Us Airways Restores Fort Lauderdale-new York

interesting note, there doesn't seem to be any connecting availability through LGA to FLL (i.e., all SYR-FLL flights still go through either PIT/PHL/CLT/DCA, nothing offered through LGA) - they really must want pt. to pt. only

Well, sitting here in Boston, I am envious. The demise of US Bos/FLorida nonstops has bothered me more than anything else about US. I'm hoping for some good news on this front too.

US is starting 4 flights LGA-FLL in November at $99. JetBlue is starting 7 flights LGA-FLL in September at $49.

How is this a wonderful opportunity for US?

TransatlanticFlyGuy said:
Wonderful news! Hopefully we will see LGA-MCO/TPA/PBI/RSW return. A LGA-SRQ flight wouldnt be a bad thing either.
Why put capacity on a route with ruinously low fares? This is wonderful news only if US Airways has the cost base to support the low fares in this market---and it doesn't.

Another question about this revived service, maybe LGA based A320Pilot can shed some light...

Many of you have seemed curious that US is not using the 757 on this route. I thought about it, and for the life of me I cannot remember EVER seeing a US B757 at LGA.

Is there a reason that US does not utilize the 757 at LGA? Is there anything that prevents it?

757 transcons frequently originated at LGA, usually stopping at Pittsburgh. You remember PIT, right?

:D Ita about damn time ! Awesum news. Now how about BOS- FLL, BOS-MIA, LGA-MIA, LGA-MCO, LGA-TPA etc...get the point! Glad to see US finally capitalizing on their strengths. Hoping to see ALOT more of this!

I agree, with competition in that segment being one of the toughest in this country, it seems ludacris that US would throw planes at what could be only a small piece of the pie. Better forward thinking and maybe some "thinking outside the box" is what will save this airline, not trying to get our hands in a cookie jar while everyone else has already beat us to the punch. MetroJet is gone, we lost the market share on the route. I have trouble believing that going back into this market will stop any bleeding.

ISP said:
Another question about this revived service, maybe LGA based A320Pilot can shed some light...

Many of you have seemed curious that US is not using the 757 on this route. I thought about it, and for the life of me I cannot remember EVER seeing a US B757 at LGA.

Is there a reason that US does not utilize the 757 at LGA? Is there anything that prevents it?
Pre-911, when I was on the 757, I used to frequent LGA often. LGA - PIT and LGA - CLT...

US Airways can use B757s in LGA, but has elected to deploy these aircraft into hyper-competitive long range markets to maximize revenue, which is a marketing decision.

The purpose of adding LGA-FLL service is to preserve the company's traffic during the busy North-South travel season in response to JetBlue's entrance into the market. US Airways will likely lose money with this service until it has a competitve cost structure.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot