Morale At All Time Low

Skyyggoddess

Advanced
Jun 28, 2003
www.usaviation.com
This is from another bulletin board, but thought the topic so disturbing and serious as to be passed on. I removed this F/A's name.
Terry
IDF

Date: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:11 am
Subject: DISTURBING TREND AFOOT... MORALE AT ALL TIME LOW...

Dear Mr. Arpey:

As a 20 year veteran of American Airlines I am troubled by what I have
recently experienced at work. So troubled in fact, that I am contacting the
CEO of American Airlines to share my concerns.

There is a disturbing trend afoot Mr. Arpey, I'm very fearful for the future
of our company. Furthermore, for my own personal safety. It's no mystery
that the skies are becoming increasingly more hostile. Our preflight Captain's
briefing is evidence of that, but my recent close encounter with one of
American's Aircraft Mechanics left me wondering just what's going on here.

Aircraft #369 had been 'ferried' from SCL as a result of concerns with the
hydraulic system. I boarded the very same aircraft at DFW after it had
returned from SCL, the problem had not been fixed. We arrived in SJU where the is no 'overnight' maintenance (personnel in SJU are quick to point out that the
company has cut out all overnight pay authorization-hence no maintenance).

The aircraft was making unusual groaning noises upon landing in SJU, the
hydraulic pump was working double-time to compensate for the pump that was
inoperative. Sitting underneath the 'elevator' we could hear the struggle.
The landing in SJU was harder than normal.

The following morning we boarded the same aircraft and nothing had been done
to fix last evening's problems. The flight SJU-MIA is completed without
incident, except for the very hard landing in MIA. The same unusual noises
are heard. The aircraft, a 767 (very full and heavy) makes it's second consecutive
hard landing.

Upon leaving the aircraft to purchase sustenance (meals are no longer
provided for flight attendants) is when I encountered an American Airlines
Mechanic in the forward galley with the Aircraft Log Book in his hands. What follows defies logic at best, and at worst is irresponsible and dangerous.

I took it upon myself to mention the unusual noise the galley flight
attendant and myself had experienced on our aft jumpseats, mentioned the
aircraf seemed to have some problems, and asked maintenance (cordially/professionally) to see about them, as we were about to embark on a four and a half hour flight to LAX. His response was "Yeah, when they pay me more money, I'll get on that right away"... It was not the response I expected.
It left me with grave concerns for our personal safety. Furthermore, we are
lead to believe that this is the feeling amongst professional Aircraft
Mechanics.

Mr. Arpey, I'm not a squeamish type. I don't typically rattle that easy.
I've had my life threatened in flight before by a crazed and deranged Canadian,
but nothing has shaken me to bedrock quite like this. I'm writing you sir as
a means of informing you (if you weren't aware) that morale amongst the rank
and file is at an all-time low. The same type of low that saw Eastern
Airlines take it's last gasps. I'm writing you sir, and copying in my family
and friends, in the off chance that some horrible accident should befall an airplane I
happen to working on, I want someone to know about this.

It's troubling enough that we have to be concerned with terrorists from
abroad, but there's no excuse for this. There are a fair amount of disgruntled
employees out there that are being taxed to the limits of sanity. Understaffed
and overworked. Airplanes full and yet we can't get close to turning a profit.
It's a crying shame to see this once great airline reduced to what we have
become. And the ones we rely on most, are being flippant, and verbalizing
their distrust and displeasure with management by making comments (aloud) like the one I had to be subjected to.

I'm struggling to make sense of this Mr. Arpey. It's affecting my sleep, my
rest and my waking hours. I felt it incumbent upon me to share this with you.

Regretfully,
MN

Ok everybody take a deep breath, let it out and relax!!!! Don't let one jerk mechanic ruin your whole day. But first of all if I had the oportunity I would like to know what the flight crew thought about the planes performance? From what the FA has written the plane made multiple flights. If the pilots thought something was wrong it would have been written up in the planes Maintenance Log and that CANNOT be ignored no matter how low your morale is or how big a JERK you are! We have plenty of idiots around here and all the tea in china or money in the world won't raise their morale! :down:

We have always had employees who do only enough to get fired.

We have also had employees who have a great deal of professional pride, and hold themselves to very high standards.

We now have less of the second group and more of the first group.

