more 787's for CAL

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
Continental Airlines Inc. on Monday said it will order five more of Boeing Co.'s jumbo 787 Dreamliner planes for a total of 25 aircraft.

The airline said the additional planes will help expand its international service and will replace less efficient wide-body jets. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Of the aircraft ordered, Continental said it switched 12 of the planes ordered from 787-8s to 787-9s, which carry more passengers and fly further.

I was wondering that even though the current CO B767s are young, will the B787s replace them? just wondering out loud..........

I assume they will replace the 762s (among other airplanes, like 763s), unless oil prices take a sudden dive and stay there. With $2/gal jetA, 762s make no sense once there's a 787 on the property. Fuel savings alone will make a substantial portion of the payments on new 787s.

I have a pretty good idea where these planes will be based and what routes they will be used on :up: :up:

You lucky s.o.b.'s!!! That is going to be one hell of an airplane. Especially the -900.

You lucky s.o.b.'s!!! That is going to be one hell of an airplane. Especially the -900.

It's just the "-9", at least for general use. Boeing's dropped the "00" part of the series designations, at least on the 787 and 747-8 (not 747-800).
Would assume they still use the 'customer codes' internally, ie, Continental's being -x24. Wonder how long before they scrap or redo those, with so many of them (especially in the all-numeric range) assigned to airlines that are no longer around...