Lots Of New Mia Service

MAH4546

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
Lot's of new MIA frequencies coming this summer. Compared to last summer, only three destinations loose flights: DCA, LGA, and SJU loose one daily each. The additional winter-only dailies that were added to BOS, TPA, and YUL last November have been extended into the summer. Second Heathrow flight will also operate this summer on Saturdays. LIR, IND, RIC, and MSP continued as well. Mainline will not operate MIA-PIT this summer, though, only Eagle. IND and MSP have done very well, PIT not nearly as good.

All in all, extra dailies to the following:
Atlanta/ATL +1 (6)
Belize City/BZE +4w (2)
Bogota/BOG +1 (3)
Cancun/CUN +1d,2w (5)
Caracas/CCS +1 (5)
Ft. Myers/RSW +1 (4)
Freeport/FPO +1 (4)
Grand Cayman/GCM +1 (3)
Houston/IAH +1 (4)
Medellin/MDE +2w (1)
Montego Bay/MBJ +1 (3)
Nassau/NAS +1 (13)
New York City/JFK +1 (6)
Orlando/MCO +1 (5)
Port-Au-Prince/PAP +2 (4)
Punta Cana/PUJ +3w (1d, 3w)
Quito/UIO +1w (2)
San Pedro Sula/SAP +2w (1d, 5w)
San Salvador/SAL +3w (1d, 6w)
Santo Domingo/SDQ +1 (4)
Tampa/TPA +1 (5)
Tegucigalpa/TGU +4w (1d, 4w)

We should hear of a new destination or two during the month, hopefully.

isn't american also looking to fill the void that UAL left by adding additional rts to EZE and GRU???

fliboi78 said:
isn't american also looking to fill the void that UAL left by adding additional rts to EZE and GRU???
No. United did not abandon the routes. They are just moving the origin of one to IAD and ORD for the other. You can not fly into Brazil without permission from the Brazilian government. I think the same applies to Argentina. United leaving Miami did not create any vacant "slots" at the destinations.

And, there's not really a "void". There is service to Sao Paulo on AA, CO (from IAH), DL (from ATL), and on Varig, LanChile, and TAM--not all of it non-stop, but the service is there.

jimntx said:
No. United did not abandon the routes. They are just moving the origin of one to IAD and ORD for the other. You can not fly into Brazil without permission from the Brazilian government. I think the same applies to Argentina. United leaving Miami did not create any vacant "slots" at the destinations.

And, there's not really a "void". There is service to Sao Paulo on AA, CO (from IAH), DL (from ATL), and on Varig, LanChile, and TAM--not all of it non-stop, but the service is there.
They are only moving EZE to ORD. They will no longer have three daily flights to GRU after the MIA flight is gone. Only two, one from IAD and one from ORD.

And, while the GRU market is well served, there will be a big void in the Miami-Buenos Aires market with UA's departure. AA will most likely fill it by making both flights a 777 year-round instead of just seasonally. The frequency void will be filled next fall thanks to LanArgentia.

well according to aafltsvc.com (american's flight service website)...yes, american is filling its papers to fly additional EZE and GRU flights from miami.

For all the "NEW" destinations, where are they? Here AA has more flights to "OLD" destinations. When does Capetown, Manchester UK, Milan or Dublin start? These would be "NEW" destination for AA from Miami. MIA needs more then the "old" Europe, South America & USA route structure. MIA will finally graduate to bring truly worldwide when an Asian airline comes to MIA.

I'm surprised this has not happened as the woman now director for MIA worked at SFO before in the same job. SFO has all those wonderful airlines, so the relationship esxists.

JFK777 said:
For all the "NEW" destinations, where are they? Here AA has more flights to "OLD" destinations. When does Capetown, Manchester UK, Milan or Dublin start? These would be "NEW" destination for AA from Miami. MIA needs more then the "old" Europe, South America & USA route structure. MIA will finally graduate to bring truly worldwide when an Asian airline comes to MIA.

I'm surprised this has not happened as the woman now director for MIA worked at SFO before in the same job. SFO has all those wonderful airlines, so the relationship esxists.
Incase you forgot, summer is the slow season. We will most definitley be seeing new destinations coming in in the winter. Any new European routes would most likely start in the winter, especially Manchester, were the traffic would be mainly coming to Miami as opposed to from. You are not going to see Dublin anytime soon, because as much as Aer Lingus wants to launch Miami service (possibly operated by AA on codeshare), they can't, because DOT will not approve it until the US-Ireland bilaterals are redone.

As for where are the "NEW" destinations. Maybe you have been missing the last 18 months:
June 2002: Medellin and Santiago
November 2002: Punta Cana
December 2002: Charlotte
January 2003: Las Vegas
July 2003: Columbus and Pittsburgh
October 2003: Cincinnati
November 2003: Indianapolis and Minneapolis/St. Paul
January 2004: Guanacaste Liberia and Richmond, VA

Not to mention all that growth and four new routes from Ft. Lauderdale. Plus, PBI-BOS and PBI-LGA are now year-round services.

