Muslim Woman Claims She Was Discriminated Against on UA Flight

FrugalFlyerv2.0

Veteran
Oct 29, 2003
http://www.people.com/article/muslim-woman-united-flight-discrimintation

"I am in tears of humiliation from discrimination," she wrote. "The flight attendant asked me what I would like to drink and I requested a can of Diet Coke. She brought me a can that was open so I requested an unopened can due to hygienic reasons. She said no one has consumed from the drink, but I requested an unopened can. She responded, 'Well I'm sorry I just can't give you an unopened can so no Diet Coke for you.' She then brought the man sitting next to me a can of UNOPENED beer. So I asked her again why she refused to give me an UNOPENED can of Diet Coke. She said, 'We are unauthorized to give unopened cans to people because they may use it as a WEAPON on the plane.' "
Ahmad's tale doesn't end there. When she asked other passengers if they "witnessed this discriminatory and disgusting behavior," Ahmad says a man cursed her out and made offensive comments about her religion.
----------------------------

I can only say 2 things about this:
i)  if the account is true, then "wow" or, ii) UA (and others) should get accustomed to these kinds of shake downs.