Need help/advice following death of pilot in plane crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedg

May 18, 2009
15 Months ago my Father in law was killed in a plane crash. He was flying a Cessna 140. He was a capt for AA, had around 25,000hrs.
My husband is a career pilot as well. He has taken this extremely hard. He has a hard time working now, especially in weather (which is what brought down his dads plane).
He now has a love/hate with flying. Due to financial responsibilities he must keep flying considering he has no training whatsoever in any other field. Not easy to switch careers...
What Im looking for is advice, anything that could be of help for my husband.
Does anyone know of support groups, should I suggest counseling to him? It just seems to me that it makes it ALL that much harder considering that the same thing he has loved since he was a little boy, his career, is the same thing that killed his father.....
Thanks in advance for any help

Sorry for your loss. My Dad was a pilot too. The risk in flying is always in the back of your mind, although the risk are no higher for danger than in most professions. It sounds like your husband needs to talk with a professional. Whether someone in the clergy or maybe even a therapist. He might be having a harder time actually missing his Dad more than dealing with the way he lost him. Only someone educated in that area can really help him through this. Once again, my condolences for your loss.

Sorry for you loss also.

My suggestion would be to try to get in touch with other AA pilot friends your father-in-law would have known. They might be able to help or get in touch with the AA pilots union, the Allied Pilots Association. I looked on the website but couldn't find the direct contact info, but I believe there are some members who volunteer to help fellow pilots who are in stressfull situations. While it's for AA pilots, I'm sure someone might be willing to talk to you or your husband since he was an AA family member. The number is 1-800-323-1470.

I don't have any direct experience with somehting like this. The only thing I can think of similar is our Guard/Reserve fighter pilot guys who keep on flying high risk missions after having a fellow pilot killed on a mission. I'm sure it bothers them, but they keep at it even after seeing more than a few pass away.

Best of luck. Post again if your not getting anywhere with contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts