,selling off the bases,and
paycuts.Nobody would ever vote for that.If UAL put together
a package that people could accept maybe we would accept it.
Now its like handing me two loaded 45's and saying okay we need
you to commit suicide,you choose which pistol you want to
shoot yourself with.I choose neither and so will most people.
Maybe if all the other groups accepted most of their jobs farmed
out to non-union scab labor we would to,but I see that happening
to the mechanics.Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead!
Thanks for flying our aircraft to non-union scab labor
farmout companies you know it just may bite you in the ass.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/15/2002 10:19:55 AM gatemech wrote:

kcabpilot,

Is the company still holding to the concessions that creighton threw at us? I thought that was gone. If they still want that stuff medical, I time and other things I hope nobody buys that.

----------------
[/blockquote]
No one knows what the company or the IAM are doing in regards to Dist 141M. I have not seen any negotiation updates either at work or on the internet. I think we would all like to see something. I think we all deserve to be updated. However both the company and the IAM are very good at selling bad contracts and I suspect this is all part of the strategy. Make the membership nervous and job scared then give them very little time to evaluate the concessions before a hurried vote. I heard the votes are already counted and it passed 56% for 44% against. lol