Us Airways Restores Fort Lauderdale-new York

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
US Airways Restores Fort Lauderdale-New York Service; Route Becomes Latest GoFares Market
Monday July 26, 10:51 am ET

ARLINGTON, Va., July 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways today announced that it will resume service between New York (LaGuardia) and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Nov. 7, 2004, with four daily nonstop roundtrip flights. With the introduction of this service, US Airways also brings customers its new low GoFares®, with ticket prices starting as low as $99* one way, with no minimum stay or roundtrip purchase required.
"Our decision to resume service in the New York-Florida market marks the beginning of many other changes to our network as we continue to implement our transformation plan," said Andrew P. Nocella, US Airways vice president of network and revenue management. "Fort Lauderdale is the second largest destination from New York and we are very pleased to be able to restore service and offer low fares on this popular route, one that we served for many years."

New Fort Lauderdale-New York Schedule

Departs Fort Lauderdale Arrives New York
7:30 a.m. 10:17 a.m.
11:40 a.m. 2:31 p.m.
3:15 p.m. 6:02 p.m.
7:15 p.m. 10:02 p.m.

Departs New York Arrives Fort Lauderdale
7:30 a.m. 10:34 a.m.
11:15 a.m. 2:18 p.m.
3:15 p.m. 6:21 p.m.
6:55 p.m. 10:01 p.m.

US Airways' GoFares are simple, however, in addition to the fare, the federal government requires that the company collect a tax of $3.10 every time a customer takes off on one of US Airways' planes, plus $2.50 per segment, up to $10 per trip (the September 11th Security Fee). Some of the airports that customers might visit also charge up to $4.50 for passing through, but the total is capped at $18 per trip. The lowest fares must be purchased seven days in advance and are nonrefundable. Other restrictions may apply. For more details, see usairways.com.
At LaGuardia, US Airways operates 203 daily departures to 39 destinations in the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean. From Fort Lauderdale, US Airways operates six daily flights to Philadelphia (a seventh trip will be added in October), five daily flights to Charlotte, N.C., three daily flights to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, two daily flights to Pittsburgh, once- weekly (Saturday) service to Providence, R.I., and twice-weekly (Wednesday and Saturday) service to Bermuda.

Art at ISP said:
What equipment is being used? I assume 757's with only 8F seating???

My best to you all.....
FWIW, the 757 with 8F seating is probably the best aircraft for this route, given the size of the NYC-FLL leisure market.

700UW said:
US Airways Restores Fort Lauderdale-New York Service; Route Becomes Latest GoFares Market
Monday July 26, 10:51 am ET

ARLINGTON, Va., July 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways today announced that it will resume service between New York (LaGuardia) and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Nov. 7, 2004, with four daily nonstop roundtrip flights. With the introduction of this service, US Airways also brings customers its new low GoFares®, with ticket prices starting as low as $99* one way, with no minimum stay or roundtrip purchase required.
"Our decision to resume service in the New York-Florida market marks the beginning of many other changes to our network as we continue to implement our transformation plan," said Andrew P. Nocella, US Airways vice president of network and revenue management. "Fort Lauderdale is the second largest destination from New York and we are very pleased to be able to restore service and offer low fares on this popular route, one that we served for many years."

New Fort Lauderdale-New York Schedule

Departs Fort Lauderdale Arrives New York
7:30 a.m. 10:17 a.m.
11:40 a.m. 2:31 p.m.
3:15 p.m. 6:02 p.m.
7:15 p.m. 10:02 p.m.

Departs New York Arrives Fort Lauderdale
7:30 a.m. 10:34 a.m.
11:15 a.m. 2:18 p.m.
3:15 p.m. 6:21 p.m.
6:55 p.m. 10:01 p.m.

