New Routes To Europe

dash8roa

Senior
Oct 25, 2003
I hope new management will stop chasing the northeast to florida crowd with the $49.00 fares and add routes to europe.I see where the bcn & vce flights do well.At this time there is no lcc with routes to europe but i am sure in 3-4 years this will not be the case. I think the key is to seek underserved markets and i feel there are still some remaining and some are emerging as desired destinations. The following are what i feel would do well: Athens,Prague,Belgrad,Budapest,Nice and Naples.There seems to be available 767-200's on the used market.
The florida market is overserved with plenty of cheap seats and looking to increase florida market share is a waste of resources. Just my thoughts.

you really should title your topics a little better. i thought that airways was starting new routes to europe. got me all excited for nothing. lol

etops1 said:
you really should title your topics a little better. i thought that airways was starting new routes to europe. got me all excited for nothing. lol
[post="304362"][/post]​

Sorry for that.

dash8roa said:
I hope new management will stop chasing the northeast to florida crowd with the $49.00 fares and add routes to europe.I see where the bcn & vce flights do well.At this time there is no lcc with routes to europe but i am sure in 3-4 years this will not be the case. I think the key is to seek underserved markets and i feel there are still some remaining and some are emerging as desired destinations. The following are what i feel would do well: Athens,Prague,Belgrad,Budapest,Nice and Naples.There seems to be available 767-200's on the used market.
The florida market is overserved with plenty of cheap seats and looking to increase florida market share is a waste of resources. Just my thoughts.
[post="304355"][/post]​

This is true they should expand international - asia south america etc. If they don't they will lose out once again - The domestic market isn't the money maker. There is a new low cost carrier that will be doing only international service out of JFK And DULLES and they will offer premium service with all seats that are three quarter beds. MaxJet will be the firt international low cost carrier with premium service. If we don't expand internationally we will not do to well in my opinion.. It is what keeps continental and american going. There are signs everywhere in new york for continental about their international service. Nothing is stated about domestic... They have worked out a deal with dry cleaners, when you pick up your dry cleaning it comes with a plastic CAL bag over it talking about international... SMART!!! We have 0 advertisemement of course that doesn't surprise me. train stations wverywhere is covered with advertising from airlines but 0 USAIRWAYS!! We need more wide bodies to do more International and your right our service sucks - plastic in first!! get real - Hopefully management will turn some of this around out in phoenix or tempe should i say!! Good luck but making money on domestic isn't going to happen!~!

dash8roa said:
I think the key is to seek underserved markets and i feel there are still some remaining and some are emerging as desired destinations. The following are what i feel would do well: Athens,Prague,Belgrad,Budapest,Nice and Naples.
[post="304355"][/post]​

Athens, Prague, Budapest, Nice = aren't they all nice tourist markets? So instead of chasing the $49 fare seekers to Florida, US should be chasing the $399 fare seekers to Europe?
Belgrade? Why?

While Olympic and Malev aren't exactly great competitors, I think it is better to serve the above-mentioned cities via * alliance codeshare (on LH via FRA or MUC for example). Prague would be nice, but do not underestimate OK (Czech Airlines) - they are one of the few airlines from communist east Europe that has transformed itself to do quite well in the west/capitalist/free market. The PRG hub is being built up quite nicely, they already serve YYZ, YUL, and JFK (and Newark I believe). Once they get additonal widebodies look for them to add more north american destinations.

US Airways is evaluating new routes to Europe, although it's unclear how Scott Kirby and his team will proceed.

US Airways does not have the equipment to expand to Europe and the 40 A330/A350 deliveries (30)/options (10) do not begin to arrive until 2008.

Management has evaluated obtaining B767-200s on the cheap, which provide better economics than the B757 in long-thin transatlantic markets. With GECAS, ILF, & other companies forcing a systematic liquidation of U.S. legacy airline flying, US Airways may be in position to obtain some used aircraft to expand across the Atlantic Ocean.

Meanwhile, BOS station personnel reported Doug Parker was in BOS this week meeting with potential lenders to obtain additional liquidity. It's unclear why US Airways keeps busilding its cash position, but potential options include general corporate purposes or a corproate transaction.

I believe it is important to note that America West ALPA MEC chairman JR Baker recently sent a letter to all America West pilots. Baker said, "Last week (at the joint US Airways-America West MEC meeting), we received two very enlightening presentations from our hired industry experts. Our investment bankers and ALPA financial analysts talked about the strengths and weaknesses of the merger with AAA and the status of the industry overall. This was followed by a presentation from our merger attorney and his industry analyst who reviewed the industry from a merger perspective. Needless to say, things remain chaotic for the domestic airlines financially, and we should expect more consolidation as a result of the expected bankruptcy filings from other U.S. carriers."

