New Routes

I thought that the first thing that LCC did after the merger was to cut back significantly on transcons, which were losing large amounts of money. So why on earth would LCC start up a bunch of marginal long distance routes? I would be shocked to see this kind of move.

I have posted this before and I will post it again; Mainline east went from 287 aircraft to 220 aircraft(20 aircraft yet to be parked)
Dec 2005 enplanements for mainline east decreased by 602,935. Tag an average fare of say $200.00 to this number and explain to me where we are heading.For the fourth quarter the enplanements for the mainline decreased 1,639,113; again a fare of say $200.00. Mr. Parker claims that we saved $200 mil in lease payments but look at the loss of revenue for one q

for one quarter. Outsourcing and down sizing has not worked for the past 12 years and it isn't working now.

US can't shrink to profitability....isn't that what Mr. Wolf said back in the day? I love when you read that passengers loads are down and revenue is down...well DUHHHH. :blink:

BUF-PHX would surprise me as SW already has this route. Why pick out a route to go head-to-head when there are so many markets similar to BUF that don't have direct competition?
Just about anything we start to PHX or LAS will be in competition with SW unless it isnt out of one of their cities. Seems those are two of the prime cities they intoduce service to out of a new city. I'm SURE if they start CLT sevice, it will be there in addition to MCO.

Just about anything we start to PHX or LAS will be in competition with SW unless it isnt out of one of their cities. Seems those are two of the prime cities they intoduce service to out of a new city. I'm SURE if they start CLT sevice, it will be there in addition to MCO.

If they start CLT service, it'll be PHL, MDW, PVD/MHT, MCO. Then LAS/PHX. Fact is that with the US gouge on the former markets, it represents a bigger opportunity for LUV (why do you think they opened with PHL and MDW at PIT?).

US can't shrink to profitability....isn't that what Mr. Wolf said back in the day? I love when you read that passengers loads are down and revenue is down...well DUHHHH. :blink:
And some would question a vote of NO CONFIDENCE? SHOW ME....and let the numbers speak for themselves. Talk about "up a creek without a paddle"......are they even in a F'n boat! :lol:

Let me try to explain this to all you with blinders on.

This company is going to outsource as much flying as possible to RJ's. They are not interested in becoming another Southwest. Notice SWA reported yet another year of profit as well as aggresive expanion with LARGE JETS to drive down their CASM cost. We are doing the opposite.

This airline will continue to shrink as more and more large jets are replaced with RJ's. The RJ's will feed mainline long haul and high density markets and handle the vast bulk of the short hauling. And long haul is not CLT-PHX. The only new jets you will see will be a smattering of Europe/Hawaii capable planes for the long haul work. This isn't going to be an LCC. It's going to be a hybrid utilizing as much outside lift, maintenance, and contract empolyees as possible.

New routes are not truly new when the jets that fly them are pulled from mainline as the RJ's fly our former routes (ie CLT-PHX). They are redeploying our lift as well as eliminating a substantial portion of it. Along with the employees needed to support those planes.

Wake up people. You are seeing the systematic dismantling of the USAirways and America West route structure as it is turned over to Mesa and everyone else. Just look at C concourse in CLT if you don't believe me.

pilot
It happened in PIT and it's coming to a city near you, maybe yours in fact.
Just wait until you see more and more high school kids maiking $6.77 an hour working your (ex) flights and doing your (old) job. want to talk about frustrating.

Pilot is absolutly right. If this management was interested in making this company profitable we would be replacing RJ's with mainline flts with less frequencies.

How many 50 and 70 seat rj's does Southwest, Jet-Blue and Airtran have, think about it. :shock:

This company is going to outsource as much flying as possible to RJ's. They are not interested in becoming another Southwest. Notice SWA reported yet another year of profit as well as aggresive expanion with LARGE JETS to drive down their CASM cost. We are doing the opposite.

This airline will continue to shrink as more and more large jets are replaced with RJ's. The RJ's will feed mainline long haul and high density markets and handle the vast bulk of the short hauling. And long haul is not CLT-PHX. The only new jets you will see will be a smattering of Europe/Hawaii capable planes for the long haul work. This isn't going to be an LCC. It's going to be a hybrid utilizing as much outside lift, maintenance, and contract empolyees as possible.

New routes are not truly new when the jets that fly them are pulled from mainline as the RJ's fly our former routes (ie CLT-PHX). They are redeploying our lift as well as eliminating a substantial portion of it. Along with the employees needed to support those planes.

Wake up people. You are seeing the systematic dismantling of the USAirways and America West route structure as it is turned over to Mesa and everyone else. Just look at C concourse in CLT if you don't believe me.

pilot
AND IT WAS THE PILOTS(ALPA) THAT LET IT HAPPEN

pilot

Pilot, you are exactly right on target. All of us are wringing our hands over how seniority integration and new contracts will affect us. It's all meaningless in the long run. USAirways will soon (within 4 - 5 years) be almost entirely a "virtual" airline. Parker has already told the industry that he anticipates no mainline expansion for the first two years of combined operations. That's not "handwriting on the wall." It's spraypainting on the wall, yet few noticed when he said that last September.

And the multiple lawsuits against the actions of ALPA (particularly those of the moron-majority on the USAirways [East] MEC) will ultimately see ALPA paying the price by its demise. The lawsuits will bankrupt the union once these lawsuits finally make it into a courtroom. I, for one, will be gratified to see it happen.

Not this pilot john. I have worked my butt off trying to get the frightened majority to understand the degradation of this profession. The management experts are attempting to redefine our profession as just another job. And with great success I might add. All because ALPA does not have the balls to stick up for the profession and just say no. From ALPA national and Duane Woerth (who just got a substantial raise to 400G's plus) to the CLT and BOS based cowards having a "job" is more important than standing tall for a once proud profession.

The US Airways pilots allowed the downward spiral to start and it continues as I type this post.

I'll say this again: If LUV can pay its guys 190 bucks an hour and be consistently profitable the problem is not pilot pay or work rules. The problem lies in mismanagement at the top and the members of ALPA are not man enough to call it like it is.

pilot

How about adding flights to tie in the the new west coast cities with the east coast hubs? How about tieing some east coast cities in with the hubs in PHX and LAS?

How about adding flights to tie in the the new west coast cities with the east coast hubs? How about tieing some east coast cities in with the hubs in PHX and LAS?

Not a bad idea.

CLT/PHL
SAT-AUS-OKC-ABQ

PHX/LAS
BUF-SDF-BNA-JAX-RSW

These are just hypothetical, what I would do first.

isnt Vancouver a city in the combined network? Tie it in with the PHL and CLT hubs. ANC could have seasonal service to PHL and CLT. Look into HNL to PHL and CLT. This marriage has a better shot at working by tieing in all possible routes and dominating your hubs and routes into and out of your hub cities. Where there is a will, there is a way. LAS to LGW. PHW to LGW and FRA. OOpps those would require an investment in widebody aircraft.