Not permitting NR fares to be applied towards Ref fares...

My understanding is if the ticket is applied to a full Y ticket, no change fee is charged but the entire ticket remains nonrefundable. Maybe it''s me, but this seems reasonable. Otherwise, what''s to stop someone from buying a Y ticket only to get a refund on a nonrefundable ticket?!

Also, for what it''s worth, the US1 desk a few weeks ago rebooked an M ticket as a Y ticket and only charged me the fare difference -- no change fee. This was not a ticket subject to the war-related relaxation of policies. Also, much to my surprise, they also repriced using the goldfile number in the reservation.
 
Plain and simple fact is until the fare rule pages are rescripted to read otherwise, the red highlighted text above should be "logically" and "consistently" followed as GOSPEL.(again personally I may not agree with the policy but neither agents nor customers make the rules, no matter the insanity..). This info was corroborated by veteran PIT CSD/REISSUE agent Dave on Monday. That is relatively new text that did not exist in last year''s fare rule pages and if I were to hazard an educated guess, most likely, as in the PAST, PROCEDURES neglected to release a bulletin about it, as even DAVE could not find a res bulletin checking JAN thru APR. ,....but hey if you can get away with it, I say go for it.
Refreshing and nostalgic to see some (heads up type) things never change.
 
----------------
On 4/28/2003 7:59:24 PM USFlyer wrote:

My understanding is if the ticket is applied to a full Y ticket, no change fee is charged but the entire ticket remains nonrefundable. Maybe it''s me, but this seems reasonable. Otherwise, what''s to stop someone from buying a Y ticket only to get a refund on a nonrefundable ticket?!
----------------​
Since your system apparently has the capability of flagging a full fare ticket as nonrefundable since the original ticket was non refundable, how about tweaking the system so that anyone who want''s to try that ploy can get a refund of all but the "nonrefundable" portion of the fare?
 
Yes...Severed and Happy is correct...we are not suppossed to be applying NR to Ref fares, although sometimes it gets done either because the agents is unaware - lack of information, or just because we don''t agree with it. Although if ever we are called on it I''ll always state I just didn''t know.
The company should not make us do this, give us a rule we can live with, not something we are ashamed to tell our customers.
 
Not allowing a non-refundable fare to be applied at all towards a refundable fare presents two problems: one is that, as already discussed, you're really putting the screws to the customer.

The second problem is this -- imagine you're a USAir passenger and you have this now worthless ticket that US won't let you apply towards a refundable (and expensive!) ticket. Would you buy that refundable fare from US?

I know I wouldn't! I would buy it from another airline just to make a point!


Also, even if you allow a non-refundable ticket to be applied towards a refundable one with a $100 change fee, and the whole new ticket is non-refundable, it's similar. If I have a $150 non-refundable ticket, is it worth it to save $50 to buy a $1200 *non-refundable*, *full-fare* coach ticket? Personally, NO! I would go to another airline and buy the same $1200 full-fare *refundable* ticket. If I needed to cancel, I would be very glad I spent an extra 50 bucks to get my $1,200 back!
 
----------------
On 4/29/2003 2:15:24 PM Res wrote:

Yes...Severed and Happy is correct...we are not suppossed to be applying NR to Ref fares, although sometimes it gets done either because the agents is unaware - lack of information, or just because we don''t agree with it. Although if ever we are called on it I''ll always state I just didn''t know.

The company should not make us do this, give us a rule we can live with, not something we are ashamed to tell our customers.

----------------​

No, severed-and-happy is incorrect. Which res do you work in? PIT or INT? I''ll be more than happy to call them tomorrow and speak with them. PM me your supervisors name and I''ll speak to them directly.
 
----------------
On 4/28/2003 7:59:24 PM USFlyer wrote:

My understanding is if the ticket is applied to a full Y ticket, no change fee is charged but the entire ticket remains nonrefundable. Maybe it''s me, but this seems reasonable. Otherwise, what''s to stop someone from buying a Y ticket only to get a refund on a nonrefundable ticket?!


Also, for what it''s worth, the US1 desk a few weeks ago rebooked an M ticket as a Y ticket and only charged me the fare difference -- no change fee. This was not a ticket subject to the war-related relaxation of policies. Also, much to my surprise, they also repriced using the goldfile number in the reservation.

----------------​

What type of M ticket? Did it have an NR in the fare basis?
What city pairs? I''ll check into it.

--Dino
 
----------------
On 4/29/2003 8:52:04 AM KCFlyer wrote:






----------------

On 4/28/2003 7:59:24 PM USFlyer wrote:


My understanding is if the ticket is applied to a full Y ticket, no change fee is charged but the entire ticket remains nonrefundable.  Maybe it''s me, but this seems reasonable.  Otherwise, what''s to stop someone from buying a Y ticket only to get a refund on a nonrefundable ticket?!

----------------​

Since your system apparently has the capability of flagging a full fare ticket as nonrefundable since the original ticket was non refundable, how about tweaking the system so that anyone who want''s to try that ploy can get a refund of all but the "nonrefundable" portion of the fare? 

----------------​

Used to be that way, no longer.
 
----------------
On 4/29/2003 1:38:20 AM Severed-N-Happy wrote:


Plain and simple fact is until the fare rule pages are rescripted to read otherwise, the red highlighted text above should be "logically" and "consistently" followed as GOSPEL.(again personally  I may not agree with the policy but neither agents nor customers make the rules, no matter the insanity..). This info was corroborated by veteran PIT CSD/REISSUE agent Dave on Monday. That is relatively new text that did not exist in last year''s fare rule pages and if I were to hazard an educated guess, most likely, as in the PAST, PROCEDURES neglected to release a bulletin about it, as even DAVE could not find a res bulletin checking JAN thru APR. ,....but hey if you can get away with it, I say go for it.

Refreshing and nostalgic to see some (heads up type) things never change.


----------------​

Did you give ''DAVE'' the CSBRF I posted? Since you''re no longer employed (and will never be) by US, you have no knowledge of what''s going on. Move on.

--Dino
 
Dinosaur.....I''m in res....
Aug 27...they took away about five or six special
waiver keys from us....on our CARE system.
One of them was a key to allow non ref to a fully
refundable ticket...and another key was to upgrade
any non ref to a bereavement.

I know for a certainty...a memo just came out two
days ago...or friday I think...a daily bulletin..
telling us not to EVEN call a CSD person to get
the bereavement tickets OK''d...in the instance when
the passenger is booked say..19June nonrefundable
roundtrip and has to leave tomorrow because the person
they were visiting is now in critical condition or
dead...absolutely cannot be done in res.

As far as nonrefundable to refundable ....this
is also now taboo...and this policy changed August
27 with all the other waiver changes.
I think too many people had figured out that if they
upgraded to a Y or a B fare and then waited two or
three weeks...call back and cancel it...that some
were sneaking through and getting all their money back.
It takes a lot of extra steps to apply a NR to
a fare basis code...and it sometimes impossible to
append.

So severed n happy is correct. Call CSD res tomorrow
and bring up these procedures and I know they will
give you the correct answer.

These policies are very unpopular and we would all
like to see them relaxed somewhat...would make our
jobs MUCH easier...It is a constant battle when
you are just giving bad news ALL DAY LONG...customer
after customer....
 
Dinosaur,
I too am in res in INT. I''ve been a lurker since pre concession days, and never felt compelled to reply until this topic. A psgr must use their nonrefundable ticket towards another non refundable. I don''t know anyone who agrees with this policy. We would all love to go back to the Jul 02 bulletin. Unfortunatly, almost daily I turn down money because the new fare would be refundable. Almost every day I call CSD to try for waiver. Same answer every time. No. We have no waivers. Even their hands are tied. (Maybe thats why we''ve been asked not to call CSD for this reason anymore! I must not be the only one trying.)

Dinosaur, we would all like you to make that call to PIT/INT so we can go back to doing what we do best; giving great service!
 
----------------
On 4/29/2003 6:27:50 PM dinosaur wrote:


----------------


Did you give 'DAVE' the CSBRF I posted?  Since you're no longer employed (and will never be) by US, you have no knowledge of what's going on.  Move on.

--Dino

----------------

To answer your question, uhh yes I did, and judging by your caustic response it is apparent you are berating his expertise as well as that of the 4 or 5 others who posted their thoughts on the topic.

It would appear your brush with the MODS last month did nothing  to quell your antagonistic cry baby menopausal like board attitude.  Looks like roughly 4 out of 5 voted on the non-applicable side and who know how to recognize and deal with facts and reality.. Thanks for backing me and RES poster up, Res dudes and dudettes. Nothing worse than a  persistently misguided know it all who ends up so majorly  WRONGO!

But that's ok ..I'm sure recurrent training is free for the asking..​