new UA order new Boeing planes (possible)

Diamondbacks2004

Advanced
Mar 29, 2004
If UA/US agree to merger deal then:

Do you think United Airlines will order more new Boeing 73G, 738, 739ER comes with winglets, 787-8s and 787-9s Dreamliner and purchase rights for an additional 20 777s unless if United/US Airways merger will be approved by federal government?

Keep 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, new generation 358XWB & 359XWB

Switch 772ER or 744 for PHL to Beijing China (goodbye 340-300)

Get rid of oldest planes: 733, 734, 735, 762ER, some 752s w/RR engines

If UA/US agree to merger deal then:

Do you think United Airlines will order more new Boeing 73G, 738, 739ER comes with winglets, 787-8s and 787-9s Dreamliner and purchase rights for an additional 20 777s unless if United/US Airways merger will be approved by federal government?

Keep 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, new generation 358XWB & 359XWB

Switch 772ER or 744 for PHL to Beijing China (goodbye 340-300)

Get rid of oldest planes: 733, 734, 735, 762ER, some 752s w/RR engines
NO, watch for alot of planes parked, and alot of lay offs. No sense in mergering without shrinking.

I wouldn't expect to see any orders of new planes for a while. US has more than enough new orders for a combined UA-US.

I wouldn't expect to see any orders of new planes for a while. US has more than enough new orders for a combined UA-US.
That will probably be the case. UA could switch some aircraft routing and fly the China route w/ the 400 or 777. US orders will suffice for growth ( for the time being ) but, the 767-200's need to be parked ASAP.

I agree. UA has alot of older 73's 300's and 500's, plan for all those to be parked as well as ours. There might be some options for a few more 319's and 20's to cover any short fall of domestic flying. As far as the wides go, I see all of their 76's being parked around the same time as ours and all being replaced with the 330's LCC has on order. I see them keeping all the 75's for some time just as they have mentioned for ours as well. UA has quite of bit of them, and there really worth their weight. I would venture to believe that all the 74's would eventually go as well, being replaced when the 350XWB come on line. And if the plane performes well enough I can see more being ordered for us. So in the end you can see a new United with a mix of A350's, 777's, 330's and 75's for the time being. And the rest of course will be a bunch of 319's, 20's and 321's. But this is just IMHO. I've been wrong before.

Sorry, we are going with the zeppelin, turboprops, fueled by methane. :p

B)

I don't think Tilton knows how to buy anything. He knows how to beat assets up and sell them at garage sale prices though!

Honest question here.

Is the 767 or the A-330 generally preferred for longer and/or larger capacities then the 757 handles?

I think the answer depends on who you ask. For one, if you're asking about working the aisles then you'll have to ask Flight Attendants who've worked both aircraft. Obviously UAL doesn't operate the 330 and LCC doesn't operate the 767-300 so best of luck.

If your question is in regard to passenger comfort then you'd have to ask passengers who've flown Int'l on the 330 and the UAL 767-300, especially those in the new configuration with the new lie-flat First/Business Class seats and superb flat screen digital video.

Not having flown aboard a LCC 330 I don't have any clue to their comfort except for what's posted on US Airway's website regarding the Envoy Class seats, which btw, look pretty similar to what UAL has in it's former business class.

It's sort of an apples and oranges comparison.

Cheers,
Z

Honest question here.

Is the 767 or the A-330 generally preferred for longer and/or larger capacities then the 757 handles?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You ommited the Obvious differences
The A330(GREAT AIRPLANE) has many more seats, and carries many more cargo/baggage containers/pallet's.

The fact that it's a newer plane, has me willing to bet that the 330 is much cheaper(Jet-A) to operate on a comperable level.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You ommited the Obvious differences
The A330(GREAT AIRPLANE) has many more seats, and carries many more cargo/baggage containers/pallet's.
I would check your facts here. Are you comparing LCC's 330 to LCC's 767-200? If so then your statement might be correct. But UA parked all their 767-200's years ago. The 767-300 is much larger and as far as I know is comparable in size and mission to the 330. Also, # of seats depends on seat pitch. UA 767's have 3 classes, and part of coach is economy plus with a larger seat pitch. LCC's 330's have only 2 classes as far as I know, and no economy plus, and their coach seat pitch is much less than UA's economy plus, hence probably more seats. But cargo capacity is basically the same (could be even more on the 767 since the cargo capacity is usually weight limited not size limited, and more seats upstairs means less cargo downstairs), and premium seats on UA make up for the lack of seats. Just look at the difference in price for a ticket in First Class, Business, Economy Plus, and Economy.

Jetmonkey says:
"As far as the wides go, I see all of their 76's being parked around the same time as ours and all being replaced with the 330's LCC has on order. I see them keeping all the 75's for some time just as they have mentioned for ours as well. UA has quite of bit of them, and there really worth their weight. I would venture to believe that all the 74's would eventually go as well, being replaced when the 350XWB come on line. And if the plane performes well enough I can see more being ordered for us. So in the end you can see a new United with a mix of A350's, 777's, 330's and 75's for the time being. And the rest of course will be a bunch of 319's, 20's and 321's. But this is just IMHO. I've been wrong before."

