Merge anyone know about this

AIRBORN1

Advanced
Feb 8, 2006
:up:
Heard United is in the works now for a big merge with Jetblue airlines. United needs more A320 aircraft to complete Ted and do more P.s. Service coast to coast and move many big plans to more profitable International routes and adding more International during the open skies in europe... So maybe its not CO and now it's Jetblue.....Perhaps annoucement by end of June for fall merge. This source is by a lawyer in Chicago who is working on this deal with UAL and Jetblue. I hate to put this out as a rumor until i get more informations. I heard the flight attendants and some upper management at Jetblue say the same now as i heard this from a source.

Perhaps we will get a florida base again soon. Maybe this is all about the new bases the union is courting with UAL to open soon.

:up:
Heard United is in the works now for a big merge with Jetblue airlines. United needs more A320 aircraft to complete Ted and do more P.s. Service coast to coast and move many big plans to more profitable International routes and adding more International during the open skies in europe... So maybe its not CO and now it's Jetblue.....Perhaps annoucement by end of June for fall merge. This source is by a lawyer in Chicago who is working on this deal with UAL and Jetblue. I hate to put this out as a rumor until i get more informations. I heard the flight attendants and some upper management at Jetblue say the same now as i heard this from a source.

Perhaps we will get a florida base again soon. Maybe this is all about the new bases the union is courting with UAL to open soon.
:lol: :lol: :lol: What are u smokin!??

some good $#it obviously . :lol: :lol:

ok- don't smoke.... laugh

Rumor heard from 2 different flight attendant's. I am only quoting what someone told me. The girlfriend of one of them is a lawyer in chicago and apparently part of the team working on jetblue/united purchase deal, and also confirmed by a pilot. Heard Delta is also in line for this.

United is going to announce in June its intention to buy jetblue. United needs Jetblue A320 to expand its Ted fleet making Ted it's primary North American Operation saving of hub-to-hub flyiing and the soon to be extended coast-to-coast P.S. Service, and freeing up equipment for more profitable international routes soon to come online at United in the next year. United needs Jetblue Pilots which are in short number, and in good to empty out the threat of summer 2007 version of summer 2000 meltdown.

We've seen Jetblue operation progessively deteriorating and the airline going from media darling to represent everything that is wrong in the airline business. Also it's shares has a significant decline in the last few months. Recently it's golden boy David Neelemen got the boot (so to speak), now this.

CNN/MONEY (Airline Consultant Mike Body) said the most serious problem is Jetblue in it's aggressive plane purchases, noting airline long-term prospects are uncertain "that could explode". Jetblue has a lof costs coming online and they will have a hard time filing airplanes. "he said" they will have to soon tell Wall Street that unbirdled continue growth is not in the cards and return some A320 nd Embraer. Layoffs will soon follow if changes aren't done sooner.

If you research on USaviation and CNN/Money they speak of Delta in the making. If Delta over United, Jetblue would have to give ups routes out JFK and LGA since Delta is already big up there. Delta now out of bankruptcy plans to go head to head with JETBLUE and AA is adding more flights in NY also as the new terminal is done next month at JFK.

Does anyone care to comment on this? Since One thinks i am smoking... Laugh

ok- don't smoke.... laugh

Rumor heard from 2 different flight attendant's. I am only quoting what someone told me. The girlfriend of one of them is a lawyer in chicago and apparently part of the team working on jetblue/united purchase deal, and also confirmed by a pilot. Heard Delta is also in line for this.

United is going to announce in June its intention to buy jetblue. United needs Jetblue A320 to expand its Ted fleet making Ted it's primary North American Operation saving of hub-to-hub flyiing and the soon to be extended coast-to-coast P.S. Service, and freeing up equipment for more profitable international routes soon to come online at United in the next year. United needs Jetblue Pilots which are in short number, and in good to empty out the threat of summer 2007 version of summer 2000 meltdown.

We've seen Jetblue operation progessively deteriorating and the airline going from media darling to represent everything that is wrong in the airline business. Also it's shares has a significant decline in the last few months. Recently it's golden boy David Neelemen got the boot (so to speak), now this.

CNN/MONEY (Airline Consultant Mike Body) said the most serious problem is Jetblue in it's aggressive plane purchases, noting airline long-term prospects are uncertain "that could explode". Jetblue has a lof costs coming online and they will have a hard time filing airplanes. "he said" they will have to soon tell Wall Street that unbirdled continue growth is not in the cards and return some A320 nd Embraer. Layoffs will soon follow if changes aren't done sooner.

