Not open for further replies.

gso-crew

Advanced
Jul 23, 2004
Merger mess stalls US Airways plans, savings
Union issues leave Air West separate

Dow Jones Newswires
Published July 1, 2007

Although Doug Parker, chief executive of US Airways Group Inc., remains a strong proponent of airline industry mergers, he's still working to get his company's house in order.

The low-cost airline came out of bankruptcy in September 2005, having cut costs and shed debt. The same day, it also completed its merger with regional carrier America West.

And even though the airline is in reasonably good financial shape -- reaping more than $11 billion in revenue and $303 million in net income last year and sitting atop $3 billion in the bank -- the operations of the two companies have yet to be combined because of problems merging their union groups.

That means the merger's planned cost savings are mostly stalled, which helps to explain why the stock trades at a discount to rivals.

Shares of the Tempe, Ariz., carrier recently hit a 52-week low, trading around $30 -- less than half the stock's 12-month high of $63.27, reached in November. With a forward price-to-earnings ratio of 5 versus an industry average of about 12, shares appear to be relatively cheap.

Ray Neidl, an analyst at Calyon Securities, recently lowered his price target on US Airways' stock to $46 from $63, mainly on rising fuel costs. But he still has a "buy" rating on the shares, citing the company's relatively low costs and clean balance sheet. Analysts reporting to Thomson Financial, on average, have a "buy" rating on the shares as well.

The fifth-largest U.S. airline by passenger traffic, US Airways' stock performance is pretty much in line with the rest of the industry.

But investors are worried that domestic passenger revenue growth may be slowing, along with the U.S. economy, while fuel and labor costs keep rising. At the same time, major U.S. airlines have cut costs, becoming serious competitors to low-cost carriers like US Airways.

Added to that, US Airways has consistently ranked last in industrywide customer service surveys.

"If we don't start running a good airline, we will drive customers away," Parker told shareholders at the company's annual meeting May 15.

The airline has said it would pay for 600 new ticket-sales kiosks and hire 1,000 employees to improve overall customer service.

Yet David Stempler, head of the Air Travelers Association, a travelers' advocacy group, said customer service rankings are not a serious problem in an industry where passengers, irked by crowded airports and flight delays, routinely put airlines in the doghouse.

"The main thing is the price of the ticket -- after that, it's the convenience of flights," Stempler said.

US Airways had ambitious plans for the merger to create millions of dollars of revenue and cost synergies, initially adding revenue as it bridged complementary route systems -- with US Airways flying in the northeastern U.S. and America West in the West.

But thorny labor problems are holding back cost savings. Until pilots, flight attendants, mechanics and other ground workers ratify new contracts the airline continues to operate two parallel businesses. The unions are struggling to sort out seniority issues and mesh different work cultures.

Money is an issue. As with other airlines, US Airways employees want to share in the recent financial recovery of their company. Contract negotiations can last for years and, in the worst case, work slowdowns and strikes can cripple an airline's operations.

No one's saying that's where US Airways is headed. But, with industry pressures increasing, US Airways would have a harder time responding to a potential downturn than Delta Air Lines Inc. and Northwest Airlines Corp., both lean companies just out of bankruptcy, or Continental Airlines Corp. and AMR Corp.'s American Airlines, said Mike Boyd, head of the Boyd Group Inc., an airline consultancy.

Jim Corridore, an equity analyst with Standard & Poor's, said US Airways' merger plan hit further turbulence when management "took its eye off the ball," neglecting its core business to pursue another merger. Parker and his team fought hard in a hostile bid for the much-larger Delta. That offer, made in November, was rebuffed by Delta as it chose to fly solo upon exiting from bankruptcy.

US Airways' most significant issue came in March, with a failed plan to merge the airlines' two reservations systems. That resulted in massive flight cancellations.

"There is no question that our operation suffered in the February-March time frame, but we've made significant progress since then," Parker said in a statement. "Our on-time performance continues to improve; we're making steady progress in labor negotiations, and our employees are focused on delivering the operational performance all of us expect. Financially, we are performing much better than our competitors and we expect that to continue."

Corridore said he believes that US Airways can work out its labor problems. It's up to managers to remind labor groups that boom times in the cyclical airline business can be short-lived, he said.

But Corridore, who has a "hold" rating on US Airways' shares, cautions that the airline industry is too risky for long-term investors.

:down:

Boy ... they sure glossed that one over (again). DP and Crew are still Wall Street Darlings.

Why doesn't the stuff you folks post here about the operational mess get covered by the Financial Media? Analysts must ignore the truth, as far as I can see!

2B

Corridore said he believes that US Airways can work out its labor problems. It's up to managers to remind labor groups that boom times in the cyclical airline business can be short-lived, he said.

Apparently nobody bothered to tell Dougweiser and the gang about the boom time theory, that just applies to labor. :down:

WE need to find a way to UN-MERGE this airline and let A-West go there own way!!!!!!!

I agree LUVTHE 9.....
But that won't happen. The best we can hope for is to keep seperate certificates and run our own operations as is.