United has about 35 767-300s, I think. UA does not operate 67-200s for almost 6 years, they parked all 9 in the desert after 9/11. They sold 8 of the 9 200s last year, (they still have one out there, the tenth 200 was lost on 9/11.)
I believe US Air flies 200s with completely different engines from UAs 300s. The 200s and 300s at UA could not swap engines and probably the 200s from US Air can't either with UA's 300s and are similar to the old UA 200's: Smaller and inefficient gas guzzlers.
UA's 300s are not the latest thing anymore but they are not even close to retire them as of now. As a matter of fact all 300s MZ, with the exception of the few 300s MD with the domestic configuration, are being refitted with new First Class and Biz class suits. First Class will go from 10 seats to 6 suits and B-Class from 32 seats to 26 full liedown suits. There are already a few flying in between IAD and Europe, (ZUR, etc,) and all f/as are doing, (should have been done by now,) the FAA mandated qualification for the new 767 configuration which has been designated MI.
By the way, they also reconfiguring the 400 cabin at great expense, which is designated OC. FAA has finally approved the 400 new cabin config, after it failed initial evac testing. All F/As are now doing the FAA mandated requal for the 400, computer based with the additional FAA mandate of hands-on training because of the evac testing failure. We did not have to do hands-on for the new 67 cabin reconfig, only computer based FAA mandated training.
(If you like to know: United has about 30 active 400s. I believe they have 2 in the desert. One was delivered in 1992 and stored in 2001, the other delivered in '93 and stored in 2003. Why, I don't know. Maybe they were leased and UA could not renegotiate the terms during BK? Maybe too expensive to get them back in flying condition?)
So, your prediction of UA's 67 and 400 demise, although possible, is way out of sync with the present reality. Weird things happen in this industry but qualifying almost 16k F/As on 2 models, (the 777 will be next,) reconfiguring the cabins on the 67 and 400 fleets, and then parking those planes?
Again, your prediction doesn't come close to the present reality, and you probably wrong again.

Jetmonkey says:
"As far as the wides go, I see all of their 76's being parked around the same time as ours and all being replaced with the 330's LCC has on order. I see them keeping all the 75's for some time just as they have mentioned for ours as well. UA has quite of bit of them, and there really worth their weight. I would venture to believe that all the 74's would eventually go as well, being replaced when the 350XWB come on line. And if the plane performes well enough I can see more being ordered for us. So in the end you can see a new United with a mix of A350's, 777's, 330's and 75's for the time being. And the rest of course will be a bunch of 319's, 20's and 321's. But this is just IMHO. I've been wrong before."

United has about 35 767-300s, I think. UA does not operate 67-200s for almost 6 years, they parked all 9 in the desert after 9/11. They sold 8 of the 9 200s last year, (they still have one out there, the tenth 200 was lost on 9/11.)
I believe US Air flies 200s with completely different engines from UAs 300s. The 200s and 300s at UA could not swap engines and probably the 200s from US Air can't either with UA's 300s and are similar to the old UA 200's: Smaller and inefficient gas guzzlers.
UA's 300s are not the latest thing anymore but they are not even close to retire them as of now. As a matter of fact all 300s MZ, with the exception of the few 300s MD with the domestic configuration, are being refitted with new First Class and Biz class suits. First Class will go from 10 seats to 6 suits and B-Class from 32 seats to 26 full liedown suits. There are already a few flying in between IAD and Europe, (ZUR, etc,) and all f/as are doing, (should have been done by now,) the FAA mandated qualification for the new 767 configuration which has been designated MI.
By the way, they also reconfiguring the 400 cabin at great expense, which is designated OC. FAA has finally approved the 400 new cabin config, after it failed initial evac testing. All F/As are now doing the FAA mandated requal for the 400, computer based with the additional FAA mandate of hands-on training because of the evac testing failure. We did not have to do hands-on for the new 67 cabin reconfig, only computer based FAA mandated training.
(If you like to know: United has about 30 active 400s. I believe they have 2 in the desert. One was delivered in 1992 and stored in 2001, the other delivered in '93 and stored in 2003. Why, I don't know. Maybe they were leased and UA could not renegotiate the terms during BK? Maybe too expensive to get them back in flying condition?)
So, your prediction of UA's 67 and 400 demise, although possible, is way out of sync with the present reality. Weird things happen in this industry but qualifying almost 16k F/As on 2 models, (the 777 will be next,) reconfiguring the cabins on the 67 and 400 fleets, and then parking those planes?
Again, your prediction doesn't come close to the present reality, and you probably wrong again.

I wasn't talking replacing those planes right away. The airbus order we have doesn't really get going for another two years. By the time ALL the 330's come online I can see your 76's (which are newer of course) being phased out last. So what if UA spent big bucks on upgrades, we just spent a bundle renovating our old 76's as well (new interiors, lie-flat seats in first, IES's, but yet the company still wants to replace them when the new 330-200's arrive, why wouldn't they do the same with UA's? And as far as the whales go, once again I was referring to "longer term" Our A350XWB that we have on order won't start to arrive until 2014 at least! If Airbus doesn't run into any delays which they probably will. I was thinking perhaps the 400's would start to be replaced with those birds somewhere in the 2015-2020 time frame. Your 400's will be pushing 25+ years by then and with four engines burning, can you imagine what the price of fuel will be by then? Yes I can see them being replaced with a new plane that can fly the same distance with less fuel consumption, maybe with a few less paxs but hey, Parker wants less capacity right?

Latest posts

Back