Negotiations Summit

SharoninSAT

Veteran
Oct 9, 2005
SAT/WN
Leaders from SWAPA, TWU 555, IAM 142, and TWU 556 discuss
common challenges during negotiations with SW...

TWU 556
Unions Representing Southwest Airlines Employees Participate in Negotiations Summit

On Monday, August 26, Negotiating members from several key Labor groups participated in a Negotiations Summit. Pilot negotiators (SWAPA), members of Ground OPS (TWU 555), Reservations/Customer Service (IAM 142), and the Flight Attendants (TWU 556) met to discuss common obstacles experienced in current negotiations with Southwest Airlines. Several areas were identified that point to an overall collective strategy by Southwest Airlines to reduce costs by limiting Labor contracts. The Labor groups that attended the Negotiations Summit mutually agreed to establish a schedule for future meetings. We have agreed to convene quarterly with the next Summit taking place in December. In the best interests of Southwest Airlines, its Employees, and Customers, all in attendance believe that a collaborative approach to protect the unique culture of our “LUVed” Company is appropriate.

It'd be great if they had AMFA involved, but from what I remember reading the IAM and/or TWU didn't want them there... So much for labor solidarity.

There was a video transcript of the meeting.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBIC8JTQMMQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwBIC8JTQMMQ

It'd be great if they had AMFA involved, but from what I remember reading the IAM and/or TWU didn't want them there... So much for labor solidarity.

Yep, I agree. All of the Unions on Southwest property, especially AMFA, should be included and represented.

Yep, I agree. All of the Unions on Southwest property, especially AMFA, should be included and represented.
If I am not mistaken AMFA wanted and tried to be a part of this. AMFA is and was more than happy and supportive to join forces with our other employee groups to help out. It's the other unions that hate AMFA that "will not" allow AMFA to join this group. The union is mainly the TWU as well as the teamsters that are left on the property. You see, (especially the teamsters) these two unions are upset with AMFA for replacing both these unions at SWA as well as at other airlines. What they fail to see is this has been and ALWAYS will be brought on by the employees of SWA NOT an outside industrial union just trying to get more dues monies brought into the international levels. It also shows that the TWU and teamsters are NOT for the betterment of all employees at SWA, otherwise they would fully welcome AMFA to the table with open arms. The mechanics group and pilots have a good relationship and I think the pilots should over rule what the TWU and teamsters are doing. They should put past elections behind them and come "together" with all employees and not eliminate the AMFA groups. Just look at how many more groups could join this venture. All this childish actions by the TWU and the teamsters and their willingness to not support AMFA as part of the group shows their complete immaturity and unprofessionalism as well as highlighting the fact that they are not willing to support "all" employees of SWA just because of their union representation and the grudges they hold. Someone from this group should STEP-UP and write to AMFA National and ask for their participation to this cause, I will guarantee you that AMFA would love to attend and help out. Just so pathetic how long the other unions hold the other "employees" of SWA back just because they have a grudge with the AMFA union.

Reactions: 1 person
Let's push this a little further and ask AMFA to join, in writing, they would love to. Why wouldn't the group want AMFA? It will only improve the communications as a positive.

Let's push this a little further and ask AMFA to join, in writing, they would love to. Why wouldn't the group want AMFA? It will only improve the communications as a positive.

I know that amfa has tried and was even given a response to a letter sent by local 11 ALR.

If I am not mistaken AMFA wanted and tried to be a part of this. AMFA is and was more than happy and supportive to join forces with our other employee groups to help out. It's the other unions that hate AMFA that "will not" allow AMFA to join this group. The union is mainly the TWU as well as the teamsters that are left on the property. You see, (especially the teamsters) these two unions are upset with AMFA for replacing both these unions at SWA as well as at other airlines. What they fail to see is this has been and ALWAYS will be brought on by the employees of SWA NOT an outside industrial union just trying to get more dues monies brought into the international levels. It also shows that the TWU and teamsters are NOT for the betterment of all employees at SWA, otherwise they would fully welcome AMFA to the table with open arms. The mechanics group and pilots have a good relationship and I think the pilots should over rule what the TWU and teamsters are doing. They should put past elections behind them and come "together" with all employees and not eliminate the AMFA groups. Just look at how many more groups could join this venture. All this childish actions by the TWU and the teamsters and their willingness to not support AMFA as part of the group shows their complete immaturity and unprofessionalism as well as highlighting the fact that they are not willing to support "all" employees of SWA just because of their union representation and the grudges they hold. Someone from this group should STEP-UP and write to AMFA National and ask for their participation to this cause, I will guarantee you that AMFA would love to attend and help out. Just so pathetic how long the other unions hold the other "employees" of SWA back just because they have a grudge with the AMFA union.
I'm sorry to hear that swamt. Nothing was ever mentioned at our union meetings. The topic I posted was from the TWU website after
reading about the Labor Summit on the IAM website. Many issues and challenges are facing all of the unions on property and all
should be included. AMFA is the best of all of them and has much to contribute to the discussions of the group. I have since read the
letter from TWU to AMFA and their response. I agree that it is very pathetic that AMFA is being excluded from the Summit by the other
unions.