Also, incase you forgot, Israel is a country in Asia. El Al flies scheduled passengers service to Miami every Tuesday and Thursday.

I agree with secondary Brazilian cities. Hopefully AA will look into them. They were planning on launching MIA-MAO in 1999, but it never happened. Varig's financial troubles meant they canceled all non-GRU long-haul flying (except FRA-GIG). From MIA, they were serving Manaus, Belem, Recife, Fortaleza, and Salvador. Currently, LAB flies MIA-MAO twice weekly, and they are adding a third flight this month. AA could easily run a 738 to MAO or BSB, and probably fill it up. BEL and REC could fill a 752, and CNF, which AA does currently serve, can definitley warrant a non-stop instead of the one-stop. One problem is that US-Brazil frequencies are very difficult to get. AA had enough problems getting two measly frequencies this past summer to increase MIA-GRU service.

More new destinations are coming this year. I say we'll see four or five new mainline routes launched. On top of my "likely" list: Valencia/VLN, Bermuda/BDA, Providence/PVD, Kansas City/MCI, and St. Lucia/UVF. I would not rule out Manchester/MAN, San Diego/SAN, Phoenix/PHX, Roatan/RTB, or Grenada/GND either. I've also heard FLL-SJO and FLL-SFO are likely this summer.

MAH4546,

AA also stopped service to Barranquilla, Colombia.

Lots of Floridians go to the UK in the summer, they come here in the winter. Virgin Atlantic flies 744 in the summer but A340 in the winter. Miami's traffic paterns may change with the seasons but London and England are always going to desirable.

AA new domestic destinations are just adding more pokes to the hub. I think AA needs to study nonstop service to all the cities in Brazil, Uruaghy and Paraguay. 777 & 767 are to big, 757 may be the answer since they can fly 8 or 9 hours; Given the distance AA would need to upgrade the 757 J-class to the standard on the 767-300. Anothr option would be using 737-800 with 767 J-class of say 12 seats. Whatever happens, nonstop is the answer. I pity the poor souls who take off from Montevideo, fly 45 minutes to Buenos Aires, then wait 2 hours for another 9 hours of darkness to Miami. 757 nonstop to Miami os the answer from Montevideo, Asuncion, Recife, Belo Horizonte and Manasas( 737-800 might work here). AA no more two steps to MIA, every major city in Latin America is within Nonstop range. This isn't Thailand or Malaysia, too far to fly and having to stop in Tokyo. Singapore Air just started nonstop LAX-SIn yesterday so even Thailand can now be flown nonstop with an A340-500 from LAX. If the Pacific and be bridged so can the Andes. Nonstop to every major city in South America should be the Goal, If small airplanes are the answer then deep South Ameica should get them.

JFK777 said:
MAH4546,

AA also stopped service to Barranquilla, Colombia.

Lots of Floridians go to the UK in the summer, they come here in the winter. Virgin Atlantic flies 744 in the summer but A340 in the winter. Miami's traffic paterns may change with the seasons but London and England are always going to desirable.

AA new domestic destinations are just adding more pokes to the hub. I think AA needs to study nonstop service to all the cities in Brazil, Uruaghy and Paraguay. 777 & 767 are to big, 757 may be the answer since they can fly 8 or 9 hours; Given the distance AA would need to upgrade the 757 J-class to the standard on the 767-300. Anothr option would be using 737-800 with 767 J-class of say 12 seats. Whatever happens, nonstop is the answer. I pity the poor souls who take off from Montevideo, fly 45 minutes to Buenos Aires, then wait 2 hours for another 9 hours of darkness to Miami. 757 nonstop to Miami os the answer from Montevideo, Asuncion, Recife, Belo Horizonte and Manasas( 737-800 might work here). AA no more two steps to MIA, every major city in Latin America is within Nonstop range. This isn't Thailand or Malaysia, too far to fly and having to stop in Tokyo. Singapore Air just started nonstop LAX-SIn yesterday so even Thailand can now be flown nonstop with an A340-500 from LAX. If the Pacific and be bridged so can the Andes. Nonstop to every major city in South America should be the Goal, If small airplanes are the answer then deep South Ameica should get them.
Do we really have to go over this in every thread, JFK? American Airlines only stopped BAQ because the Colombian government would not allow them to fly to BAQ and MDE.

As for VS at MIA, it's an even mix year-round: Fridays through Monday are 747-400s and Tuesdays through Thursdays are A340-300s. The A340-300s will become A340-600s starting in June.

Also, no need for 757s to MVD, ASU, and CNF. These have the traffic to warrant a 763. Also, Manasas is in Virginia. You probably mean Manaus. And, ummm, non-stop to every major LatAm city is American's eventual goal. It seems like you think AA should snap thier fingers and it will happen overnight. It is not that easy buddy.

