New Isp Terminal Getting Ready.

Feb 11, 2004
Jetways are going into place at the new SWA Terminal at ISP. It looks like a new number patterns will be used for the gates from the current form. The light up sign that is placed at the end of the jetways start with "A". The "A7" jetway is the one that is already up. It also looks like what would be the "A8" gate will be a dual bridge.

Im sure this will also be a gate services jetways since they all look new sittin gon the flat bed trucks

Since the boarding bridge that we currently use at Gate 14 is still fairly new (2 yrs old). it get transferred to the new Gate A8 once we we move into the new East Concourse. A5, A6 and A7 have their own new boarding bridges. A8 will not be an over the wing bridge... It'll be regular apron drive bridge. That long tunnel that extends from the building enables us to have that eighth parking spot.

We should be set to move in there in about mid-May of this year. The existing concourse will be demo'ed and it should take about another 12-14 months for Gates A1, A2, A3 and A4 to be built. We're a little behind now due to the harsh winter, they were unable to join the new ramp to the existing ramp area and taxiway.

Hey N735SA- Are there any other good detail about the new terminal you can tell about? Food Courts, airport tv (CNN airport channel) or other things

N735SA said:
There will be a Friday's, A&W burger place, an irish pub, and a few other things, as well as some stores.
Any talk of putting in Maintenance?

I would leave my current employer in a heartbeat to work for SWA at ISP.

Im happy to see ISP we'll now have some real food locations for people to eat at. I know that the old Terminal has the Snack bar and the bar upstairs, but they just dont cut it anymore with the volume of people that use the airport today. Also the gate areas look like they will be large and offer people much area to wait when delays happen.

Now the Airport should update the ILS landing system on Runway 6-24 to Cat 2 or Cat. 3 with centerline lights and touchdown zone lights.

With centerline lights in place, aircraft can take off with RVR as low as 600Ft. without the centerline lights RVR must be 1600. This is important in the morning when there are many aircraft wait to take-off.

LongIsland2004, Look at it this way...
You obviously travel out of ISP, so you are familliar with the existing terminal concourse.

In the new building, the holding areas for the gates will be as wide as the current terminal, with additional room for Customers walking. (the width is about 2 1/2 times the current building!!!)

As far as MX goes, it is in the workings. Probably not until 2005/2006 when we have 12+ overnighters.

The chances of the runway being lengthened are virtually nil. It was a major battle taking many years to get the runway lengthened to 7000 feet.

With the new winglets, I wonder how far SWA can fly non-stop from ISP? I would think ISP-PHX non-stop would be possible, at least.

I would think ISP-PHX would be possible today, without winglets, since a few years ago, SWA started PVD-PHX. PVD is 130 Miles further east of ISP, and PVD and ISP have the same runway lengths give or take 150 feet. I would like to see ISP-LAS!

On a related issue, this past March 14, SWA has been at ISP for 5 years. (Service started March 14, 1999.) Usually when SWA achieves a 5-year anniversary at an airport, they issue a press release announcing it. But no such celebratory press release was issued for ISP. Why such a low profile for ISP? Afraid of doing anything that draws attention to themselves that might rile up the NIMBY's that live around the airport? Do they figure they can slowly build up a large presence at ISP without the competition noticing since they're more focused on trying to kill Jetblue? When the new terminal opens, will SWA even announce it?

Anton Airfood awarded contract at MacArthur Airport
Source: Long Island Business News
Publication date: 2004-04-16

Washington-based Anton Airfood has been awarded the food-service contract at Islip MacArthur Airport in a move that will bring in such concepts as TGIFriday's, Maui Tacos and Mama Lombardi's Pizza.
Most of the eateries will be located in a new 50,000-square-foot wing at the terminal, a $42 million expansion being paid for by Southwest Airlines and expected to open in May. Other food outlets will include Ocean Bay Coffee Co., Rapidos, Maggie O'Shea's Irish Pub and an A&W All American Food, according to Mike Jones, Anton's vice president of business development.

Anton is a public/private firm that also operates concessions in 19 airport terminals across the country, including at Washington National Airport where the firm was founded in 1989 by the company's namesake and chairman William Anton. It replaces a firm called CA1, which has operated the Skyway Cafe on the upper level and a snack bar on the main level of MacArthur since 1988.

Jones said his company finalized a long-term contract with the Town of Islip earlier this year, although he declined to discuss its specific terms. He said all of the eateries will be located in the new Southwest Terminal except TGIFriday's, which is scheduled to open in late summer, and the coffee outlet, which will replace the current snack bar.

Of the new food service formats to open at MacArthur, most will be familiar with TGIFriday's, which already has 10 loactions on Long Island, and, obviously, Ocean Bay Coffee will serve coffee and associated foods similar to a Starbuck's. Jones said Rapidos will feature wrapped foods, such as sandwiches, that travelers will be able to grab while on the run. Maggie O'Shea's will serve typical pub fare while A&W, named after the root beer, will serve diner- like favorites such as burgers and fries.

Mama Lombardi's Pizza, the only local food service provider with a location at the airport, will operate a satellite location of the Holbrook-based eatery.

Its great to see the new southwest terminal in the final phase of the construction of the first 4 fours gates. I hope the reconstruction of the old gates 12, 14 and 16 move quickly .

Latest posts