Next Executive Succession Plan

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
It has become clear that the move to replace Dave Siegel with Bruce Lakefield was designed to break the logjam between the unions and the company so management could implement the "Going Forward Plan."

I believe Lakefield's appointment is appropriate and he is a perfect candidate for crisis management.

However, longer-term the company needs a chief executive with airline industry background and another name that has surfaced as a possible follow on CEO is Gordon Bethune, who retires from CO later this year.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Gordo might still be pissed after his initial departure from what is now US. Plus, he's getting old and is already rich. The other problem is that Gordo still seems to think that the legacy carriers can charge whatever they want--he's never had an LCC fight like US has to deal with.

I like the idea of keeping Lakefield and bringing in Greg Brenneman into the President/COO position. Brenneman is largely responsible for CO's actual turnaround. And, he actually left the proverbial "cheese on the pizza" from a cusomter standpoint (leaving it to Gordo to take it off).

Bethune would be an awesome CEO, but I seriously doubt that will happen. I think Bronner is more interested in making money than rebuilding the airline. Bethune does have ties to the East Coast and to the company, in a round about way, as he used to work for Piedmont Airlines in the 80's. He worked at Piedmont during its Heyday, before Useless Air came in and f@#ed it up! I would love to see him takeover, but like I said before, I wouldn't hold my breath. BTW, anyone know hold old Bethune is now?

Regards

Clue:

I understand there has been behind-the-scenes contact already made with Brenneman. It's unclear how this will turn out, but it appears that Lakefield is the "crisis manager" and the company is looking for a future successor who could rally the troops. I believe either Bethune or Brenneman who be a good choice.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

GeezLouis:

Gordon Bethune is 62 years old. That's two years older than Lakefield.

Will Bethune come? If the money is right, I believe he would.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
GeezLouis:

Gordon Bethune is 62 years old. That's two years older than Lakefield.

Will Bethune come? If the money is right, I believe he would.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
Isn't some sort of non-competition clause normal with these guy's contracts...at least short term?

A320 Driver B)

I HIGHLY doubt that Bethune would come over to US - recall that CO had a fairly junior, largely nonunion, lower-cost labor structure at the time of his arrival, not to mention the fact that EWR, IAH, and CLE had ample customer demand to permit substantial growth. US' situation is the exact opposite - a company with high-cost, senior, and largely unionized employees has hubs in mature (and in the case of PIT, arguably declining) markets.

Wonderful! The barbarians are at your gate and you're speculating on a new chef!

IF you guys live long enough the best you could hope for would be a Leo Mullin-type person -- some unaware soul from the outside.

Nobody respected in the industry will go with you, especially with Rono lurking behind the curtain.

whatkindoffreshhell said:
Wonderful! The barbarians are at your gate and you're speculating on a new chef!

IF you guys live long enough the best you could hope for would be a Leo Mullin-type person -- some unaware soul from the outside.

Nobody respected in the industry will go with you, especially with Rono lurking behind the curtain.
Such a pleasant reply :)

Latest posts

Back