For many years, we were the lowest paying airline, particularly for new hires. Don't even think about the SRPs. So, we did not exactly get first pick of the applicants. Many of our hires were rejects from better-paying airlines. Many had left other, better-paying airlines for whatever reason. Surprisingly enough, we still managed to hire SOME really good people. But more and more of our good people are becoming demoralized, and approach the job with a less positive attitude.

Many believe we are all dead men walking. We are all in the same boat, but only the Captain and his top officers have a lifeboat.

We are not only seeing low morale, but a lot of resentment, even anger, toward the company.

Folks,

As you can see by my "handle" I spend lot's of time in a 767. From an engineering point of view it is built like the proverbial brick &%*t house. Not sure what the F/A was hearing but there are no hydraulic pumps in the back, they are in the main wheel well's for the center system. The center system has 3 HYD pumps because there are some pretty important items on it. It is sad that one jerk gave her/him a bad impression. This being my fourth airline job I have to tell you our tecks are probably the best in the world right up there with all proffessional aviation mx. We have the lowest number of deffered items and repeat write ups I have ever seen.
In the front office we know the performance of all the pumps, if one had quit we'd know it.

Skyyggoddess said:
This is from another bulletin board, but thought the topic so disturbing and serious as to be passed on. I removed this F/A's name.
Terry
IDF

Date: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:11 am
Subject: DISTURBING TREND AFOOT... MORALE AT ALL TIME LOW...
I sent that post to a mechanic friend of mine, this is his reply, we need more like him!

tell your friend that we/mechanics/ will never allow a plane to depart
if we feel it is unsafe, we go round and round with the "STUPIDVISORS" when
they want to pencil whip stuff, but in the end when we tell them you sign it
off its your ass not mine they usually come to their senses and allow us to
fix the problem, I've noticed in the past 6 or so months that this practice
has increased, but we are staying on top of things, let me just say as a
mechanic I will not endanger any crewmember or pax with an inferior
product/overhauled airplane/.

heavy767 said:
Folks,

As you can see by my "handle" I spend lot's of time in a 767. From an engineering point of view it is built like the proverbial brick &%*t house. Not sure what the F/A was hearing but there are no hydraulic pumps in the back, they are in the main wheel well's for the center system. The center system has 3 HYD pumps because there are some pretty important items on it. It is sad that one jerk gave her/him a bad impression. This being my fourth airline job I have to tell you our tecks are probably the best in the world right up there with all proffessional aviation mx. We have the lowest number of deffered items and repeat write ups I have ever seen.
In the front office we know the performance of all the pumps, if one had quit we'd know it.
:up:
You guys are the BEST.
P.S. I agree with you about the 767. It is a great workhorse.
Terry
IDF

It is a tribute to the quality of the aircraft that they are so reliable.

There is no way on earth AA could keep a DC6 or(God forbid) a DC7 flying today.

As a First Officer with American, I found the letter disturbing too.

Aren't the FA's trained to report any problems to the Captain of the flight?
If the writer has 20 years with AA, I would expect a immediate report of the unusual observations to the Captain who should enter the item into the logbook for action. The author is right on about morale at AA, but skipping a report to the Captain about a maintenance observation, and complaining to the CEO about it doesn't strike me as the way to go. (assuming the CA wasn't told, he may have been).

Furthermore, for my own personal safety. It's no mystery
that the skies are becoming increasingly more hostile. Our preflight Captain's
briefing is evidence of that

Is he/she referencing possible threats or employee relations?

thanks

Another angle from another board:
I just worked a trip back from Tokyo.

We worked our tushies off to make sure we did a great service and just plain did our jobs to keep our customers. Came into JFK and had to wait 1 hour to get to the gate. First gate occupied, then couldn't get to gate due to traffic jam. The airplane was hot. The captain apologized, kept people informed, told people to use cell phones etc, but they all ended up hating us as they departed.

Final straw for me.

I have endured a month 100 hours of late flights, no food, no rest, understaffed, missed connections for whole planeloads of people, no headsets to sell, filthy aircraft, catering issues, etc. It is a wonder any one chooses to fly American Airlines.

I have been constantly embarrassed and am just worn out by the fact that no matter how hard we try, we cannot do our jobs without the things we need to do our jobs and the staffing to do them. Maybe instead of sitting around on their whatevers, the folks that have put us in this mess need to come down from sitting around figuring out how to squeeze the passengers and the uniformed employees out of a little more, and actually do some work and find out what is going on in the real world of American Airlines.

I am totally disheartened.

I have been down before, but this was just the last straw.