Need Your Opinion

Riptide

Aug 27, 2003
I am currently developing an adventure/tourism and bush training operation and I need some feedback on it - please let me know what you think (experienced or not). A fellow aviation friend and I have bought an outfitting lodge with licences. The lodge is a beautiful facility with several buildings (main lodge, staff quarters, operations centre, storage area, etc). We are buying a puddle-jumper and we own a C-185 (a Beaver may be in the works, depending on funds!).

Our plans:

We will offer the hunting trips in season. However, our main focus will be on bush training and adventure/tourism in a year-round operation. We are developing a training program that will include a 7-hour endorsement on the puddle-jumper (to save cost) with the option of 50 hours on the C-185 or the jumper (C-185 prefered for career-minded pilots), 25 hours on each, or a customized combination. We will teach external loads, max weight, river landing, dangerous goods, and wilderness survival with multi-day excursions. During freeze the aircraft will be on skis. All the while training, students will be immersed in an outfitting atmosphere, and will take part in daily operations of the camp. That way they will be able to include experience on their resume. Outside of the training aspect, the venture will include (to students or customers strictly interested in the adventure tourism) kayaking, camping, and hiking tours. Our experiences include military training, and over 25 years of bush operations around the world.

Can this work? It has been done in the past so what must we do to make it work in rural Canada?

Your reply is much appreciated and helpful. Post here or PM. Regards.