Merger mess stalls US Airways plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the east employees seem abit frazzeled it is totally because shares has made their job nearly impossible to do well. Things that used to take mere seconds now take 10-15 mins. I would venture to say that if you surveyed east agents on their thoughts about shares , virtually EVERYONE thinks it is garbage and absolutely hates it and wishes it would just go away and die.If the company really wants better results they are going to have to give us the proper tools to do our job and shares ain't it. What kind of sense did it make to retrain 3/4's of the total airport employees rather than the much smaller 1/4 for a system that they had to know was totally inadequate for our needs. Remember in SABRE days , you generally had 1 agent per flight and it worked and the planes left on time. HP can't get a flight out OT with 4 agents working shares because of all the problems its has with things like dupe seats, and ticket adjustments etc. There are simply no words to describe just how pathetic shares really is other than saying it is a total,absolute POS. The sooner the company reevaluates this tragic error the better so we can get this operation back on track . The longer we wait to get rid of shares the longer it will be until we right this ship and get it back on course. This system simply cannot be cheaper to operate , look at all the money it has already cost us because it can't do anything right yet , 4 months after migration. Mistakes cost money and this mistake is costing us millions . Not only in dollars and cents but also in passenger loyalty. how smart is it to let elites walk away in favor of Ma & Pa Kettle and their youngins that buy the cheapest fares once a year. Smart , well thought out business plans are not one of Tempe's strong suits. What will the company do if the 2 consulting firms would recommend getting rid of shares ?

I happen to be aware of the number of what was HP's highest level of elite (PLatinum) and I can tell you it was less than 10% of the total number of Chairman's Preferred. That's one reason why when you look over the 2006 number you'll take note that ALL as in 100% of the '06 profit was generated on the east. As for the vaunted "Stepford Stare" I've seen in PHX and LAS since I started flying back in 2000. You forget I was in Sky Harbor the day that the FAA nearly grounded your little third world banana republic airline.

For the record and I've said it here before, there are some truly wonderful people on the Front Lines in PHX, especially in the Clubs, there is one lady who is probably the best club rep in the system in PHX after Berna in LAX.

The company can't complete a customer transaction without intervention. It's a joke. Frankly I think ALL of the PHX & LAS G/A's should come work for a month in PHL, LGA, BOS & DCA and get the full flavor of the abortion known as SHARES and the experience of interacting with the customers your wonderful little Banana Republic Airline is doing its level best to drive away.

We'll thanks for complimenting us front line employees on the west. If you read my post clearly, I agree totally about the res system being crap! We get just as many Banana Republic Airline on both sides, driving the customer away is a mgmt problem, not an employee issue. I am just as frustrated as you. But I am loyal to all customers regardless, because they chose to fly US! I don't take my frustrations out on the people that pay me! :rolleyes:

US Airways CEO Doug Parker Responds to Letter from the CWA/IBT Association Leaders
June 18, 2007CWA

June 14, 2007

Dear Mr. Hoffa and Mr. Cohen:

First let me apologize for the length of time in responding to your March 12, 2007 correspondence citing your concerns over Customer Service Res migration and associated issues with training, kiosks, and airport staffing. We have all been hard at work making improvements to our operation. We have kept your local CWA/IBT representatives well informed of our progress on this front and assumed that served as being responsive to your letter. Recently one of your representatives suggested to me that I still should respond in writing, though, and I am happy to do so.

On the kiosk front, we have implemented many software changes to fix the initial problems encountered after cutover. Beyond that, we announced in April that we planned to purchase over 600 state-of-art kiosks to be deployed system wide. That rollout is now underway and should be complete by this summer. The good news is that the kiosks are now functioning well, and we're striving to make them more reliable and functional than ever before.

We have also been working on many changes to the Shares / QIK system to improve functionality including standby processing, flight close out, involuntary reroute processing, flifo, over sale processing, and others. Many of these enhancements are being driven straight from agent working teams in our airports and call centers. In addition, our Technology Group is improving the stability and reliability of the infrastructure across our network, including common use locations and remote islands in the Caribbean.

We are also addressing Customer Service staffing system wide. We announced in April that we intended to hire over 1000 new employees in our airports and we are well on track to meet that objective. We are working to actually obtain a staffing buffer above authorized levels in order to help with the heavy summer traffic.

You mentioned a concern that we hired temporary employees during the migration. I have checked with our team and they indicate that we did not hire any temporary employees. During some of the initial days where kiosk reliability was low, we did use airport agents and other employees to staff a temporary center where airports could call to obtain help in driving boarding passes, as available overtime had been exhausted. As soon as was practicable we stopped that practice and even while running, it was largely comprised of represented agents from PHX.

In summary, none of us was happy with the immediate aftermath of our reservations migration. The good news is that, thanks to our outstanding employees, we are again functioning well and taking care of our customers. We still have steps to take on this front, but we are very encouraged by the progress.

Thank you for your interest in our customers and our employees. I appreciate your feedback very much.

Sincerely,

Doug Parker

US Airways CEO Doug Parker Responds to Letter from the CWA/IBT Association Leaders
June 18, 2007CWA
June 14, 2007

Dear Mr. Hoffa and Mr. Cohen:

First let me apologize for the length of time in responding to your March 12, 2007 correspondence citing your concerns over Customer Service Res migration and associated issues with training, kiosks, and airport staffing. We have all been hard at work making improvements to our operation. We have kept your local CWA/IBT representatives well informed of our progress on this front and assumed that served as being responsive to your letter. Recently one of your representatives suggested to me that I still should respond in writing, though, and I am happy to do so.

On the kiosk front, we have implemented many software changes to fix the initial problems encountered after cutover. Beyond that, we announced in April that we planned to purchase over 600 state-of-art kiosks to be deployed system wide. That rollout is now underway and should be complete by this summer. The good news is that the kiosks are now functioning well, and we're striving to make them more reliable and functional than ever before.

We have also been working on many changes to the Shares / QIK system to improve functionality including standby processing, flight close out, involuntary reroute processing, flifo, over sale processing, and others. Many of these enhancements are being driven straight from agent working teams in our airports and call centers. In addition, our Technology Group is improving the stability and reliability of the infrastructure across our network, including common use locations and remote islands in the Caribbean.

We are also addressing Customer Service staffing system wide. We announced in April that we intended to hire over 1000 new employees in our airports and we are well on track to meet that objective. We are working to actually obtain a staffing buffer above authorized levels in order to help with the heavy summer traffic.

You mentioned a concern that we hired temporary employees during the migration. I have checked with our team and they indicate that we did not hire any temporary employees. During some of the initial days where kiosk reliability was low, we did use airport agents and other employees to staff a temporary center where airports could call to obtain help in driving boarding passes, as available overtime had been exhausted. As soon as was practicable we stopped that practice and even while running, it was largely comprised of represented agents from PHX.

In summary, none of us was happy with the immediate aftermath of our reservations migration. The good news is that, thanks to our outstanding employees, we are again functioning well and taking care of our customers. We still have steps to take on this front, but we are very encouraged by the progress.

Thank you for your interest in our customers and our employees. I appreciate your feedback very much.

Sincerely,

Doug Parker

That is fine and dandy. Are you going to start showing US the money??!! Giving us the proper tools to do our job, instead of making excuses! :p

Crusher is RIGHT ON ! CWA needs to get crusher with full labor support after a nightmare week(s) at PHL and sit him down at a meeting between the US Airways Labor Union Committee members and the members of the Labor Committee for US Airways and shut the door. And come out with immediate results
I got to this thread late. Our station got our A$$ handed to them the pass two weeks.

That letter is just more BS and spin from the Sand Castle. Where did they find the person that wrote it , the Clinton administration? Things are NOT improving and we ARE NOT taking proper care of our passengers. Shares simply doesn't give us enough tools to do the job ,nor will it ever be able to. Here in DCA we have gotten beaten up on a daily basis for weeks. Our Special Services counter has had line all the way down the concourse all day long. How have things improved if a passenger is still waiting in line for 2 hours and we can't get them to their destination for 2 days? I work on the gates 1 day per week and I dread it every week. It has been a nonstop nightmare since migration and any improvement has been minimal. If Tempe really wants to improve "GIVE US OUR SABRE BACK" I wish I could just go up to Parker and Kirby , shake them , slap them across the face and ask them what were they thinking when they decided to go to shares , then tell them to get this company moving forward instead of backwards and restart SABRE immediately.

