New daily LGA-LWB service (Greenbrier, WV)

I just noticed, completely by accident, that US has started flying a daily Chautauqua ERJ on the LGA-LWB (Greenbrier/Lewisburg, WV) route since April 19. This is a seasonal RJ flight that US flies to LWB every summer for six months or so, but this is the first time it's been from LGA; last year it was a PSA CRJ from PHL. Air Midwest also serves LWB year-round as US Airways Express with B1900s from CLT/PIT/IAD.

Of course, new routes are good news, especially new routes at LGA, where US hasn't been making much noise lately compared to other carriers. :up:

But Tempe didn't bother to issue a press release for the new service, just like it hasn't bothered to do for a bunch of other new East routes since the merger. :down:

I pay way more attention to US's schedules than the average person; if I didn't even notice this service until after it had started, how can US expect its target customers to know about it so that they can buy tickets? :rolleyes:

Several years ago, the LGA-LWB service was operated with F-100s on the weekends.

It had been mainline until a few years back. I think it even ran LWB-CLT for awhile instead of LGA.

The run is subsidized by the Greenbrier to bring in guests to the resort.

Too bad the lowest fare LGA-LWB is $442+ RT with 21 day advance or the locals might take some trips to NYC.

It had been mainline until a few years back. I think it even ran LWB-CLT for awhile instead of LGA.

The run is subsidized by the Greenbrier to bring in guests to the resort.

Too bad the lowest fare LGA-LWB is $442+ RT with 21 day advance or the locals might take some trips to NYC.

If the lowest fare is $442 roundtrip, what exactly is being subsidized? :eek:

This route is nowhere near targeted at the low yield leisure crowd. Its being subsidized by the politicians and old money flying there. Rooms at the resort start at $389 a night, thats without taxes.

If the lowest fare is $442 roundtrip, what exactly is being subsidized? :eek:

Actually, a flight can be subsidized regardless of the fare. The subsidy is usually based on revenue - a certain amount is guaranteed. A high fare means nothing if only a few people are on the flight. Hence the guaranteed revenue, via subsidy, would kick in.

Jim

Actually, a flight can be subsidized regardless of the fare. The subsidy is usually based on revenue - a certain amount is guaranteed. A high fare means nothing if only a few people are on the flight. Hence the guaranteed revenue, via subsidy, would kick in.

Jim

Thanks for the explanation.

I've never flown to LWB but have flown to some of the EAS subsidized cities like SHD and HGR, where the fares are astronomical and the loads are low even on a B1900.

I've never flown to LWB but have flown to some of the EAS subsidized cities like SHD and HGR, where the fares are astronomical and the loads are low even on a B1900.
I don't know if the EAS subsidies work the same or not - maybe someone else can chip in on those.

The non-federal subsidies** offered by small airports usually take the form of a revenue guarantee. Occassionally, business groups will offer passenger number guarantees.

**The money for some subsidies offered by small airports actually comes from the FAA, though the airport negotiates with the airline. This was the case at Pinehurst, NC - they lost the US Express flights to CLT post-911 and have been trying to get replacement service since. They recently reached an agreement for DL express service to ATL with a revenue guarantee, using money granted for the purpose by the FAA (use it or lose it by this fall). There'll also be a cost to the airport (ran by the county) - they have to provide all ground functions including security, ticket counter, etc.

Jim

Latest posts