If you research on USaviation and CNN/Money they speak of Delta in the making. If Delta over United, Jetblue would have to give ups routes out JFK and LGA since Delta is already big up there. Delta now out of bankruptcy plans to go head to head with JETBLUE and AA is adding more flights in NY also as the new terminal is done next month at JFK.

Does anyone care to comment on this? Since One thinks i am smoking... Laugh

Yeah, I think they're gonna buy Continental, Delta and Jet Blue, lots of airplanes and other stuff, because they're a great airline operator.

I heard this from a pilot last week as well... Will it bear fruit? Who knows. I also heard that the Aloha deal would dump some of our 737s on them, leaving us with a need for a large number of 2000nm-range planes, which B6 could provide.

Do the B6 A320s have the same engines as UA? I thought they were IAE, and we had something else... I'll have to research that a bit.

I have always maintained we needed to buy Polar/Atlas Air Cargo (They merged a few years ago). An instant 30+ fleet of 747-400F freighters, combined with our slots/routes worldwide and interplane connectivity would be potent.

I heard this from a pilot last week as well... Will it bear fruit? Who knows. I also heard that the Aloha deal would dump some of our 737s on them, leaving us with a need for a large number of 2000nm-range planes, which B6 could provide.

You know, when I first read this thread I couldn't help but laugh. But then I received an e-mail from ALPA with regard to Aloha. Your post got me thinking that, although a long shot, there could be some truth to it.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS PURE SPECULATION!

Here's what ALPA has to say -
"Many of you may have seen reports on May 4 concerning increased cooperation between United Airlines and Aloha Airlines regarding code sharing, frequent flier programs and the like. One news article mentioned that Aloha might “exploreâ€￾ possible aircraft acquisition, including aircraft surplus to United’s needs. ALPA has not been notified of any formal actions concerning an increased relationship between United and Aloha, and there have been no further press reports or statements from either airline.

There currently is no formal agreement between United and Aloha on any topic. As we stated on May 4, ALPA has engaged its attorneys in New York, Chicago and Washington, as well as the UAL-MEC Domestic Code Share Committee, to closely monitor the situation and ensure all contractual and other legal protections are strictly enforced. Management has assured us that there will be no cash investment in Aloha by United, and, as far as we can establish, there are no current plans to transfer any United aircraft to Aloha. As we also said on May 4, this remains a fluid situation and we will keep you advised as information is received."

Notice the few parts that I highlighted. If Aloha acquired UA's surplus 737's this would agree with the rumor you heard.

If UA management does not invest any cash, then perhaps assets like a number of 737's would be the currency of choice.

Then there is the disclaimer that there are no current plans BUT things could change. (ie: the situation is fluid.)

When I first saw the ALPA communication I was a bit confused because it seemed to me to come from left field. But when I started connecting the dots with this latest rumor, it kinda made me go Hmmmmmmm.

Now, to speculate even deeper, B6 is non-union, and very junior, so integration would be relatively easy, as long as no one gets bumped from their current position. (ie: Jet Blue captains.) UA has a severe manpower problem, and plans to start hiring pilots off the street in the fall. Any surplus pilots/FA's, CSR's, etc. resulting from a reduction of capacity, such as sending 737's to Aloha or canceling B6 aircraft orders could easily be absorbed and "right size" the work force overnight. This would avoid any need to furlough, so everyone keeps their job.

But that's as far as I will take this. We've seen so many rumors come and go over the past 5 years, I'll believe it when I see it.

You know, when I first read this thread I couldn't help but laugh. But then I received an e-mail from ALPA with regard to Aloha. Your post got me thinking that, although a long shot, there could be some truth to it.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS PURE SPECULATION!

Here's what ALPA has to say -
"Many of you may have seen reports on May 4 concerning increased cooperation between United Airlines and Aloha Airlines regarding code sharing, frequent flier programs and the like. One news article mentioned that Aloha might “exploreâ€￾ possible aircraft acquisition, including aircraft surplus to United’s needs. ALPA has not been notified of any formal actions concerning an increased relationship between United and Aloha, and there have been no further press reports or statements from either airline.

There currently is no formal agreement between United and Aloha on any topic. As we stated on May 4, ALPA has engaged its attorneys in New York, Chicago and Washington, as well as the UAL-MEC Domestic Code Share Committee, to closely monitor the situation and ensure all contractual and other legal protections are strictly enforced. Management has assured us that there will be no cash investment in Aloha by United, and, as far as we can establish, there are no current plans to transfer any United aircraft to Aloha. As we also said on May 4, this remains a fluid situation and we will keep you advised as information is received."

