New Isp Terminal Getting Ready.

N735SA said:
You're telling me. It'll be great to finally work in a decent facility, as well as travel through it.
I just spent a night at the hotel in ISP and was able to see the new Terminal on arrival the next day. Any idea when this should be open for business? I look FWD to it! ;)

According to an article in Long Island Business News, the new terminal building will open sometime in May. So it should be just a few weeks away from opening.

I think it is still a sore subject with the neighbors.
It was such a fight to get through all the red tape.
This terminal should have been up and running 4 years ago.
But all the politics got in the way. That's why there is probably
no chance for a runway extension.

But.. on the brighter side, SWA is upgrading the thrust on the -700 series.

If it's true that SWA is increasing the thrust rating on their engines, then maybe a runway extension isn't necessary. For instance, Aloha flies SNA-HNL non-stop and SNA has only a 5,700 ft. runway! So with a higher thrust, plus winglets, SWA should be able to go non-stop to the west coast from ISP I would think. (SNA-HNL maps out to 2,584 miles and ISP-LAX is 2,510 miles.)

Your wish is granted LongIsland...

Aug. 8 --- ISP-LAS
Depart 7:00am, Arrive 9:20am

All of the new deliveries from N454WN and up will have the 24K thrust rating.
The previous -700's will be retrofitted.

This flight will be huge. First, it is the first true long haul in the history of ISP. In the past, the longest regular flight was ISP-DFW operated by AA mainline in the 1980s heydays. Second, LAS is the adult version of Disney World, there is always a convention or vacation that someone is off to. Finally, with LAS Southwest’s big hub of operation, there will better connections for other western cities.

Along with the new terminal, ISP is supposed to be adding about 2,500 new parking spaces. How are those coming along? I haven't been out ISP for a while.

As of Friday, May 28, The new terminal at ISP looks like it is just a few days away from being ready to open from the outside. As for the parking garage, A large area on the side of the entrance road next to the Flight service station was just cleared this week and will most likely be the location for it.

Flew a 700 for the first time a few days ago. All I can say is HOLY COW!!! It is amazing the difference 2000K of thrust can make. And believe it or not we can at some time increase the rating by another 2000K!! Flippin amazing aircraft.

answerman

answerman said:
Flew a 700 for the first time a few days ago. All I can say is HOLY COW!!! It is amazing the difference 2000K of thrust can make. And believe it or not we can at some time increase the rating by another 2000K!! Flippin amazing aircraft.

answerman
Holy Cow is right. I realize that to you, "2000k of thrust" means 2,000 additional pounds of thrust. But some of us read that as 2,000,000 pounds of thrust (2000K = 2,000 x 1,000) - enough to push the Saturn V out of Earth's orbit and to the moon. B)

I'm sure most understood. But my bad. Yes everyone I meant 2000 lbs not 2,000,000 lbs. :blink:

There is not a jet engine in the world that can produce 24,000,000 lbs of thrust or will there be. :eek:

I stand corrected. ;)

answerman

New SWA ISP Terminal should be open on June 13, 2004. Just in time for the flood of golf fans coming in for the US Open that starts the next day. The Parking Garage area is being cleared south of the flight service station.

June 11, 2004: I was just over at ISP to pick up my dad this morning and I don't think the terminal will be opening on Sunday, June 13. First of all, The wall between the existing terminal and the new has not been broken through yet and the cement barrier wall in front of the entrance to the terminal is all still in place. Besides one can see there is piles of crap and junk still littering the interior. O well, we will just have to wait a little longer

Latest posts