I agre. I was just in Chicago and was talking to the east gate agent. She said, she hates working the east planes because they're always broken and always late. She prefers the west planes 'cause we're always on time. lol

I think the East has had a infrastructure problem for a long time relating to the interior repair of their a/c. West a/c, do have maintenance problems, but they don't seem to be as ongoing as East a/c. Sure, a pac is not working, apu inop, etc,. but interiors, av systems, reading lights, etc, are most always fixed on the first or second transit through PHX or LAS. Operationally, the west is again hit with really bad days, seems to happen in the summer when the weather hits over 120 degrees on the ramp such as now. Maintenace delays have increased over the past two weeks.

Geez I see he responds almost as fast to his employees as he does to his customers! :down:

I had such high hopes for this airline that maybe it would FINALLY reach it's full potential. Well that ship clearly sailed and was lost at sea.

Have you noticed all of the grumbling isn't about First Class anymore, but rather actually getting someplace the same day as you booked the ticket.
Pineybob, do you truly like to fly US? OR are you just complaining because it feels good? I just wonder why you are SO negative? It seems you are a loyal elite member, and so why the constant negativity in your posts??? I am afraid to ask? What makes you happy? Our gives you content? Think about that. :D

That is fine and dandy. Are you going to start showing US the money??!! Giving us the proper tools to do our job, instead of making excuses! :p
Why are you so negative do you truly like working at US. What makes you happy? Our gives you content? Are you just complaining because it feels good? It seems you are a loyal elite employee. Think about that.

Why are you so negative do you truly like working at US. What makes you happy? Our gives you content? Are you just complaining because it feels good? It seems you are a loyal elite employee. Think about that.
I asked questions. Give us proper tools is a "want", not a negative. Money is a want too.

I asked questions. Give us proper tools is a "want", not a negative. Money is a want too.
And most posts I have made are always looking at the brighter side of things. Always complimenting the employees and the airline. ;)

Prior to shares , the Shuttle operated like clockwork in all 3 cities (LGA<DCA<BOS). Now thanks to shares getting the shuttle flights out on time is nearly impossible. Shares simply takes too long to do anything. Changes,clearing standbys etc just bogs down the entire process down and as a result at least in DCA the shuttle is now rarely if ever on time. And as if the shares problem wasn't enough , maintanance now has the antiquated sceptor system dropped on them instead of keeping the far superior merlin system. Does HP have a habit of getting rid of far superior products in favor of a different product just because it was cheaper , even if it can't do nearly what the old systems(SABRE<MERLIN) did?

What makes me happy airline travel wise?

To be treated like a customer who has an annual "spend" in excess of what many of the workers at US Airways earn.

Do I want my ass permanently kissed on every occassion? No, once or twice a year will suffice :D

I want to make a reservation over the web and not have the IT department lose it 3 times in 4 months. In addition while I found the two people I dealt with to very polite and helpful. 17 e-mails and 11 phone calls does NOT constitute a smooth transaction. The idea in modern business is to take my money with minimum human interaction. Where this a one time thing, I'd write it off. I finally told Customer Relations after just under $1,000.00 worth of vouchers to stop sending them. I hardly ever bother to complain to US because it falls on deaf ears. On here someone will tell me to F___OFF, which at least shows they read the post. Which is more than I can say for Tempe.

I would like to go to the counter and get a correct boarding pass and not stand there for 10 minutes while someone figures out how to make it work. This was in PHX where SHARES works soooooo well.

I want to be able to book with confidence knowing that the on time stats for that flight are NOT in the 30% range as they often are now.

When I call Customer Relations I would like some consideration of the dollars I spend when determining how to address various issues that crop up.

Edited to add: I want a nice Gin & Tonic, preferrably Tanqueray and please board more than 6 minis. I need to be drunk to tolerate the place.

This airline in it's current condition is an abject failure and no one is held accountable at ANY level and I have the DOT stats to support my argument.

At FFOCUS we are literally flooded on a daily basis with horror stories and requests for help. It wears on my patience but it also strengthens my resolve..

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I was flying US Airways when Doug Parker got here and I'll be flying US Airways when he is gone. Parker needs to pull his head out and run the freaking airline or get the hell out and let someone else try. Frankly I don't care which he does just so long as he does it quickly.

You get what you pay for... And you are obviously attracting everything you think about. So this makes good sense. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back