More 787s and 737s for CO

Flying Titan

Veteran
Oct 14, 2003
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/272839_boeing06.html

Boeing sells 44 jets to Continental
$1.5 billion order for 787s expands Dreamliner presence in U.S.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006

By JAMES WALLACE
P-I AEROSPACE REPORTER

PARIS -- Continental Airlines plans to order 10 more 787 jetliners, giving The Boeing Co. another big boost in its quest to place its Dreamliner with U.S. customers.

The $1.5 billion order from the nation's fourth-largest airline could be announced as soon as today, according to an airline industry source who is attending the annual membership meeting of the International Air Transport Association here.

Continental also is ordering 34 Boeing 737s, according to another industry source. That order could be worth more than $2 billion at list prices.

Boeing would not comment on the reports.

Continental previously ordered 10 787s, although apparently only seven of those have become firm orders.

All of the planes, including the order for the next 10, are the 787-8 model, which has a list price of $148 million to $157.5 million, although Continental would have received a substantial discount off that price.

As of Monday, Boeing had 350 firm orders for its 787, a twin-engine, midsize plane that will enter service in May 2008. It has an additional 43 commitments. In all, 29 airlines or leasing companies have ordered the 787.

But the bulk of those orders have come from Asia, with some from Europe. Northwest is the only other major U.S. airline to place a firm 787 order with Boeing. It has ordered 18 planes.

Full Article

I'll bet this will force other US carriers to make moves soon, too. If CO is flying 787s on its TA routes, and possibly transcons, while others are flying 767s, 777s, and A330s there will be a cost gap that will be hard for the competition to live with.

Northwest is already on the order list. Can AA and UA be far behind?

I would think DAL needs to decide quickly. AA has some 777s down the road and UA has a few already in their fleet, but they do need to acquire additional a/c to expand. NW has the order already in. US/HP could definitely miss the boat if they stick with the troubled A350 small order they have. just my thoughts.......

I would think DAL needs to decide quickly. AA has some 777s down the road and UA has a few already in their fleet, but they do need to acquire additional a/c to expand. NW has the order already in. US/HP could definitely miss the boat if they stick with the troubled A350 small order they have. just my thoughts.......

If you call the largest 777 fleet of any airline in the world a few, then yes UA has a few....

JBG

I'll bet this will force other US carriers to make moves soon, too. If CO is flying 787s on its TA routes, and possibly transcons, while others are flying 767s, 777s, and A330s there will be a cost gap that will be hard for the competition to live with.

Northwest is already on the order list. Can AA and UA be far behind?
We at NWA are slated to take possesion of the first 787 in mid 08. I firmly believe this AC wil do to the airlines what the transistor did to radio. It has tremendous possibilities, and any carrier not flying them will be at a disadvantage, IMO.