Glenn Quagmire

Veteran
Apr 30, 2012
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/exclusive-meet-the-usafs-long-awaited-kc-46a-pegasus-t-1675663600

Exclusive: Meet The USAF's Long Awaited KC-46A Pegasus Tanker 

eium9egfj2bdkkeaobuk.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
Even without all the controversy, politicking, corruption, etc... The KC-46 *still* would have arrived almost a generation behind current air transport technology.

I hate to say it, but the MRTT would have been a more solid choice for our nation's armed forces, by almost any technical measure.

jimntx said:
Is it just me or does that thing look like a 737 with just the primer coat on?
It is a 767 airframe with an IR Gray paint. By the way, FEDEX is still taking deliveries of brand new 767's. It is a solid airframe and should perform well in its role as a tanker.

I wonder how long it will take for them to phase out the KC-135's.  The Wikipedia article claims that Air Force studies say the KC-135 could be viable until 2040, although with increasing maintenance costs.  Apparently the KC-10 is expected to remain in service until 2043.  These A/C don't see nearly the usage as their commercial counterparts though do they?

Glenn Quagmire said:
It is a 767 airframe with an IR Gray paint. By the way, FEDEX is still taking deliveries of brand new 767's. It is a solid airframe and should perform well in its role as a tanker.
Which is why I don't understand why the airlines can't still be taking delivery on new ones.  Regardless of what major airline you are talking about/to, they all seem to be bemoaning the lack of a good replacement for the 757 and the 767.

AdAstraPerAspera said:
Even without all the controversy, politicking, corruption, etc... The KC-46 *still* would have arrived almost a generation behind current air transport technology.

I hate to say it, but the MRTT would have been a more solid choice for our nation's armed forces, by almost any technical measure.

It would have been politically unacceptable for the tanker to be awarded to Airbus.  Every one knows that.  Now if they can only get the boom from falling off the MRTT.  ;)