New Us Nonstops After Merger

BuffaloJoe

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Is there any plans on new non stops from PHL or CLT to existing HP cities such as
YVR
PDX
SNA
SJC
SLC
SMF

I know US currently flies
LAS
SAN
PHX
LAX
SFO
DEN
SEA

With the pull-down in transcon flying and the drastic reduction in fleet size (transcons will eat up a plane for most of the day), I don't see any significant expansion to those markets.

I think PDX has the best shot, at 1x or 2x daily from PHL, perhaps a redeye and a flight to connect with the European bank. SNA has been done before, and could work, but there are slot issues there. YVR could work seasonally, but it uses too much airplane for this small fleet; a weekend flight would work I think. SJC/SLC/SMF I think are all too thin to work from PHL. I think they're all too thin to work from CLT seeing as how HP wants to focus the CLT transcons on O&D only, even slashing service to SEA and SAN.

Now where I think US will be seeing lots of new service is in midwest markets that can be reached by the new CRJ-900s coming over from Mesa, or other RJs already on the property. Markets like OMA, AUS, SAT. I could see OMA at 1x daily to PHL and 2x to CLT, AUS and SAT at 2x to CLT each.

The way it has been explained to me is as follows: If you lived in Dallas and wanted to fly to the west coast, you never considered U; flying way east to go west. After the merger you can. DFW-PHX to your destination. (The same could apply to pax wanting to go CLT to destination one week and PHX or LAS to destination the following week. It could all be done on UAIRWAYS and not just AA or DAL.)

So, it is not really the non-stops we are after, but the mid-continent pax who never considered us in the past ... and their membership into the frequent flyer program. So an ALPA officer in the "know" says Parker has explained things to him.

ringmaruf said:
I think they're all too thin to work from CLT seeing as how HP wants to focus the CLT transcons on O&D only, even slashing service to SEA and SAN.
[post="288861"][/post]​

If that's the case, CLT should be even thinner than PIT on transcon service. Don't see it happening.

Perhaps we will see more flights from Phoenix and Las Vegas flying to midwest destinations continuing eastward to hubs in CLT, PHL and PIT. For example, from the PHX hub a flight goes to Austin or San Antonio, then continues on as a through flight to CLT and vice versa. This could open up several midwest cities that are currently served from our PHX hub to have both West and East options.

Back in the 80s when I was flying for American, they had several "through flight" options between ORD and DFW, ie. ORD-MCI-DFW or ORD-OKC-DFW. All of these in addition to their nonstops between the two hubs. Those 1 stop flights were great for non-rev backups when the nonstops were too full to standby on.

I do agree that there are some cities on the West Coast that could use nonstops to the Eastern hubs of PHL or CLT. Portland and Vancouver, BC (seasonal) come to mind. We pack our planes to YVR in the summertime during Alaska Cruise season.

Even with the reduction in fleets, with creative aircraft utilization I think that there are possibilities in linking our networks and providing "one-sided" cities with service to both coasts.

N903AW said:
Even with the reduction in fleets, with creative aircraft utilization I think that there are possibilities .....
[post="289162"][/post]​

Well, just as recently as a few months ago U was parking overnighters as early as 8pm and having originators not leave until 10am. Talk about not using your fleet. With the added ability to offer redeyes from PHX and LAS to new "US" cities in the East that HP currently doesnt serve, we might see some added linkage to the system in addition to eventually taking some of the US N/S terminating flights and HP terminating E/W flights and linking them together to better utilize them for the overall scheduling of systemwide flights. You wouldnt have to add any planes to get some more flying in.
ie- CLT 735pm
GSO 823pm (at US might terminate)
added
GSO 910pm
LAS 1056pm
LAS 1150pm
GSO 657am
GSO 755am (current originator at US)
CLT 842 am

You just added a GSO-LAS roundtrip with a plane that would otherwise sit in GSO all night. You've added it to a hub that is used to a late night bank (Late conx from GSO to the West Coast not offered via CLT/PHL) and also redeye conx back to GSO from a lot of city pairs not currently offered.
Now add this possibility from any number of US cities in the East that can handle LAS local AND West Coast conx traffic and you've just increased overall asset usage that the current US N/S network cant handle.

From what I was told, a PVD-PHX flight should be added in first "wave" of the combined carrier's schedule changes..