SharoninSAT said:
I'm sorry to hear that swamt. Nothing was ever mentioned at our union meetings. The topic I posted was from the TWU website after
reading about the Labor Summit on the IAM website. Many issues and challenges are facing all of the unions on property and all
should be included. AMFA is the best of all of them and has much to contribute to the discussions of the group. I have since read the
letter from TWU to AMFA and their response. I agree that it is very pathetic that AMFA is being excluded from the Summit by the other
unions.
Hey SharoninSAT, looks like we are making some progress with uniting the groups at SWA.  Below is a para from our National Directors update.  I know we have been putting pressure on our leaders to gain access, hope other groups are now looking at accepting all unions and employees and forgoing their past hardships.  Here's the para that reads to me that our group is finally accepted:

Also, at Southwest Airlines, our National Secretary/Treasurer and Local 11 President participated in the SWA Labor Summit, a contingent of unions who represent workers at SWA. Our acceptance in this group was the culmination of much hard work and we look forward to continuing our presence.

Great news to me...

swamt said:
Hey SharoninSAT, looks like we are making some progress with uniting the groups at SWA.  Below is a para from our National Directors update.  I know we have been putting pressure on our leaders to gain access, hope other groups are now looking at accepting all unions and employees and forgoing their past hardships.  Here's the para that reads to me that our group is finally accepted:

Also, at Southwest Airlines, our National Secretary/Treasurer and Local 11 President participated in the SWA Labor Summit, a contingent of unions who represent workers at SWA. Our acceptance in this group was the culmination of much hard work and we look forward to continuing our presence.

Great news to me...
Thanks swamt, that is great news!   :)
It looks like all of the AMFA hard work paid off and it will
certainly benefit the Summit group and the employees.
All of the SW unions being represented, now that's solidarity!  :)
I'll ask about it at the next Local 142 meeting.
Again… great news!

SharoninSAT said:
Thanks swamt, that is great news!   :)
It looks like all of the AMFA hard work paid off and it will
certainly benefit the Summit group and the employees.
All of the SW unions being represented, now that's solidarity!  :)
I'll ask about it at the next Local 142 meeting.
Again… great news!
Thx Sharon.   Look forward to hearing from you after your meeting.  Just glad all could see thru the blinders and see that this will benefit all employees involved, no matter what union they belong to.  Fantastic progress and look forward to future meetings.

SharoninSAT,  Have you had your union meeting where they discussed the Negotiations Summit?

swamt said:
SharoninSAT,  Have you had your union meeting where they discussed the Negotiations Summit?
Hi swamt,
Our meetings are the 2nd Wed. of the month... with beer and pizza ;). For the Nov. meeting, the person
that would have some information on the Summit was in Dallas at an IAM negotiation. Looking forward
to discussing the Summit at the Dec. meeting. 

Hi swamt,
Our meetings are the 2nd Wed. of the month... with beer and pizza ;). For the Nov. meeting, the person
that would have some information on the Summit was in Dallas at an IAM negotiation. Looking forward
to discussing the Summit at the Dec. meeting.
Ok. Thx for the update...

swamt said:
Ok. Thx for the update...

I attended the Dec. meeting and when I asked about AMFA being included in the Dec. 3 Summit meeting,
I was told they were not included because AMFA is still not being recognized by the group, as they are not 
under the AFL-CIO umbrella. That's pretty sorry and I did tell them that they should be invited as we are all 
working toward the same goals. The membership attending agreed. I was told also that what AMFA attended 
was GK's earnings meeting with all the Unions on property. Sorry the news isn't better swamt and we will
continue to push for AMFA being included in the Union Summit's.

Latest posts