More low cost competition for US Airways in NC

Eastwind Started with Two aircraft from USAirways, A/C N220 & N221 (Leased). They had PURCHASED Three or Four B737-700's and leased another Six or Seven B737-200's for a Total of about TWELVE Aircraft, Not Three! And why not comapare them to CO-Lite? They were another Metro Jet, Song or even TED, so WHY NOT compare them?

And Skybus has all ready cut flights to the West Coast.

Skybus Airlines halts Bellingham service
By The Associated Press

High fuel prices are forcing Skybus Airlines to halt service to Bellingham, the airline said today.

The Columbus, Ohio-based carrier will fly its last Bellingham-Columbus run on Jan. 5. Travelers with tickets for later dates will get refunds.

"The price of fuel definitely is the thing that pushed it over the edge," airline spokesman Bob Tenenbaum said. "It's not something anybody anticipated. The passenger loads have been excellent."

Fuel costs are forcing Skybus, which began service to Bellingham May 29, to change strategy. With just five aircraft, the company is concentrating on destinations in the East, closer to the Columbus hub, Tenenbaum said.

Skybus will also eliminate one of its two Columbus-Burbank, Calif., flights in January, and drop San Diego-Columbus service in March. Aircraft that had served those destinations will be used to expand Skybus service to North Carolina and Florida, he said.

Skybus started service last spring, garnering publicity with $10 fares available for the first 10 seats booked on each flight. While last-minute fares are considerably higher, Skybus ticket prices are generally well below other carriers. The airline captured more revenue with extra charges for assigned seats, checked bags and food and beverages.

Tenenbaum said Skybus is still growing and could add West Coast destinations, including possibly Bellingham, as its fleet expands.

"There are no current plans to resume the service," he said. "But we would definitely not rule it out. The situation's going to change and the fleet's going to get bigger."

As mentioned previously, CO-Lite Failed in GSO just as Eastwind (Yes Eastwind...run by severasl old Piedmont People) failed. As Wings mentioned, once the Money from the Airport is gone, normally the Airline follows and runs too.
According to Wikipedia, the source of all truthiness, They had leased three 737-200's and purchased Two 737-700's at their height. I just remember when I worked at GSO that the 737-700's sat there for a few months because they had nobody to fly them even though they had purchased them. I also think they had to get rid of the newer ones towards the end because they were running out of cash. Towards the end it seemed like they only were operating with 2 or three aircraft when they had the passenger revolts and had to call the police. That was when my friend was a FA for them.

Also when I say it is not an accurate comparison to compare a new well funded ultra LCC start-up to a Mainline supposed low cost division, what I mean is that a new carrier that is starting from scratch without the overhead cost of a established carrier like CO lite and Metro Jet that has to pay heavy overhaul cost and higher wages to more senior workforces and pay for things like large res offices hangers and pensions, Skybus has all brand new planes and they won't be due for heavy mntc for a few year and their staff is all junior and they have no res office.

August GSO enplanments
It's really easy to determine their load factor for their one flight for August using the enplaned passenger data from the PTI website. In August they boarded 3,731 passengers. Their schedule is for one flight a day on a Airbus that seats 156 passengers. Assuming they had no cancellations for the entire month that means they had (156 x 31= 4836 seats offered, 3731 divided by 4836=.77) a 77 percent load factor, that's not too bad for a nonstop flight with no connecting traffic since they don't sell connecting flights.

SKYBUS will pull passengers from ....... ROA, LYH, CLT, RDU, FAY, INT all within 2 hrs by car.

Passengers are already driving 100 PLUS miles to fly out of Greensboro. I have checked in passengers from Boone, NC, north of Roanoke, VA. Passengers who are looking for a bagain will drive and to them 100 miles or more to save $$$. Skybus offers MAINLINE Service to the cities and we have RJ's.

Is the E170/175/190 a RJ?
If that's what we had in GSO it'd be an improvement......

Unless they've added it recently, GSO doesn't get the 190. We may have a few 170 flights, but it's mostly turboprops and CRJ's (we do get some CRJ-900's).

Jim

GSO has a mix....CRJ200/700/900.....EM 170/175.....EM145.... and DASH 8's on SAT .. to DCA and CLT. We have not had a E-190 yet.
the Furniture Market gave us one 737-400 for one day and an extra Dash8. I think we had a total of about 36 oversales for our peak Market Day. I will be interesting if US AIRWAYS does anything in response to the SKYBUS. Most of the flighs to CLT are full or oversold on a regular basis, and the flights to PHL are same. It would be nice to get larger A/C to PHL and the return of a flight leaving PHL between 3PM and 9PM. For PHL being a hub city how does management expect business men to make DAY TRIPS if there is not a flight during regular business hrs.

SKYBUS will pull passengers from ....... ROA, LYH, CLT, RDU, FAY, INT all within 2 hrs by car.

And 2.5 hours from BLF too. I already scoped out the offerings on their site this morning. Very tempting when I need to go somewhere.

I have used GSO as a departure point in the past when fares from CRW or ROA weren't there.

Though I don't really view Skybus as a real threat NOW it eats away over time. I know, throw a few more Dash 8's on those routes to keep the business. :rolleyes: As with EVERY city it serves with a few exceptions Usairways has absolutely NO GAME. It's all about retreat, run and hide. :lol:

The track record for new entrants is poor, so US could roll the dice and hope SkyBus is just another (take your pick failed airline name). However, SkyBus, like JetBlue, has a large amount of startup capital. And there's the old standby Southwest Airlines which started with three airplanes and three cities.

That was my point. People were quick to compare them to CO lite or Metro Jet which were supposed to be low cost divisions as part of a mainline carrier or not very well funded startups. They have enough cash to try their experiment and stick around for a while and keep taking deliveries and grow. If their current business plan does not work a year or more down the line you could see them change their business plan or possibly look to merge with an existing LCC carrier with compatible equipment but they have enough cash to not disappear overnight. They could well be the next B6, FL or NK.

According to the Skybus website, GSO is now, or will be, a crew base. They are posting F/A positions at GSO.

Latest posts