New LAX/LAS service

Well with AirTran protesting having to pay to retrofit their remaining DC-9s, I doubt they'll want to foot the cost of painting the planes. Ryan International looks their planes are sterile white or basic where it wont matter much.

Good move for AirTran...

AirTran was already gearing up for west coast service long before JetBlue made the announcement to serve ATL-LGB. This was not a reaction to JetBlue. Without going into details, the pilots and company had worked out an agreement to allow this service about month before the JetBlue announcement(the company and pilots had been in discussions for several months before coming to the agreement). Also, the planes will be painted in AirTran colors.

I guess Delta all of the sudden realized that there is a demand for more service to the LA area. How ironic, it only comes several days after AirTran announces service to LAX! They also announced that Song will fly ATL-JFK. I guess Delta wanted to beat JetBlue to that announcement.

Delta adds flights to Los Angeles region

In addition to its New York service, Delta is adding mainline service to the Los Angeles region with five new round trip flights between Atlanta and Los Angeles International Airport, and one additional flight between Atlanta and Ontario, Calif. Delta also will upgrade one current flight between Atlanta and Ontario to a 252-seat Boeing 767 aircraft from a 183-seat Boeing 757 aircraft.

"There is strong passenger demand for our Atlanta-Los Angeles service," said Escarra. "Delta has been reviewing opportunities to add larger aircraft and additional frequencies to the market. We're pleased to offer these flights to our customers as a result."

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/6/2003 12:43:53 AM N464AT wrote:

Does anyone know if Ryan International will paint their aircraft in AirTran colors? If this is a short term agreement I don't think that would be feasable unless AirTran pays for the cost.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I saw a press release stating that the planes would in fact be painted in FL colors. As soon as I find the link I'll post it.

Also, it appears FL plans to use Ryan for a year or so:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/030305/airlines_ai...an_fleet_1.html

"When it announced new West Coast flights from its Atlanta hub this week, AirTran said it would serve Las Vegas and Los Angeles with two Airbus A320 narrow-body jets for one year because its growing fleet of Boeing 717s has insufficient range.

Actually, if you read the article carefully it says that these new LAX/ONT flights will be on the mainline carrier and not Song. It would be hard for DL to change their ATL-LAX service to Song without alienating a large group of their business customers.

Either way, I guess the revenue goes to the same place (DL/Song). I was just noting how they have stepped up the service in obvious retaliation

Its funny... I'll bet DL never expected to get a one-two double whammy from JetBlue AND AirTran! I guess they have to do something... Not sure if 5 new flights is the answer. If I am counting right, DL has 8 flights ATL-LAX now, and will go to 13?

While I like Airtran as an airline I will not even consider them for the new routes simply due to the seating. I hate AWA's A320's which only seat 12 FC and 138 coach. There is no legroom for a person of 6'2" or greater. What is the pitch when you fit in 12 FC and 150 coach? That is 2 more rows than AWA has in coach, OUCH!
JetBlue seats 162 in all coach and it is okay, not the most comfortable, but certainly not like 162 will be in a dual class configuration.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/13/2003 3:22:02 AM coolflyingfool wrote:

While I like Airtran as an airline I will not even consider them for the new routes simply due to the seating. I hate AWA's A320's which only seat 12 FC and 138 coach. There is no legroom for a person of 6'2" or greater. What is the pitch when you fit in 12 FC and 150 coach? That is 2 more rows than AWA has in coach, OUCH!
JetBlue seats 162 in all coach and it is okay, not the most comfortable, but certainly not like 162 will be in a dual class configuration.
----------------
[/blockquote]

You've never flown a charter to LAS, have you? Charters are a big part of the pax base to LAS, and 162 seats in a dual config or more than 162 in all coach isn't unheard of. LAS flyers are probably the most price sensitive, because they'd rather do other things with their money. Personally, I'd rather pay a little more and have some room, and spend more on a nice hotel while in Vegas. But A LOT of people who go out there want cheap flights, and a cheap room at the Sahara or Westward Ho. I'm glad FL thinks they can make money flying these folks to LAS.

It's possible, though completely speculation on my part, that due to the a/c configuration they may not be taking away from the legroom to accomodate these extra passengers. Because this is a charter aircraft and there will no hot meal service, much of a typical galley is not required for these flights. Maybe they have reduced galley space to accomodate extra seats.

Ryan''s current A320 charter customers are Apple Vacations and Funjet. Both serve hot meals on the flights. Even if this new contract doesn''t require hot meals, the location and setup of the A320 galley has no impact on the available space for seats. One thing that has been removed from all these charter A320s is the forward coat closet and crew baggage locker. Ryan''s current configuration is usually 174 coach seats.

----------------
On 3/13/2003 1:48:04 PM Cart Pusher wrote:

It''s possible, though completely speculation on my part, that due to the a/c configuration they may not be taking away from the legroom to accomodate these extra passengers. Because this is a charter aircraft and there will no hot meal service, much of a typical galley is not required for these flights. Maybe they have reduced galley space to accomodate extra seats.

----------------​