Notice the few parts that I highlighted. If Aloha acquired UA's surplus 737's this would agree with the rumor you heard.

If UA management does not invest any cash, then perhaps assets like a number of 737's would be the currency of choice.

Then there is the disclaimer that there are no current plans BUT things could change. (ie: the situation is fluid.)

When I first saw the ALPA communication I was a bit confused because it seemed to me to come from left field. But when I started connecting the dots with this latest rumor, it kinda made me go Hmmmmmmm.

Now, to speculate even deeper, B6 is non-union, and very junior, so integration would be relatively easy, as long as no one gets bumped from their current position. (ie: Jet Blue captains.) UA has a severe manpower problem, and plans to start hiring pilots off the street in the fall. Any surplus pilots/FA's, CSR's, etc. resulting from a reduction of capacity, such as sending 737's to Aloha or canceling B6 aircraft orders could easily be absorbed and "right size" the work force overnight. This would avoid any need to furlough, so everyone keeps their job.

But that's as far as I will take this. We've seen so many rumors come and go over the past 5 years, I'll believe it when I see it.

If the Usairways/America merger sets precedence putting the two pilot groups togather, a 3 year Jet Blue Captain will be filling those 777 Captain positions very soon.

Rumor heard from 2 different flight attendant's. I am only quoting what someone told me.

Well, if the source is galley gossip, it must be true. Just like that rumor that gets started at least once a month, that "there was a hijacking attempt on UAL/AA/CO/DL (pick whatever flavor is in this week) flight from London to U.S., but the Feds are keeping the news under wraps to keep public from knowing how bad security is in London."

I know it's true. My best friend's next door neighbor's second cousin's aunt was WORKING that flight--(no matter what airline it allegedly happened on). :lol: :lol: :lol:

If the Usairways/America merger sets precedence putting the two pilot groups togather, a 3 year Jet Blue Captain will be filling those 777 Captain positions very soon.
Actually, no it wouldn't. Jet Blue pilots would have access to nothing but Airbus & 737 flying for quite some time. And that's if ALPA merger policy is used. Since Jet blue is not ALPA, actually you could see something more like the AA/TWA merger, however without the furloughs.

I don't believe anyone would advocate stapling the Jet Blue pilots though. Putting an Airbus captain at the bottom would not be fair. Airbus captains would probably be slotted close to whatever seniority current UA Airbus captains are. Same with the f/o's, which is basically near the bottom since that's where our most junior pilots are. Then there would be restrictions for Jet Blue pilots bidding widebody aircraft for a period of time.

But this discussion is certainly putting the cart before the horse. We are still in the rumor phase. Let's see if there is any truth behind it before we talk seniority.

Lets be honest. I think you are wrong. The vast majority of UA pilots could not support any seniority integration that would disadvantage any UA pilot. Pilots at jetBlue would be stappled based on date of hire alone. I think you have the dynamic of UA pilots giving so much to this management that in effect gives them the ability to contemplate this kind of deal and at the same time the willingness of jetBlue pilots to work initially for wage rates that contributed to the low rates we all work for now, not to mention their apparent willingness for changing the 8 in 24 rule. A rebid of the jetBlue assets over a period of say two years would be an acceptable solution, hopefully UA would then begin to expand mitigating some of the pain for thejetBlue types.

I will say that I have had G Tlton on a flight to Paris and when asked who looked like a good consolidation bet, among the usual suspects jetBlue was mentioned. Who knows really, when it happens we will all read about it in USA today. I wouldn't stress about it.

ohcaptainron said:
I wouldn't get too excited - however i was doing a guppy trip the other day and my captain was talking about ALOHA maybe taking of our 737s -- very interesting.. something is brewing - hope it is good whatever it is.

Lets be honest. I think you are wrong. The vast majority of UA pilots could not support any seniority integration that would disadvantage any UA pilot. Pilots at jetBlue would be stappled based on date of hire alone. I think you have the dynamic of UA pilots giving so much to this management that in effect gives them the ability to contemplate this kind of deal and at the same time the willingness of jetBlue pilots to work initially for wage rates that contributed to the low rates we all work for now, not to mention their apparent willingness for changing the 8 in 24 rule. A rebid of the jetBlue assets over a period of say two years would be an acceptable solution, hopefully UA would then begin to expand mitigating some of the pain for thejetBlue types.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the above paragraph. Any union carrier that merges with JetBlue will take out a giant stapler after everything most of those guys have "contributed" to the industry. That's the risk they took I guess by using their discount airline pilot wages to subsidize their company's bottom line at everyone else's expense.