Non-rev Travel

Trin03

Advanced
Nov 3, 2003
I called Employee travel to get some information and was told that my travel benefits had been suspended. I found it odd since the travel line allowed me na dmy family to list for flights for a upcomming trip. When I questioned the rep at the the coporate travel line, I was told that it was best to buy a ticket and they would have an answer by the end of the week.

Has anyone else had any trouble? Not trying to start rumours. But Corporate can be so secretive and no one could provid eme with an answer.

Three month after you are furloughed your airline code changes from US to MI. This information was buried in some letter a couple of years ago. Countless people have thought thier travel was gone when its really not.

As I understand it the computer shows you as an employee of "MI" rather than an employee of "US" so your boarding priority changes. Active Group employees go before inactive Group employees, followed by affiliates. There are different codes for it. Maybe the rep was trying to find you under US?

If thats not whats wrong then I would get on the horn to CCY and a supervisor in your department immediatly.

Thanks Light Years! I knew I would get good info from someone like you! :p

It's unfortuntate but CCY is as secretive as big brother in 1984 and they keep information closed up tight better than the CIA!

It is sad that many up there refuse to see us all as one big family that needs to try to help each other instead of doing all they can to hurt and confuse.

I will be calling a supervisor immediately! Thanks again

If you PM me with your info I'll be glad to look it up before I start at work. More than likely your status converted to MI. Unfortunately a lot of agents don't realize this until after you hang up. Just provide emp nbr (express carrier if it applies and I'll try to find you). Worst case scenario, someone screwed up and it's easily fixed. The problem is finding someone to fix it.

Trin,

I haven't flown stand-by in nearly 2 years, so I didn't know if things had changed or not. But what Light Years said is exactly what happened to me. I gave my emplolyee number with the "US", and was told my benefits were suspended. I talked to someone in CCY about this, and they informed me about the "MI" change. Everything went well after that.

It's really a shame, because I know alot of people who think that their travel benefits were completely gone since they were furloughed, when they really weren't.

But aren't we insane for expecting anything less confusing or secretive?

BA

How do the agents inform the travel dep't if someone misbehaves to get their priviliges suspened? Heard nasty stories about employees actually being fired for someones behavior while traveling under their employee number...

How are our troops being treated while they are away from US? With smaller planes, more people traveling, it's really hard to get out sometimes to go somewhere! :(

I agree with you guys. Finally, it did get all straightened out and you know what? It had to do with the Contract not being read correctly for the extended benefits!

What can I say? Thanks for all with their support in what to do and say!

Perhaps this board/thread will encourage more furloughed employees to try to take at least 1 trip. After all... it's not like we are Board members putting out paying passengers! :rolleyes:

night_ice said:
How do the agents inform the travel dep't if someone misbehaves to get their priviliges suspened? Heard nasty stories about employees actually being fired for someones behavior while traveling under their employee number...

How are our troops being treated while they are away from US? With smaller planes, more people traveling, it's really hard to get out sometimes to go somewhere! :(
More than likely those stories are true. I have some pretty good ones myself. We report it to a sup in my dept and the rest is handled accordingly. The worst culprits are the people on buddy passes. Be careful of who you give one to.

For all you on furlough I will try and give you some more info for travel. The biggest problem we are having is people not being ticketed. If you are on furlough you must have a paper ticket not and e-ticket. Same goes for eveyone on your on your pass account. It is also up to the the furloughed employee to make sure anyone traveling has everything they need. Do not send some one other than yourself with ID to get tickets. This is due to the fact that you do not have an active company ID. And also to protect you from any using you pass rights. I have heard of people on furlough not getting on flights because they or their family members did not have paper tickets. The so called letter some one elso mentioned from a couple of years ago did exist. Your status was changed from US to MI. This has caused confusion for both those on furlough and the agents if you did not see the letter. Also once you are tickted and list on a flight you should be able to check-in at the kiosk.

night_ice said:
Hopefully the benefits will be around as long as employees are on furlough...however long that will take with only a few years seniority! :unsure:
That won't happen for CWA forloughs - from what I have been told, we have only 3 years of travel benefits which will end this Oct. for most and the recall rights go for another year. I was told this is for involuntary forlough and that it was even less for voluntary forloughs.

atoguy said:
For all you on furlough I will try and give you some more info for travel. The biggest problem we are having is people not being ticketed. If you are on furlough you must have a paper ticket not and e-ticket. Same goes for eveyone on your on your pass account. It is also up to the the furloughed employee to make sure anyone traveling has everything they need. Do not send some one other than yourself with ID to get tickets. This is due to the fact that you do not have an active company ID. And also to protect you from any using you pass rights. I have heard of people on furlough not getting on flights because they or their family members did not have paper tickets. The so called letter some one elso mentioned from a couple of years ago did exist. Your status was changed from US to MI. This has caused confusion for both those on furlough and the agents if you did not see the letter. Also once you are tickted and list on a flight you should be able to check-in at the kiosk.
ato guy,

Thanks for the info. We had been traveling for, God knows how long ,on electronic tickets... and suddenly one day in Clt a agent tells my spouse that a paper ticket was needed. To say the least we were both blown away, because we had never been asked that before.

We tried to explain that at the originating point we were not given papertickets and had never known the need to have them before...... but unfortunately out of 3 agents at that gate, not one took the opportunity or cared to explain why a paper ticket was needed, instead they kept witching about needing the ticket.

I think it is relaly important for all ato agents to relaize that when we are furloughed, we do not always get updated information and sometimes it only takes a minute or two to explain why.

When I was an active agent, I never treated non-revs badly. But then again, I don't believe in treating any person badly. Just my way I guess.

So I thank you for any information you give to us! And any other persons that have info, please pass along, many are thankful for it....

Hey Light Years true statement! Flight benefits could be gone in a "twinkling of an eye!!!!"

Trin03......You are very welcome...And to anyone else who it may have helped. Feel free to PM me anytime you may have a question and I'll do my best to answer it for you.