I think that would be the best thing to do. The West just had a few bad days recently, but mostly the operation runs very smooth out here, except when we get back east, then things start to fall apart it seems. Sometimes it just seems like the east people just really dont' care much about the company or the customer. I got stuck the other day in a storm in FLL and the the gate agents, baggage guys, just didn't seem to want to help anyone, we dont usually get that kind of treatment in a west city. I only fly the minimum hours (45) so i'm not always in the messes that I read about on here, but except for weather, i'm always on time.

running 2 ops is not the key here. we need to get to one certificate and one contract pronto!! keeping it separate looks like what the company wants . divide and conquer. the longer we reamain separate the more animosity builds. that's not good for either side. the pilot seniority issue also needs to be resolved. i think there is another player in chicago that might get into the mix here pretty soon. and if that happens the hp pilots need to becareful cause therei s no way in hell that the guys in chi-town are gonna let happen to them what happened to the east guys.

I think that would be the best thing to do. The West just had a few bad days recently, but mostly the operation runs very smooth out here, except when we get back east, then things start to fall apart it seems. Sometimes it just seems like the east people just really dont' care much about the company or the customer. I got stuck the other day in a storm in FLL and the the gate agents, baggage guys, just didn't seem to want to help anyone, we dont usually get that kind of treatment in a west city. I only fly the minimum hours (45) so i'm not always in the messes that I read about on here, but except for weather, i'm always on time.
No offense and I have alot of respect for you DesertFA but AWA rarely runs a smooth operation, constant misconnects and tight connections, oversold flights, too many underpaid new-hires without the experience, and biggest of all, employees who never had the proper tools to do the job. The East employees are now getting a taste of how AWA ran on a daily basis and they know that something's rotten in the State of Denmark. I will say that I have seen some East employees that seem to have some grudge against AWA and it's employees and the way they react and treat that operation is totally inappropriate and unwarranted. I think these people in PHL or FLL or wherever that continue to act like this need to realize that they should be held to a higher standard and when the poop hits the fan they should step up and show the West employees how the nasty East Coast ATC and Weather delays are handled.

Maybe they didn't pick up on your better than thou attitude.

That always motivates people to offer a little extra.

The main reason the operation falls apart in the east is because we have been crippled by the worst res system in the history of aviation ........ SHARES. If you want to see thing change rapidly for the better bring back the King of Res Systems SABRE>>>>>>>>>>>>>SABRE>>>>>>>>>>>SABRE The west never had a system as good as Sabre so they don't realize what crap shares really is. SHARES = POS.

The main reason the operation falls apart in the east is because we have been crippled by the worst res system in the history of aviation ........ SHARES. If you want to see thing change rapidly for the better bring back the King of Res Systems SABRE>>>>>>>>>>>>>SABRE>>>>>>>>>>>SABRE The west never had a system as good as Sabre so they don't realize what crap shares really is. SHARES = POS.
i could not agree more!!

I keep this about shares, but in all honesty shares isn't a problem in the west cities and never has been. To say that it's crippling things confuses me or is an excuse. I have 15 years seniority here and it was always hard to have new hires all the time. My mind is open, I don't work full time but since east joined in, everyone keeps saying how bad things are :angry: when I go to work in the west, everyone seems pretty happy :D and nothing has changed much, but we do have a few bad days, but mostly good ones with how the airline runs. :up:

I just feel frustrated :blink: by all of the negative things i always hear, it makes me want to quit, :( but i love my job, i love who i work with, i love the time off, i love the benefits, why can't some people see that :D

We are all prisoners in the sea of ALPA but who could not see it coming I know that DP and his madhatters realized that East Coast Leaders would bow and blow him. These are individuals that have carried around this charade for how many contracts. It is a shame but I have nothing but real personal stories about your leaders It stated with BEBEE, TOSI,WORTHLESS,Pollack,baby son of Jack Stephan. How can you guys think that anyone takes you seriously.Lets not forget Don B who has dinner and drinks at Dougie house. It sounds like you guys are marshmellows

Lets see . Shares has lousy availibility displays that are updated once or twice per week . It has pathetic , if any international availibility. It take many more key strokes just to find something, let alone getting it done. First you have to find which keypad it might be on. It doesn't do anything well. Just look at Flifo, standby processing etc. How many times have you entered something multiple times before it works , even when everything is correct. It still doesn't work for international. Why 4 months later doesn't this system work correctly yet? West never had to run an operation anything like we run in the east , so they don't understand. They had hours after a flight left to figure it all out. With the east operation in our largest cities, no sooner has one flight left and the next one is at the gate , so we don't have the time or the personnel to do all the extra crap that shares requires to close a flight, do oversales etc. In sabre world a single agent could work an oversale and still get a flight out , with shares it's all but impossible. Let the west agents learn and try sabre and I bet they will see what a piece of garbage shares is. Sabre makes sense , shares doesn't. An EDS tech said we did not revert 20 years in technology with this migration but 30 years backwards. If it really was a good system other airlines would use it. To date only CO uses shares and not the same version we use. They allow their agents to use native shares. Why is it that OCC in PIT uses native shares, heck even the executive services reps in PHX don't use qik/shares but use native shares and have little good to say about qik/shares. How is it a good thing when it takes 15-20 mins to take care of a passenger problem , when it used to take 5 or less? We should expect better. Since moving to shares we have had nothing but miserable performance. Our operations prior to shares had our ot arrivals-14 in the 80-85% (east), now thanks to shares we are at the bottom of every catagory. All the IT dept is doing is putting lipstick and makeup on the pig. If shares was really a good system , why is the IT dept making a frantic effort to have it work like sabre? They are trying to make shares into sabre light. Shares has managed to take our operation into the seveth level of hell. Thank you DP and friends. They have managed to turn our operation into the laughing stock of the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts