Northwest to share profits with employees

Good question. I doubt it is, but I guess I'll find out here soon enough.
Finman--

I think what everyone is trying get you to see (or at least acknowledge) is that while base rates may have only been cut by "X" percentage, when you factor in all the other variables (purser pay, DH pay, etc., etc) the real cut is much greater.

On the ground ops side, our base rate was cut 11.5%. But factor in the loss of shift differential, longevity pay, and other factors (eg. my insurance now costs me roughly $1.25/hr), and the number goes up by quite a bit.
I dont think he wants to see that because it will not support s/he's argument. Its a lost cause. ;) Probably being paid just to come to this website and save NW's reputation or something..... Have you seen theh latest in World Traveler magazine? Our leader has a blub about repairing relations with employees... <_<

Finman--

I think what everyone is trying get you to see (or at least acknowledge) is that while base rates may have only been cut by "X" percentage, when you factor in all the other variables (purser pay, DH pay, etc., etc) the real cut is much greater.
I realize that; which is why I put the total unadjusted reduction at 30% on the high side. I don't think you can support the notion that there is additional 30% (over and above the 20% base wage reduction) tied up in these other variables.

I know that on average, those other variables makes up about 8% of the total FA Payroll expense. So, if these items were completely eliminated, that would account for an incremental 8% decrease in pay on top of the wage rate reduction. Since these items were only reduced by about a third, then those variables only add about 3% of pay reduction. Naturally, some FA's have a higher percent of their pay tied up in these other pay types based on the schedules they bid. But, the most any single FA generally has of these pay types is 20% of their total pay, so even those FA's are looking at an incremental reduction of 7-8% on top of their base reduction. I think you see where the gap exists what the "real" wage reduction is (anywhere between 20% and 30% based on type of flying) and the 50% claimed.

I would think that there would be others on this board who would object to someone greatly exaggerating their paycut, since in my mind, it downplays and cheapens the real and substantial cuts that we have all taken.

You don't "GET IT" cause you don't WANT to "get it".

Odd that you are so versed on the intricacies of FA pay, yet you fall ignorant of the parameters set forth for the true 360 of the pay cuts and additional expenses imposed.

Study the industry a little longer and how pay is calculated for FAs of major airlines...perhaps then you won't need someone to show you the light.

Start off with the going rate for services rendered vs. your uninformed whinny "12 days a month part-time job" analogy.

Moreover, pray that your cabin crew member is not flying exhausted with low motor skill reactions, should you ever find yourself in an burning plane, and your life hangs on the split second actions of a FA. (Air France burning A330 in Toronto a few years back)

You know an awful lot about the (selective aspects) FA pay system...yet so little (albeit selectively) about the true severity of the imposed pay loss.

You don't "GET IT" cause you don't WANT to "get it".

Odd that you are so versed on the intricacies of FA pay, yet you fall ignorant of the parameters set forth for the true 360 of the pay cuts and additional expenses imposed.

Study the industry a little longer and how pay is calculated for FAs of major airlines...perhaps then you won't need someone to show you the light.

Start off with the going rate for services rendered vs. your uninformed whinny "12 days a month part-time job" analogy.

Moreover, pray that your cabin crew member is not flying exhausted with low motor skill reactions, should you ever find yourself in an burning plane, and your life hangs on the split second actions of a FA. (Air France burning A330 in Toronto a few years back)

You know an awful lot about the (selective aspects) FA pay system...yet so little (albeit selectively) about the true severity of the imposed pay loss.
we don't validate that argument- thus "Silence".

Now, now Redbone- let's go check out the strip and have some Martinis'....

Latest posts

Back