US Airways' GoFares are simple, however, in addition to the fare, the federal government requires that the company collect a tax of $3.10 every time a customer takes off on one of US Airways' planes, plus $2.50 per segment, up to $10 per trip (the September 11th Security Fee). Some of the airports that customers might visit also charge up to $4.50 for passing through, but the total is capped at $18 per trip. The lowest fares must be purchased seven days in advance and are nonrefundable. Other restrictions may apply. For more details, see usairways.com.
At LaGuardia, US Airways operates 203 daily departures to 39 destinations in the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean. From Fort Lauderdale, US Airways operates six daily flights to Philadelphia (a seventh trip will be added in October), five daily flights to Charlotte, N.C., three daily flights to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, two daily flights to Pittsburgh, once- weekly (Saturday) service to Providence, R.I., and twice-weekly (Wednesday and Saturday) service to Bermuda.
Sounds like a plan.

Right now US is showing an A319 for these flights. However, I sometimes see US put an A319 in the system and then switch it to an A320 or A321 if demand builds.

Who was the bonehead who dropped the route anyway?.... That is the real story...All this time we have been losing business from New York, offering only connecting flights from Laguardia to congested airports like Philadelphia....Ugh!

Travellers liked the non-stop "Metrojet" service we offered on the East Coast...I guess nobody knew how to operate it to make a profit, and let Southwest have Baltimore....Seems like the "Go-Fares" are an attempted to go back to that....

METROJET
METROJET

I knew it was a big mistake to dump those metrojet routes from NYC and BOS, but Steve and Rakesh thought otherwise. Everyones eyes were focused on RJ's.

Metrojet was a failure, the only costs that were lower were the pilots rates. Rakesh wanted to negotiate a new classification for all other employees who were going to work Metrojet and due to 9/11 the plug was pulled.

With fares starting at $99 US is not even competing with Song and should not expect to garner much marketshare, although a little may go a long way. However, Song offers more legroom and lower price, jetblue will be like wise and Spirit, AA offers dirt cheap fares. What makes management at U think, that this sounds like a great idea/route?

Perhaps U needs to get away from only offering Go fares in markets they are already losing or close to losing. Perhaps they need to be forward thinking for once and start the fares, to prevent others from stealing the market away.

After BWI, it is hard to believe, that they did not have forward thought wrt. Philly, but they did not. No one wants PIT, not even U, La Guardia and National is artificially protected and as for CLT who knows. That leaves two airports, were U can charge higher fares, will that be enough to sustain them?

The idea here is to get to a point where US does not need to charge astronomical fares to survive. The $2,000 coast to coast fares are gone forever. US knows it. And, US is trying to live with it.

700UW said:
Metrojet was a failure, the only costs that were lower were the pilots rates. Rakesh wanted to negotiate a new classification for all other employees who were going to work Metrojet and due to 9/11 the plug was pulled.
Someone stated here a long while ago that certain Metrojet routes had good yields. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the NYC and BOS to Florida ones. The routes connecting through BWI didn't make sense to me...

I've often heard that once an airline abandons a market, it's very difficult to re-enter it. How true is that? And how is it that it would be profitable now when it apparently wasn't profitable before? Also, how could we compete with the other carriers in the NYC-FLL market by running a couple of 319s up and down the coast, while others use larger a/c?

I did some looking and found out the following airlines' schedules from various NYC area airports to FLL. This wasn't an exhaustive search, just a quick look at weekday flights for the following carriers.

AA:
LGA-FLL 4 flights/day. All 757s

DAL:
LGA-FLL 4 flights/day. All 757s
JFK-FLL 5 flights/day. All 757s

JetBlue
JFK-FLL 12 flights/day. All 320s

CO
EWR-FLL 6 flights/day. 5 757s and one 737-800

Then, since many flyers use the FLL and MIA airports interchangeably, if you add in AA's service to MIA from LGA, JFK and EWR, that's 10 more flights a day, 4 on a 757, 3 on an A300 and 3 on an MD-80. Continental runs 5 EWR-MIA flights/day.

So, I guess my point is, how can we expect to make a profit in that market? I hope we can, but is it possible?

Latest posts