Northerners are more racist than Southerners

Glenn Quagmire said:
I had some friends who are involved in reenactments. They are history buffs, and not the least bit racist. Most are apolitical.
Great movies are made about all the wars. Reenacting history is a way of not forgetting it and learning from it.
Fair point. How ever when the reenactments are placed along side all the memorials for Southerners who were staunch segregationist, folks who do not see the association of the confederate flag and oppression as well as other pre-civil war things I think the reenactments tend to take on a different meaning. Not to mention that a majority of hate groups are based in the south.

Reactions: 1 person
is this what you see when you close your eyes Ms Tree?

a92d359c-da86-4c44-9df4-8cefafbb1163.jpg

Or maybe this
7171d1224277732-general-lee-transformer-toy-real-transformers-general-lee.jpg

Never meanin' no harm.

Glenn Quagmire said:
I had some friends who are involved in reenactments. They are history buffs, and not the least bit racist. Most are apolitical.

Great movies are made about all the wars. Reenacting history is a way of not forgetting it and learning from it.
+1

Glenn Quagmire said:

I did a reenactment once, didn't know it till I came home... :p

Sheesh, you'd think that all the white people in the South supported slavery back in the 1860's, and were living in plantations like Tara.

The fact is that only 6% of the population owned slaves, and that 6% isn't who fought and died on the battlefields.

Some like to make it all about slavery, but forget that support of state sovereignty was as important if not moreso to the general public. There's lots of documentation to the fact that many of those in the South who volunteered did so primarily to defend their homesteads from the Northern invaders, and really had no strong feeling either way regarding slavery.

I suspect much of the bitterness the South has towards the North came from the Union Army's scorched earth tactics, and how reconstruction was handled.

eolesen said:
Sheesh, you'd think that all the white people in the South supported slavery back in the 1860's, and were living in plantations like Tara.

The fact is that only 6% of the population owned slaves, and that 6% isn't who fought and died on the battlefields.

Some like to make it all about slavery, but forget that support of state sovereignty was as important if not moreso to the general public. There's lots of documentation to the fact that many of those in the South who volunteered did so primarily to defend their homesteads from the Northern invaders, and really had no strong feeling either way regarding slavery.

I suspect much of the bitterness the South has towards the North came from the Union Army's scorched earth tactics, and how reconstruction was handled.

But lets not kid ourselves, slavery was the flash point.

eolesen said:
Telling us what those who've lived in the south already know...

http://news.yahoo.com/clarence-thomas-on-race-194104252.html

And here's one example: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/ryan-winkler-uncle-thomas_n_3497973.html

I also find it no coincidence that the likes of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are Northerners. You don't see these types of activists in the South. Maybe it's because there's less of a need?...

I wonder if Mr. Thomas has ever driven through Northern Arkansas.

777 fixer said:
I wonder if Mr. Thomas has ever driven through Northern Arkansas.
Quite possible -- he and his wife own a motorhome and enjoy road trips (http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/08/05/on-the-road-again-with-clarence-and-ginny/). They've been to 27 states, so there's a >55% chance (unless you use Obameography, and then it is 48%...), and have been known to stop in a Walmart parking lot overnight (perfectly legal and actually encouraged at the corporate level, since the average RV who stop overnight spends ~$50 in groceries or supplies during their stop).

Thomas grew up in Georgia, and went to school in both Missouri and Massachusetts, and spent his early career back in Missouri before moving to DC in the 80's and he chaired the EEOC for 8 years.

I think he's probably been exposed to more opportunity to experience, observe and act on racism than a suburban Dallas liberal who is obviously suffering from a terminal case of white male guilt.

eolesen said:
Quite possible -- he and his wife own a motorhome and enjoy road trips (http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/08/05/on-the-road-again-with-clarence-and-ginny/). They've been to 27 states, so there's a >55% chance (unless you use Obameography, and then it is 48%...), and have been known to stop in a Walmart parking lot overnight (perfectly legal and actually encouraged at the corporate level, since the average RV who stop overnight spends ~$50 in groceries or supplies during their stop).Thomas grew up in Georgia, and went to school in both Missouri and Massachusetts, and spent his early career back in Missouri before moving to DC in the 80's and he chaired the EEOC for 8 years.I think he's probably been exposed to more opportunity to experience, observe and act on racism than a suburban Dallas liberal who is obviously suffering from a terminal case of white male guilt.
Glad to know we can apply the experience of Mr. Thomas to all people across the board. Would you like to tell the family of James Byrd the good nes or shall I?

White guilt ... White ignorance .... Tomato .... Tomahto.

Reactions: 1 person
eolesen said:
Quite possible -- he and his wife own a motorhome and enjoy road trips (http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/08/05/on-the-road-again-with-clarence-and-ginny/). They've been to 27 states, so there's a >55% chance (unless you use Obameography, and then it is 48%...), and have been known to stop in a Walmart parking lot overnight (perfectly legal and actually encouraged at the corporate level, since the average RV who stop overnight spends ~$50 in groceries or supplies during their stop).

Thomas grew up in Georgia, and went to school in both Missouri and Massachusetts, and spent his early career back in Missouri before moving to DC in the 80's and he chaired the EEOC for 8 years.

I think he's probably been exposed to more opportunity to experience, observe and act on racism than a suburban Dallas liberal who is obviously suffering from a terminal case of white male guilt.

Then I guess he I saw the sign saying this section of road sponsored by the KKK.