Modern Air

WishIWuzACapn

Nov 28, 2003
I grew up in Berlin, Germany, during the "Wall" years - we had friends whose parents worked for Modern Air. They flew Convairs out of Berlin to various places including, I believe, the U.S. I can;t find anything about them anywhere. Does anyone know anything about them or remember? THeir planes were orange, I think... One of my younger brother's best friend's dads was a chief pilot named Millard...

Thanks for any input ^_^

WishIWuzACapn said:
I grew up in Berlin, Germany, during the "Wall" years - we had friends whose parents worked for Modern Air. They flew Convairs out of Berlin to various places including, I believe, the U.S. I can;t find anything about them anywhere. Does anyone know anything about them or remember? THeir planes were orange, I think... One of my younger brother's best friend's dads was a chief pilot named Millard...

Thanks for any input ^_^
You are correct about them operating Berlin charters with orange-striped Convair 990s.
Modern Air shut down in 1975, a victim of parent Gulf America Land Corp. (GAC)'s bankruptcy.
There is a page devoted to Modern Air in the book "Airlines Remembered" by B. I. Hengi. Believe the book is still available, check "Airliners" or "Airways" mail order sites if interested.

Among notable Modern Air moments:

THe first commercial airline to operate a large jet to Anarctica, landing a CV-990
on the ice runway at McMurdo station sometime in early seventies. Some military charter I'm sure.

A bit part in "Dog Day Afternoon". THe plane demanded by Dustin Hoffman and gang to fly them out the USA.

Oh why do I use up valuable cells with this sorta stuff! :rolleyes:

Latest posts