MIA news: SCL 777; more DEN, CLT; MIA-LHR 2x daily year-round (it appears)

MAH4546

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
Some various AA news from MIA.

-Santiago de Chile becomes a 777-200 on 2 July.
-Charlotte, NC gets a second flight 2 July.
-Denver, CO second flight, canceled last March, is back 15 December.
-The just updated scheds show the second MIA-LHR frequency becoming year-round. Until recently it terminated 26Mar04. It has now been uploaded into the perliminary summer 2004 sched, and AA 66/67 (that''s the ORD-LHR flight that this slot uses during the summer) has been wiped out after 24Oct03.
-What in the world is going on with Eagle? MIA flying is at record lows. Only three dailies to Freeport now? There are rumours that Continental is looking at Skywest to replace Gulfstream to provide thier intra-Florida/Florida-Bahamas service. If this happens, SkyWest would base out of FLL, not MIA and FLL like Gulfstream does now. IMO, great window of oppurtunity to have Gulfstream shift all ops to MIA, become and become an American Connection carrier, serving smaller markets, while Eagle can finally start ridding of thier ATRs from MIA (NAS, JAX, RSW, and FPO can take the RJs). Just my two cents.

----------------
On 5/19/2003 1:35:30 PM FA Mikey wrote:

SCL a 777 so the foreign national get more bid positions.

----------------​

Well foreign nationals are also our customers ... or shall we become a US citizen only airline? Wonder how much money we will loose then....
We have a dominant position in Latin America because among other things we are a large employer in those countries.
And foreign carriers do employ US citizens even crew.

----------------
On 5/19/2003 4:32:27 PM BDLDFW wrote:

----------------
----------------​

Wow, that''s the reason for the equipment upgrade?

----------------​
Actually, I think it''s so there will be First Class since the 763s no longer feature it.

----------------
----------------​

----------------
On 5/19/2003 4:44:14 PM FWAAA wrote:

----------------
On 5/19/2003 4:32:27 PM BDLDFW wrote:

----------------
----------------​

----------------​
Actually, I think it''s so there will be First Class since the 763s no longer feature it.

----------------​

That is my understanding too. Santiago de Chile has good business traffic, or so I hear. Also, keep them more in line with partner LanChile, since LanChile offers 3-class service too (and LanChile''s service is known to be top notch).

However, looks like DFW-SCL is gone next winter. It is becoming a summer-only route. Though may this means the return of the second daily seasonal MIA-SCL after a two year haitus?

..and why shouldnt Mikey be concerned with his flying going to another base-and a FN base at that...After the hit we have taken here- we are guarding everything we have left-like a mother protecting her young...we owe nothing to the FN f/as...sure, they do a great job..and citizens of their contry make up a percent of our pax...but we take care of "ours" first..more than just more choices of schedules-and layovers are at stake now-its our very livley hood......

----------------
On 5/19/2003 7:14:42 PM Skyhungry wrote:

What FA Mickey meant when he/she said more bids for foreign nationals has nothing to do with our customers. "Foreign Nationals" are Foreign Flight Attendants. Those that are not based in the U.S. (i.e., Santiago, Buenos Aires, Lima, etc.) and fly out of Miami.

----------------​

I know what he meant. That the foreign based flight attendants will benefit from that upgrade. So what is the problem with that? If we want to make business in foreign countries and benefit from it, we should give something back

What FA Mickey meant when he/she said more bids for foreign nationals has nothing to do with our customers. "Foreign Nationals" are Foreign Flight Attendants. Those that are not based in the U.S. (i.e., Santiago, Buenos Aires, Lima, etc.) and fly out of Miami.

Can''t say I have ever heard or read where someone would say, Too bad its not a FN crew. They do on the other hand thank God that they get on with a US based crew.

I wonder how many foreign based airlines hire and use US nationals for there flights to and from the US. Answer None.

----------------
On 5/19/2003 7:33:30 PM air_guy wrote:

I know what he meant. That the foreign based flight attendants will benefit from that upgrade. So what is the problem with that? If we want to make business in foreign countries and benefit from it, we should give something back

----------------​
Give what, our jobs? Dont think so.

----------------
On 5/19/2003 8:26:30 PM FA Mikey wrote:

I wonder how many foreign based airlines hire and use US nationals for there flights to and from the US. Answer None.

----------------​

Wrong.

Iberia hires US national flight attendants for their MIA base. They''re represented by AFA and have been since 2001.

Also, Gulf Air and Emirates both actively look for US nationals to work for as flight attendants, even though neither currently flies to the US (Emirates will be starting service to JFK next year). Positions are based in Bahrain and Dubai respectively, and as an ex-patriot, company provided housing is usually included.

Cathay Pacific has YVR based US and Canadian based flight attendants.

Cathay also has pilot crew bases in ANC, LAX, ORD, and SFO for their freigher operation.

This isn''t just limited to North America, either. JAL hires UK/DE/EU nationals to be flight attendants based at LHR and FRA.

I''m sure there are others, Mikey.

----------------
On 5/20/2003 9:19:24 AM eolesen wrote:

----------------
On 5/19/2003 8:26:30 PM FA Mikey wrote:

----------------​

Wrong.

Iberia hires US national flight attendants for their MIA base. They''re represented by AFA and have been since 2001.

Also, Gulf Air and Emirates both actively look for US nationals to work for as flight attendants, even though neither currently flies to the US (Emirates will be starting service to JFK next year). Positions are based in Bahrain and Dubai respectively, and as an ex-patriot, company provided housing is usually included.

Cathay Pacific has YVR based US and Canadian based flight attendants.

Cathay also has pilot crew bases in ANC, LAX, ORD, and SFO for their freigher operation.

This isn''t just limited to North America, either. JAL hires UK/DE/EU nationals to be flight attendants based at LHR and FRA.

I''m sure there are others, Mikey.

----------------​

I believe AF has FAs based at both MIA and LAX.

----------------
On 5/19/2003 8:27:41 PM FA Mikey wrote:

----------------
On 5/19/2003 7:33:30 PM air_guy wrote:

----------------​
Give what, our jobs? Dont think so.

----------------​
Beautiful. Just Beautiful.

Want to be an international airline, flying all over the world, but don''t want AA hiring any of "them" to be FAs.

Do you harbor the same hatred toward non-citizen, US resident FAs? I''m sure you can find some.

I did not mean give back your or my job. I meant that as a company we should maintain employment presence in the places we fly, beyond ground personnel when it makes sense. And we should not be upset, bitter or jelaous when a minimal scheduling decison benefit one vs. the other. Those bases go back to Panagra/Braniff/Eastern and now American, and having that presence allowed the holder airline to maintain strong brand/network presence in the region. Thanks to all the posters that confirmed that, this is indeed an international business