"In other words, there is a real likelihood that as America West (soon to be US Airways) pilots, must be prepared and ready to fight a second merger or fragmentation on the heels of this pending merger," he said.

Separately, I understand that American Airlines will announce plans to pull out of Pittsburgh in December, leaving its flights to its subsidiary, American Eagle and their RJs. This move is similar to US Airways "Expressing" its mainline stations.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

You know, AWA pilots never used to post internal stuff and letters from their ALPA Council. I bet they are sure glad to have you around to air their business.

USA320Pilot said:
US Airways is evaluating new routes to Europe, although it's unclear how Scott Kirby and his team will proceed.

US Airways does not have the equipment to expand to Europe and the 40 A330/A350 deliveries (30)/options (10) do not begin to arrive until 2008.

Management has evaluated obtaining B767-200s on the cheap, which provide better economics than the B757 in long-thin transatlantic markets. With GECAS, ILF, & other companies forcing a systematic liquidation of U.S. legacy airline flying, US Airways may be in position to obtain some used aircraft to expand across the Atlantic Ocean.

Meanwhile, BOS station personnel reported Doug Parker was in BOS this week meeting with potential lenders to obtain additional liquidity. It's unclear why US Airways keeps busilding its cash position, but potential options include general corporate purposes or a corproate transaction.

I believe it is important to note that America West ALPA MEC chairman JR Baker recently sent a letter to all America West pilots. Baker said, "Last week (at the joint US Airways-America West MEC meeting), we received two very enlightening presentations from our hired industry experts. Our investment bankers and ALPA financial analysts talked about the strengths and weaknesses of the merger with AAA and the status of the industry overall. This was followed by a presentation from our merger attorney and his industry analyst who reviewed the industry from a merger perspective. Needless to say, things remain chaotic for the domestic airlines financially, and we should expect more consolidation as a result of the expected bankruptcy filings from other U.S. carriers."

"In other words, there is a real likelihood that as America West (soon to be US Airways) pilots, must be prepared and ready to fight a second merger or fragmentation on the heels of this pending merger," he said.

Separately, I understand that American Airlines will announce plans to pull out of Pittsburgh in December, leaving its flights to its subsidiary, American Eagle and their RJs. This move is similar to US Airways "Expressing" its mainline stations.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="304448"][/post]​

How available is the 767-200ER on the market right now? I understand Delta is retiring the the type but they seem to be the standard 200 not the ER version.
I also maintain that PHX could be the focal point of some limited euro expansion to LGW and FRA. It has been announced that the BA codeshare is history and since LH is an alliance partner they would share the risk on the FRA route as a joint venture. An Outlandish conjecture?
The ALPA transitional agreement would permit this service given the equipment availibility.

Continental loves the 757 for transAtlantic work, and has moved a ton of 757-200s out of its domestic system into the international system. Today it announced year-round Newark to Barcelona service, also with the 757. CO was also the launch customer for the Aviation Partners Boeing 757 blended winglet retrofit, which AMR has recently picked up as well (leading to the obvious question of whether AMR will do more transAtlantic 757 flying---it runs a flight from Boston at the moment).

The new US Airways has a lot of Rolls powered 757s, at least some of which would be suitable for ETOPS. Add the new 757 blended winglets and there are a lot of secondary destinations that would be feasible from PHL with the 757. PHL will never be as good a gateway as EWR, but it ought to be able to support quite a bit more Intl service than it does, especially with a smaller gauge aircraft like the 757.

http://www.aviationpartnersboeing.com/main.htm

dash8roa said:
I hope new management will stop chasing the northeast to florida crowd with the $49.00 fares...

... The florida market is overserved with plenty of cheap seats and looking to increase florida market share is a waste of resources. Just my thoughts.
[post="304355"][/post]​

US Airways doesn't fly from the northeast to Florida.

They fly from the northeast to Philadelphia. Then they fly from Philadelphia to Florida.

USA320Pilot said:

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="304448"][/post]​
If it waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck, and has webbed feet, then it must be a UCT/ICT.

mdarules said:
...There is a new low cost carrier that will be doing only international service out of JFK And DULLES and they will offer premium service with all seats that are three quarter beds. MaxJet will be the firt international low cost carrier with premium service. If we don't expand internationally we will not do to well in my opinion.. ..
[post="304370"][/post]​

I doubt "premium LCC" service to Europe will work. Many failed attempts have been made over the years to start all-first-class-at-coach-prices service on JFK-LAX transcons. MGM Grand comes to mind first, and they didn't last any longer than others who tried it. JFK-Europe would really be no different, IMO.

I do agree that expansion of international service is a must. Getting name recognition as an international carrier is important to tap foreign customers. Delta found that out the hard way when they bought PanAm's European operation and changed the name to Delta overnight. The response in Europe: Who's Delta?

Latest posts