MAH4546:

Do you know if the folks at MIA have suggested to the U.S. government that, when U.S.-Brazil discussions resume, the U.S.-Brazil bilateral be revised so that it is patterned after the U.S.-U.K. and U.S.-Japan bilaterals in that frequency restrictions should only apply to the major cities? In other words, only service to LHR and LGW is restricted in the U.K., and only service to NRT and KIX is restricted in Japan, for U.S. carriers. Why not have the current U.S.-Brazil frequency restrictions apply only to GRU and GIG, thus allowing unlimited U.S. carrier service to Belem, Manaus, Brasilia, Recife, etc., where little or no nonstop service by any carrier currently exists? That would enable American to start service to those cities without compromising its current service levels at GRU and GIG. Delta and Continental might start a few routes as well from their hubs in ATL and IAH, respectively. What do you think?

Cosmo said:
MAH4546:

Do you know if the folks at MIA have suggested to the U.S. government that, when U.S.-Brazil discussions resume, the U.S.-Brazil bilateral be revised so that it is patterned after the U.S.-U.K. and U.S.-Japan bilaterals in that frequency restrictions should only apply to the major cities? In other words, only service to LHR and LGW is restricted in the U.K., and only service to NRT and KIX is restricted in Japan, for U.S. carriers. Why not have the current U.S.-Brazil frequency restrictions apply only to GRU and GIG, thus allowing unlimited U.S. carrier service to Belem, Manaus, Brasilia, Recife, etc., where little or no nonstop service by any carrier currently exists? That would enable American to start service to those cities without compromising its current service levels at GRU and GIG. Delta and Continental might start a few routes as well from their hubs in ATL and IAH, respectively. What do you think?
The problem is Brazilian law which is written to protect Brazilian companies. When I worked at Texaco, we tried to install a computer system in our Rio office that was part of a worldwide accounting system. We weren't allowed to bring Brazil on-line because the computers were not built in Brazil . The computers that were available to us because they were built in Brazil were neither of good quality nor compatible with the rest of the Texaco system.

They only allow foreign companies to operate there when there is no Brazilian company to provide the product or service.

MAH4546 said:
JFK777 said:

Incase you forgot, summer is the slow season. We will most definitley be seeing new destinations coming in in the winter. Any new European routes would most likely start in the winter, especially Manchester, were the traffic would be mainly coming to Miami as opposed to from. You are not going to see Dublin anytime soon, because as much as Aer Lingus wants to launch Miami service (possibly operated by AA on codeshare), they can't, because DOT will not approve it until the US-Ireland bilaterals are redone.

As for where are the "NEW" destinations. Maybe you have been missing the last 18 months:
June 2002: Medellin and Santiago
November 2002: Punta Cana
December 2002: Charlotte
January 2003: Las Vegas
July 2003: Columbus and Pittsburgh
October 2003: Cincinnati
November 2003: Indianapolis and Minneapolis/St. Paul
January 2004: Guanacaste Liberia and Richmond, VA

Not to mention all that growth and four new routes from Ft. Lauderdale. Plus, PBI-BOS and PBI-LGA are now year-round services.

Also, incase you forgot, Israel is a country in Asia. El Al flies scheduled passengers service to Miami every Tuesday and Thursday.

I agree with secondary Brazilian cities. Hopefully AA will look into them. They were planning on launching MIA-MAO in 1999, but it never happened. Varig's financial troubles meant they canceled all non-GRU long-haul flying (except FRA-GIG). From MIA, they were serving Manaus, Belem, Recife, Fortaleza, and Salvador. Currently, LAB flies MIA-MAO twice weekly, and they are adding a third flight this month. AA could easily run a 738 to MAO or BSB, and probably fill it up. BEL and REC could fill a 752, and CNF, which AA does currently serve, can definitley warrant a non-stop instead of the one-stop. One problem is that US-Brazil frequencies are very difficult to get. AA had enough problems getting two measly frequencies this past summer to increase MIA-GRU service.

More new destinations are coming this year. I say we'll see four or five new mainline routes launched. On top of my "likely" list: Valencia/VLN, Bermuda/BDA, Providence/PVD, Kansas City/MCI, and St. Lucia/UVF. I would not rule out Manchester/MAN, San Diego/SAN, Phoenix/PHX, Roatan/RTB, or Grenada/GND either. I've also heard FLL-SJO and FLL-SFO are likely this summer.
Mark,
I hope your right about MIA-"PVD" !!!

(IMHO), It defies logic, why we are'nt flying that route NOW......

NH/BB's

MAH4546,

I realize Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is AA route system to South America. Since places like Asuncion, Mnotevideo and Belo Horizonte are already served I just think nonstop is better, if by 757 or in 5 years. I'm just expressing what I want AA to do eventually, not manana, but before Hilary Clinton becomes President in 2008 (GOD help us if she does).