Lots Of New Mia Service

Im sure the TWOV-Transit without visa program has hurt AA in conx from S.A. to europe. Soon as this is lifted it will help Europe conxs.

People from countries connecting in Miami for flights to Europe would need, in most cases, visas to enter their European country as well as the USA. The passenger traveling such a pattern would be from a relatively affluent sector of their countries social fabric. Most people going to Europe through Miami would already have Visa to come to the USA, which they would do on a regular basis. I know this is a terrible problem for Iberia at MIA but what about AA? Given AA has only 3 fligts daily to Europe we are talking what, 100 passengers daily?

Most passengers connecting at MIA are either coming or going to another US city so going through customs would still occur. On any given day AA must connect 3000 to 5000 passengers daily at Miami going to New York or points north and west. The effects of TWOV got to be small potatoes to AA.

I fly to Belo Horizonte (CNF) almost every month and I connect from DFW, JFK or MIA. 95% of the time it's via MIA. In regards to JFK777's comment about nonstop service to secondary cities in Brazil, I tend to agree. A MIA-CNF on a 757 isn't a bad idea but it would be a trade-off between onboard comfort vs. nonstop service.

timfucius said:
I fly to Belo Horizonte (CNF) almost every month and I connect from DFW, JFK or MIA. 95% of the time it's via MIA. In regards to JFK777's comment about nonstop service to secondary cities in Brazil, I tend to agree. A MIA-CNF on a 757 isn't a bad idea but it would be a trade-off between onboard comfort vs. nonstop service.
If Belo Horizonte were to get an individual non-stop, it would be a 767-300ER, no doubt. There is a huge amount of cargo demand on the route. CNF is currently flown with a 772 (though ideally AA would use a 763, but because of aircraft utilization, it is a 772, since when they added the MIA-GRU daylight, the GRU-MIA redeye 763 turns right around back to MIA. The MIA-GRU 772 flight goes to CNF; the DFW-GRU 763 flight goes to ASU, the JFK-GRU 772 goes to GIG).

Quite funny, actually. While we were on the topic of service from MIA to secondary cities in Brazil, TAM loaded MIA-SSA (Salvador da Bahia) into the schedules today. Non-stop Sunday service starts 1 May 2004. AA will codeshare on the flight (though the codeshare has not been uploaded yet).

JFK777 said:
MAH4546,

I realize Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is AA route system to South America. Since places like Asuncion, Mnotevideo and Belo Horizonte are already served I just think nonstop is better, if by 757 or in 5 years. I'm just expressing what I want AA to do eventually, not manana, but before Hilary Clinton becomes President in 2008 (GOD help us if she does).
JFK777,

You don't have to worry about Hillary in 2008, now.

Our NEW president John Kerry, and NEW Vice President John Edwards/Richard Gephardt will be in office from Jan 20, 2005 thru January 19, 2013 !!!!!!!

See, your Hillary fears are now gone, (JUST LIKE "DUMBYA") !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

New Hampshire Black Bear,

John Kerry is a good man, but I like "DUBYA". Jeb is Governor. I live in Florida, where union labor is almost nonexistent, except airlines, and we have that pesky Castro problem. Republicans are better listeners( and fundraisers) to the Cuban-American community. When was the last time Florida went to a Democrat? Since Reagan maybe once. Until Castro meets his maker and the Cubans don't have their issue things here won't change very much, and when Castro does die, the Cuban American machine will still be well financed for whatever cause they want to pursue.

MAH4546 said:
Quite funny, actually. While we were on the topic of service from MIA to secondary cities in Brazil, TAM loaded MIA-SSA (Salvador da Bahia) into the schedules today. Non-stop Sunday service starts 1 May 2004. AA will codeshare on the flight (though the codeshare has not been uploaded yet).
This is great. Is this MIA-SSA a seasonal schedule? Are they planning for new international routes as well? I know TAM has some A330s that are being used for charter flights. Maybe thay could look into GRU-LAX like I always wanted! :rolleyes:

Regarding the 772 service to CNF, I can understand the demand for cargo. Last year our business had quite a bit of activity for air cargo and most of the time we had to bid higher to reserve spaces. On occasion we had our pallets trucked to GRU. But how long is this 772 service going to last?

Seeing the 777 at the airport is quite an interesting sight. It's weird to see it sitting there by itself maybe next to 1 aircraft, a F-100 or a 737.

timfucius said:
This is great. Is this MIA-SSA a seasonal schedule? Are they planning for new international routes as well? I know TAM has some A330s that are being used for charter flights. Maybe thay could look into GRU-LAX like I always wanted! :rolleyes:

Regarding the 772 service to CNF, I can understand the demand for cargo. Last year our business had quite a bit of activity for air cargo and most of the time we had to bid higher to reserve spaces. On occasion we had our pallets trucked to GRU. But how long is this 772 service going to last?

Seeing the 777 at the airport is quite an interesting sight. It's weird to see it sitting there by itself maybe next to 1 aircraft, a F-100 or a 737.
The new MIA-SSA service is year-round, and they might start a weekly MIA-FOR as well. TAM is going back to double-daily MIA service on 1 May 2004, the day after UA pulls out of MIA-GRU. Great for aircraft utlization. The current schedule still uses two planes, with one sitting on the tarmac all day at MIA. Now, the planes will have quick turnarounds, as the GRU-MIA redeye will turn right around and do an MIA-GRU daylight. On Sundays, the GRU-MIA and MIA-GRU daylights will stop in Salvador, and rumours are the Wednesday service might stop in Fortaleza in the future.

As for how long you will see the 772 at CNF, I say for a while. Look at the current GRU schedule Friday through Monday:

AA 907 (763) arrives from MIA at 0742. This plane quickly (by Deep SouthAm standards) turns around to do AA 930 back to MIA at 1135.

AA 963 (763) gets in next from Dallas at 0957. This aircraft then goes onto Asuncion at 1245, operating at AA 995 (which orignated as the MIA-GRU 777 service).

AA 995 (772) gets in from Miami at 1022. This aircraft then goes onto Belo Horizonte at 1225 as AA 963 (which originated as DFW-GRU 763).

AA 951 (772) gets in from JFK at 1041. This aircraft then goes onto Rio de Janeiro, still as AA 951, at 1205.

AA 929 (763) gets in from MIA at 2241. It quickly turns around to operate as AA 998 back to Miami at 2359.

On Tu through Th, same thing, except the 763 that did AA 907 stays in GRU until the redeye back.

The way we have it, there is no spare 763 to send to CNF, so a 772 it is. Asuncion has higher yields, but Belo Horizonte has way more cargo traffic to justify having a 772 instead of a 763. The one scenario were the 763 will return to CNF is if AA decides to bring CNF back to being MIA-GIG-CNF, like it was for a while in 2002.

Thanks for your excellent post. The MIA-GIG-CNF kind of made sense back then. I used to take this route quite often too. I know of many people who were surprised by the decision to go MIA-GRU-GIG on AA951. I always thought that Rio had enough pax to justify its own nonstop flight. But I'm still watching for my LAX-GRU someday... In the meantime, it'll have to be a MIA stop. I'll be there tomorrow AA280-995-963.

Latest posts