New ISP Thread-without the Exclamations

ngneer said:
Art, other than the possible new tower being built that I posted in the other tread, nothing new specifically to ISP. However, SWA has indicated that they're looking into providing assigned seats. (There's a discussion of this in the SWA forum.) If that happens, will you then fly SWA?
Still NO. I don't do cattle class. Period.

Thanks for asking though.

"I don't do cattle class. Period."
Art
I'm just wondering does this mean you only fly 1st Class.

Well, clearly he can't be flying First Class all the time since the props US Airways uses to serve ISP don't offer first class. While I appreciate that he has a very strong loyalty to US Airways and its employees, I can't say that I would be willing to deal with the ongoing disaster that is US's hub at PHL on a frequent basis just to avoid what he calls "cattle class." What exactly does "cattle class" entail,anyhow?

Let me clarify my position.

I am spoiled by US-no waiting on lines, preboarding, preselected seating, and usually not at a premium price.

To wait on a line to check in, then wait again to board like a rush is not for me. I am sure it works for some people, but not for me.

I also make good use of the clubs while traveling. That counts for something.

That's it.

Now if Airtran came to ISP, that would be worth considering.

Art
At SWA you can get your boarding pass from a skycap or the ticket counter, if you don't have bags to check you can also get your boarding pass at the gate or from a kiosk in the terminal. Once you have your boarding pass you only have to wait for your boarding group. There are 4 boarding groups; Pre-board, A, B, & C. Pre-boards are families with a child 5 or under, passengers in a wheelchair, or anyone else who says they need to pre-board due to health (on crutches, bad leg, elderly, ect.). Waiting for group A, B, or C is just like waiting for you row to be called.
SWA is in the process of establishing a system that will allow a passenger to get a boarding pass for a connecting flight when they get their boarding pass for their original flight.
Again I don't see why you call SWA a cattle call. You wait in 1 line for a boarding pass (4 choices of where) just like all airlines. The only difference is at SWA you board with your group, at the others you board when you row is called.

Tanker,

I respect your position in that you likely work for Southwest. There are preferred services and other advantages to me travelling with full service airlines, and therefore I choose not to fly Southwest. Like I said before it's my choice and that's what it is. Please discontinue your sell job.

This thread is about service and changes at ISP, not which airline I choose to fly. I respectfully request we return to that subject.

Best of luck to you.

Art
You were the one to bring up service when you said that SWA would still be a cattle car even with assigned seating. I was just curious as to what your definition of cattle car is. Now I know, it is any airline that doesn't offer in-flight meals & entertzinment. Wait - isn't that what USAir provides out of ISP on their RJs. I guess according to you flying on the RJ is also flying a cattle car.

Art - I have always respected your positions and thoughts that you posted here until now. I agree with you that SWA is not for everyone. But to slam SWA as "cattle class" is showing that you are classless. I do not fly SWA all the time but at least half, and I am not offended by the way they do business. SWA is straight forward and to the point. You know what you are getting in advance. I am only guessing, but do you feel you are above using "cattle class", which is coach just the same as AWA, UA, or even U? I just flew AWA r/t to DEN and you know what I got the way out and back, a bag of peanuts and a Pepsi.

Cool,

I am far from classless. I do know what to expect from SWA in advance, and this is the reason I choose not to fly on them. As I stated before, there is a value to me in the perks of being a preferred traveler. While US only has commuter service from ISP, it is still far from cattle class. I never have to wait on lines, and if there is a problem, it is usually handled BEFORE I get to the airport.

Whether or not SWA offers advanced seat assignments or not, is only part of the equation. Does SW have a dedicated phone line with special agents to work with their top tier of frequent customer? No. Do they have clubs? No. Do they offer preboarding for their best customers? No. And in most cases, these services are offered at little or no premium.

Perhaps you are all taking the term cattle class out of context. Regardless, it is my choice to not fly on SWA, and I really don't have to defend that choice. I respect your right to support them, and you need to respect my right not to.

As I said before, let's return to the topic of this thread, which is the airport ISP itself, NOT SWA vs. other carriers.

My only problem with this thread is I don't see how you can discuss ISP without Southwest being a part of the discussion. The growth of Southwest here has caused each and every other airline to pull back on their service, the most recent of which was DL's pullback to being a Comair only station and, to my great dismay, the reduction in seats by taking most of the CRJ 700's away with the exception of 1 CVG flight. To me anyway, its just a signal that this station doesn't hold much importance to DL, as they have too much in resources at both LGA and JFK. We've seen the same with reductions by AA and obviously the tremendous cuts by Art's US from when they had significant mainline service before the arrival of WN. The bottom line is that Southwest is putting money in, has publicly talked about expansion (service to RIC to begin with) with a large, new modern terminal (at least it looks that way to me from the outside) and unless someone else has the guts to take them on, will continue to offer the most convenient service to a number of cities, especially when you can pick up one stop direct flights to LAX, HOU, PHX, MSY, LAS, etc. Just my piece, but if anyone wants this airport to continue to grow, its in their best interest to continue to support Southwest.

Some new information on ISP from Long Island Business News:

Islip Town Supervisor Pete McGowan said TGIFridays is coming to Islip MacArthur Airport. The restaurant will be at a new food court slated for the existing terminal.

According to McGowan, Southwest Airlines plans to invest $60 million - up from the $40 million planned originally - in the development of a new four-gate terminal at MacArthur airport, scheduled to open by July. That terminal will have a food court of its own.

Also, 2,500 new parking spaces will be added at the airport, said McGowan, who declined to comment on whether other carriers such as JetBlue plan to start flying out of MacArthur.