New Delta Connection Flights

From the press release:

----------------
Known for its convenience, comfort and speed, the CRJ carries passengers in a two-by-two seating arrangement; every seat is an aisle or window, with no middle seats. The plane can cruise at a speed of 530 mph at altitudes as high as 41,000 feet and is recognized as the quietest commercial jet aircraft in the world.
----------------​

What the .... ? Let''s take a look at this, one "advantage" at a time:

Convenience -- how is boarding a CRJ more convenient than boarding an EMB-120? It''s the same!

Comfort -- NOT! I hate the CRJ! I would rather fly a turboprop. The EMB-120 is *more* comfortable. 1x2 seating is fine for an aircraft that size; 2x2 seating is not.

Speed -- hello, we''re not talking 1,000 mile trips here. You''re not getting anywhere close to 41,000 feet between DFW and HOU.

Thanks the public''s irrational fear of turboprops and the airlines'' unwillingness to combat those fears, the airlines cave in and buy all these regional jets. Replacing mainline or turboprop flying on a short route does not save any time on a RJ, and the comfort level of a CRJ is a record low.

Thanks to regional jets, ILE is gone completely, and the 5:40 AM HOU-DFW flight is gone.

I *always* take the 5:40 AM flight out of HOU. I get an early start to my day, and there''s no traffic nor security line.

Gee, I may have to consider Southwest!

----------------
On 4/25/2003 12:41:53 PM JS wrote:

From the press release:

----------------

Known for its convenience, comfort and speed, the CRJ carries passengers in a two-by-two seating arrangement; every seat is an aisle or window, with no middle seats. The plane can cruise at a speed of 530 mph at altitudes as high as 41,000 feet and is recognized as the quietest commercial jet aircraft in the world.

----------------​

Convenience -- how is boarding a CRJ more convenient than boarding an EMB-120? It''s the same!

Comfort -- NOT! I hate the CRJ! I would rather fly a turboprop. The EMB-120 is *more* comfortable. 1x2 seating is fine for an aircraft that size; 2x2 seating is not.

Speed -- hello, we''re not talking 1,000 mile trips here. You''re not getting anywhere close to 41,000 feet between DFW and HOU.

Thanks the public''s irrational fear of turboprops and the airlines'' unwillingness to combat those fears, the airlines cave in and buy all these regional jets. Replacing mainline or turboprop flying on a short route does not save any time on a RJ, and the comfort level of a CRJ is a record low.

Thanks to regional jets, ILE is gone completely, and the 5:40 AM HOU-DFW flight is gone.

I *always* take the 5:40 AM flight out of HOU. I get an early start to my day, and there''s no traffic nor security line.

----------------​

Before you jump off that cliff and call SWA,there is always AA. I do hope they reconsider the move out of ILE. Believe it or not,ILE is getting traffic from the far north Austin suburbs,such as Georgetown,and Round Rock. ILE is alot more convenient than AUS,and quicker from the car to the plane. Oh well,the new airport will be open next summer and hopefully DL will reinstitute service.

----------------
On 4/25/2003 2:48:51 PM texflyer wrote:

Before you jump off that cliff and call SWA,there is always AA. I do hope they reconsider the move out of ILE. Believe it or not,ILE is getting traffic from the far north Austin suburbs,such as Georgetown,and Round Rock. ILE is alot more convenient than AUS,and quicker from the car to the plane. Oh well,the new airport will be open next summer and hopefully DL will reinstitute service.

----------------​

AA already flies RJ''s between DFW and HOU.

----------------
On 4/25/2003 4:07:51 PM JS wrote:

----------------

On 4/25/2003 2:48:51 PM texflyer wrote:

----------------​

AA already flies RJ''s between DFW and HOU.

----------------​

Hmmmmmm...........I see why you are upset now. That truly sucks. On a brighter note,SWA is now flying from some of the new gates at HOU.

----------------

----------------

Convenience - the CRJ is much easier and faster to board then the emb-120 - we are able to use the jetbridge for loading and unloading the CRJ passengers - which means no steps down to the ramp and then back up again.

Comfortable??? The EMB is only more comfortable if you are the only one on the plane...the CRJ is bigger then the emb-120 and the 2*2 seating is roomier then the emb-120 1*2 seating. Also with the larger aircraft we have less planeside checked baggage which expedites you being able to move into the terminal much faster.

Speed - the flight time between HOU and DFW is less in the CRJ then the emb-120. The EMB-120 avgs 1hr 15min to 1hr 30min where the crj normally made the trip in less then an hour. Headwinds and tailwinds do cause fluctuations on the flying time, but in the CRJ you are able to climb to higher altitudes and avoid the low level turbulance.

The 5:40am departure from HOU is not gone because of the CRJs - it is gone because of passenger volume. The EMB seats 30 passengers and the normal passenger load out on that flight is 4-10 passengers. There is the exception to the rule where we fly more then 10 people on that early flight, but very rarely. I too am going to miss the 540am departure, that was the easiest flight to nonrev on!

Wayne
HOU