Nonstop from PHX to LGA on Jan. 15th

Technically this is not non-stop service because it's not a scheduled part 135 flight but a chartered flight for the Tempe brain trust and the Crisis Management Team as well. (Check for a PIT-LGA charter as well since the OCC people need to be in LGA as well).

This was not a Charter just for Doug Parker, but also included the Go Team and Care Team to get them to the scene of the crash. Probably carried about 100 plus people....

There were 36 passengers plus crew on that extra section from PHX to LGA.
This was probably the quickest way to get everyone to NYC. they may not have had another aircraft type and crew available as quickly as needed.

Dorf

Technically this is not non-stop service because it's not a scheduled part 135 flight but a chartered flight for the Tempe brain trust and the Crisis Management Team as well. (Check for a PIT-LGA charter as well since the OCC people need to be in LGA as well).

Hi Intern -

Learn the differences between FAR 135, FAR 121, and FAR 91.

135 has NO BEARING on what USAirways does. Ever. USAirways holds an FAR 121 certificate, not a 135.

Since the aircraft probably had no revenue on board, it could have been dispatched under FAR 91 (more lenient,) but its doubtful. For a company that does Part 121 day in and day out, its just as easy to send it under those rules.

I'm pretty sure it was operated as a Part 121 flight. It was staffed with Flight Attendants from the "Hot" Room to take them to New York. If it had operated as a Part 91 (essentially a non-revenue ferry flight), a cabin crew would not have been required. Per FAR 91.519, the Pilot-in-Command can provide an oral safety briefing to each passenger onboard in lieu of a Flight Attendant.

I'm assuming the port authority waived the perimeter rule for them if they operated it part 121?

Doesn't the perimiter rule only apply to flights departing from LaGuardia? It seems I recall a few years ago when ATA operated a 757 nonstop from LAX to LaGuardia, but did not offer the same the other direction due to the restriction.

You're correct. Except on Saturdays! I just spoke with a friend who worked for ATA and the Perimiter Rules were not in effect on Saturday (weird!). She said that ATA did operate a once-a-week nonstop transcon from LaGuardia on Saturdays only. Because the flight operated only once a week, on a day when demand was low, the route was very short-lived.

Could this be correct?

Is the perimeter rule in effect for charter flights? Either the flight operated as a charter and the normal perimeter rule did not apply, or it was waived under the circumstances.

Is the perimeter rule in effect for charter flights?

Not sure if it is waived for all charter flights but I have seen dozens of Sports Charters depart LGA over the years for the west coast, often the Yankee's, Met's or their oponents, and usally on a 757.

Regards

LGA777

Latest posts

Back