More Pain! As If We Didn't Know!

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
Associated Press
More Job Cuts Seen at American Airlines
Wednesday November 3, 5:47 pm ET
CEO Warns of More Job Cuts at American Airlines in Bid to Compete With Other Carriers

DALLAS (AP) -- American Airlines, struggling to compete with lower-overhead carriers, will cut more jobs to reduce costs, chief executive Gerard Arpey said Wednesday.
The company had already disclosed that it would lay off up to 650 mechanics and 450 pilots, as CEO Gerard Arpey reminded investors during a meeting in Fort Worth.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We will see more cuts across the board, all workers, in the months ahead," Arpey added.

American and other carriers are losing money as they are squeezed by high fuel costs and tough competition that makes it hard to raise fares. American's Fort Worth-based parent, AMR Corp., reported recently that it lost $214 million in the July-September quarter and expected an even bigger loss in the fourth quarter.

AMR would have made money in the third quarter if fuel prices had remained at last year's levels. Arpey said Wednesday that American would pay about $500 million more for fuel in the fourth quarter than it did during the same period last year.

"Were it not for Exxon getting most of our money this year, we would have been able to make some progress," he said.

Arpey also blamed the airline industry's problems on carriers continuing to add seats for sale, which has depressed fares. American has joined in the rush -- increasing capacity by 2.3 percent in October, although traffic rose more, up 9.1 percent.

UAL Corp.'s United, Delta Air Lines Inc. and Continental Airlines Inc. all raised capacity in the third quarter compared to a year earlier.

"You would think these were very robust times for the airline industry," Arpey said.

American has said it would cut its U.S. flight schedule by 5 percent early next year.

On another issue, Arpey, who is also chairman and CEO of AMR, said the parent company was still considering selling its investment subsidiary and the commuter airline American Eagle. He added, however, that commuter carriers are profitable while most of the so-called mainline airlines are losing money.

AMR shares closed down 21 cents, or 2.5 percent, at $8.06 n the New York Stock Exchange

READ THE BOLD TEXT AND FLINCH!!!!!!!

Airline to test new fees
American may charge for some services that have been free

11:16 PM CST on Wednesday, November 3, 2004

By ERIC TORBENSON / The Dallas Morning News

Looking to boost flagging revenue, American Airlines Inc. will try charging its lowest-paying passengers for some of the services they now get for free.

Chairman Gerard Arpey didn't release details of the planned experiments during a wide-ranging discussion Wednesday with analysts and investors near the company's Fort Worth headquarters.

He said the carrier is serious about finding ways to "drive incremental revenue" without increasing fares, as the entire airline industry struggles with skyrocketing fuel prices and intense competition over prices.

American has instituted some fare increases in the past month, amounting to about $200 million more in annual revenue.

But the hikes won't come close to covering the extra $1.2 billion that American will spend on jet fuel this year compared with 2003, the carrier said.

American has already identified more fees to charge coach passengers.

The carrier has announced plans to charge $10 to $12 to use a new handheld entertainment system. It will also sell amenity kits for $5 on Tokyo flights.

The potential changes don't mean the airline will try to emulate low-fare carriers in Europe such as Ryanair, said American spokesman Tim Wagner.

In Europe, discount carriers routinely charge passengers for virtually every frill available – food, drinks and even for some kinds of checked baggage.

In other notes from the conference, American said:

• More job cuts are likely. American said Oct. 22 that it would lay off up to 1,100 employees between pilots and mechanics next year.

• American will probably negotiate side letters of agreement that could significantly change the labor agreements it reached in April 2003, said Jeff Brundage, senior vice president of human resources.

American's labor groups continue to work closely with management, but no talks are under way about modifying the union's defined benefit pension plans.

Initial talks to change those agreements are set to start in 2006, and the agreements themselves can't be changed until late 2008 under their current form.

However, nearly all major labor contracts have side letters that can modify parts of the complex deals, and American is likely to pursue changes that way, he said.
Other carriers such as US Airways Inc., United Airlines Inc. and Delta Air Lines Inc. are moving away from defined benefit pension plans, and Mr. Brundage and Mr. Arpey reiterated that American cannot afford to be "uncompetitive in all aspects of our business."

• American will continue to expand its international operations in 2005 and shrink its domestic departures.

International flying will account for 40 percent of American's schedule, up from 33 percent this year. American's domestic schedule will shrink 5 percent in the first quarter.

• Much of American's growth at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport next year will involve regional jets to some midsize cities, said Henry Joyner, senior vice president of planning.

The airline will build a schedule designed to fly more North Texans to and from D/FW and connect fewer passengers from one city to another. Connecting fliers yield far less revenue than local travelers, he said.

• American is in talks with Boeing Co. over future plane deliveries. American persuaded small jet manufacturer Embraer to cancel 18 regional jet orders, and it could be looking to cut some orders at Boeing. Mr. Arpey said news about those talks is imminent.

American is set to take 47 Boeing 737-800s and nine Boeing 777-200ERs between 2006 and 2010.

• Mr. Arpey said that he was very excited about the long-range version of Boeing's 7E7 aircraft but that he was in no position to think about putting deposits on the plane.

• The airline is nearing its official announcement of an improved lie-flat business class seat, said Lauri Curtis, the carrier's vice president of flight service.

The seat won't be in the carrier's Boeing 767 and 777 fleet for some time, however.

Shares of American parent AMR Corp. dropped 21 cents to $8.06.

Looks like it's starting to look and sound like last year again. BOO-HOO-HOO, we can't make any money,so we need concessions from you to avoid bankruptcy. I read that the TWU will not allow a vote on the new concession package. It will all be handled by a Letter of Agreement! I guess Jim little will be inline for another raise and promotion!

