Mesa Ceo Expects Us Airways To End Its Contract

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Mesa CEO expects US Airways to end its contract in court
Karen Ferrick-Roman, Times Staff
05/17/2005
PHOENIX - More change is expected at US Airways Express.

Though passengers might not notice, alliances being forged, renewed and broken in the airline industry will change which regional operator is flying for major airlines.

On Monday, the chief executive officer of Mesa Air Group, a regional carrier flying largely for US Airways and America West, said he anticipated that US Airways will end its contract in bankruptcy court and those 50-plus planes have been allocated to other airlines.

Click for Story

700UW said:
Mesa flies for HP.
[post="270300"][/post]​

Having worked with Mesa for what seems like more than a decade, beginning with RDU-SWF, I can only say this. I think U is far better off without them. Mind you, that is not a slap at their crews, but rather Mesa's management.

later dude! B)

As someone else noted on the same topic a week or so ago, there's still the ERJ-145's that Mesa flys for US. Neither the UA nor DL deal include those - they're both CRJ deals. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

Incidently, Mike Boyd's "Hot Flash" yesterday dealt with this same issue.

Hot Flash - May 16

Jim

This is a positive for all US/HP. I have had the distinct displeasure of riding on Mes-up for a while now. Their presentation to passengers is anything but professional, their attitudes are cavalier and they are for the most part...unscheduled. I always need a backup for Mesa.

BoeingBoy said:
As someone else noted on the same topic a week or so ago, there's still the ERJ-145's that Mesa flys for US.  Neither the UA nor DL deal include those - they're both CRJ deals.  Be interesting to see how it plays out.

Incidently, Mike Boyd's "Hot Flash" yesterday dealt with this same issue.

Hot Flash - May 16

Jim
[post="270308"][/post]​

Actually, Orenstein said in no uncertain terms, during the conference call, that 59 aircraft would be removed from US Airways and placed at UAL and DAL... When asked about the CRJ/ERJ issue, he stammered a while before saying the logistics of who gets the ERJs (DAL or UAL) was still being worked out on the basis of MX bases, crew bases, etc.

He also referred to being in the "eviable position of short by one airplane".

Orenstein noted that US Airways has not yet cancelled its contract, but Mesa expects it to happen. In the event that the contract is not cancelled, he's relatively ok with finding used 50-seat RJ's to statisfy the UAL and DAL deals.

Lastly, he thinks there is growth possible at a combined HP-US based on the US scope clause for 55 90-seat jets, and the fact that they only fly 38 of them for HP now...

No problems... It was I that brought up the CRJ/ERJ issue in the press releases (the issue being that both press releases indicated that the contracts were for 30 CRJ's each, and there were only 23 CRJ's to remove from US). Because of my interest in the topic... I made it a point to listen to the call...

Its interesting, since US has 36 ERJ's both carriers will end up with at least some ERJ's... Seems to me like this will be an integration mess for Mesa.