Do any of the TWU supporeters care to comment on this letter?

WE SAVED 12,000 JOBS, THREE MAINTENANCE BASES, AND HAVE THE LOWEST OUTSOURCE PERCENTAGE IN THE INDUSTRY.

WE WOULD NEVER ALLOW OUR MEMBERSHIP TO BE DECIMATED LIKE WHAT HAS HAPPENED AT AMFA REPRESENTED AIRLINES.

HAVE A TWU SOLIDARITY DAY. THANKS TO THE TWU BROTHERS AND SISTERS THAT WILL SOON BE SACRIFICED VIA LETTER OF AGREEMENT.

SIGNED,
CHECKING IT OUT.

i suspect the only reply we will get is "THEY CAN DO THAT" and "JUST BE GLAD YOU HAVE A JOB BROTHER". <_<

•[/QUOTE] American will probably negotiate side letters of agreement that could significantly change the labor agreements it reached in April 2003, said Jeff Brundage, senior vice president of human resources.
I'm sure we will get to vote on these significant changes. :shock: :shock:

AMFAMAN said:
American will probably negotiate side letters of agreement that could significantly change the labor agreements it reached in April 2003, said Jeff Brundage, senior vice president of human resources.
I'm sure we will get to vote on these significant changes. :shock: :shock:
[post="198051"][/post]​

NOT!

The TWU sucessfully argued in Federal Court, of New York against TWU Local 562 Chuck-n-Bob that there is no Constitutional requirement to allow membership ratification of amendments or changes to the labor agreement.

Trying to explain the importance of this opinion to the average TWU supporter is an impossible task.

Until the water reaches their groin area, there is NO water in the boat. And even then, if drowning is not imminent then why be concerned.

Awwwkkk,

Don't look now, but we must distribute a new "Snake t-shirt" or a "t-shirt about shared sacrifice".

Yeah that's it a new t-shirt with a slogan, that'll fix the problem.

An injustice to one, is an injustice to all.

Will Strike if provoked.

What part of union, don't you understand.

United we bargain, divided we beg.

Proud to be Union, Local 514.

Aviation Inmate.

Don't lower wages, oppose right-to-work.

How about a quote from former TWU local 514 president ED WILSON. "WE NEGOTIATED THESE LOW WAGES TO PREVENT LAYOFFS". I think that would make a fine TWU T-shirt,don't you? :up:

I cannot and will not speak for the other TWU supporters. I personally will fight all attempts for further concessions through my local. I believe the companies need to realize that the consumers do have $$$ they haven't spent yet and that there lies the cost of fuel, not here.

Name: Today's Newspaper Reports on American
Email:
Employer:
Station:
Date: Thursday November 04, 2004
Time: 09:44:40 PM

Comments
VIA FACSIMILE

Mr. Jeff Brundage
Sr. Vice President ER
American Airlines, Inc.
PO Box 616616 MD 5235
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616

Re: Today’s Newspaper Reports on American

Dear Jeff:

This is in follow-up to our joint APA, APFA, and TWU debrief conference call today. We discussed our concerns over the published articles in the Fort Worth Star Telegram and Dallas Morning News (attached) that quotes you as saying “American will probably negotiate side letter of agreements that could significantly change the labor agreements it reached in April 2003.â€

During our call, I reemphasized that the TWU will not renegotiate our collective bargaining agreement through any side letters. Any changes that modify or amend our collective bargaining agreement reached in April 2003, or any restructuring will be decided and ratified by our membership with no exceptions. We have asked that you respond in writing clarifying these misquotes as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

James C. Little
Director Air Transport Division
Intl. Executive Vice President

Attachments

JCL:cjw opeiu-153 afl-cio
C: ATD TWU AA Staff assigned
TWU Presidents 501-590

Letter AA-TWU - Thursday, November 04, 2004 at 18:20
AmericanAirlines®

November 4, 2004

TO: James C. Little
Capt. Ralph Hunter
Tommie Hutto-Blake

As we discussed during our debriefing of yesterday’s analyst’s conference, the session was American’s opportunity to discuss many issues with the financial analysts who follow our industry. Interestingly, there was as much interest in our collaborative approach to labor relations as there was about any of the traditional fiscal issues that typically capture their attention. The analysts were very positive about what we together have accomplished so far, and especially about our framework for moving forward.

In response to one question, I tried to educate those who are not familiar with labor relations in the airline industry or the processes we use to resolve issues that are unique to American. Unfortunately, the media’s attempt to summarize my response resulted in one sentence that took the explanation out of context. Let me assure you that I never said nor implied that we have any intentions of circumventing the collective bargaining process, including the ratification process.

What I was saying was that because of the way we are changing the business, we can collaborate on solutions that help the company without violating the negotiated contract. My point was we all recognize that the success of American Airlines has to be our shared goal; therefore, we have to resolve our issues and improve our processes continually.

I tried to be as careful and specific as I can be in explaining how we can move forward together. In this case, my attempt to educate the analysts led to a misinterpretation.

Unfortunately, we can’t always prevent the miscommunication that happens when working with the media; but the good news is that we are now communicating well enough that we raise issues when they occur and respond accordingly. I appreciate your candor and your willingness to work together to reach our mutual goal.

Sincerely,
Jeff Brundage
Senior Vice President,
Human Resources

Oh yeah,

I really believe Mr Little and Mr Brundage on this matter, don't you?

Little is a proven liar, and Brundage is management.

Decision 2004 said:
Oh yeah,

I really believe Mr Little and Mr Brundage on this matter, don't you?

Little is a proven liar, and Brundage is management.
[post="198180"][/post]​

Where did the media get the term "Letter of Agreement"?