Nw Airlink Crash

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - A small jet crashed in a residential area here, killing the only two people aboard, airline officials said Friday.

The crash Thursday of the Pinnacle Airlines plane appeared to destroy a garage and set a home on fire, but there were no reports of injuries on the ground, police and fire officials said.

The CRJ2, which seats up to 50 people, was traveling from Little Rock, Ark., to Minneapolis when the pilots for the regional airline reported trouble with both engines.

Witnesses reported seeing fire shortly before the plane went down a few miles east of downtown Jefferson City, police Capt. Michael Smith said.

Lesley Ammikus was sitting on the deck of her apartment as the plane approached her neighborhood.

"I saw it right at the trees. I thought, 'That's way too loud and too low,' and it just hit," Ammikus said. "It went boom when it hit."

A wing and a large chunk of the plane's charred, twisted tail rested between two houses. An engine was found along the road, Smith said. "You could still smell the fuel," he said.

The plane's flight data recorder was recovered, and the National Transportation Safety Board was investigating.

Memphis-based Pinnacle is affiliated with Northwest Airlines, operating under the name Northwest Airlink.

"I am greatly saddened by the loss of our crew," said Pinnacle chief executive Philip Trenary. "My prayers and the prayers of all Pinnacle people are with their family and loved ones."

While this might more properly be a thread more suited for a different forum, most in this industry see it as a "family". And just like any family, we mourn with those other "family members" more directly affected by a tragedy like this.

Jim

This has happened before on a Corp. version of the CRJ..http://aviation-safety.net/database/1994/940320-0.htm

"Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there. I did not die."

Native American poem

This thread was started because fellow crew members died. There is no respect! Sky High, uvn, and every other poster who has defiled this tribute with anything other than prayers or well wishes for the family members who are trying to cope with the loss, I hope that if or when a loss of this magnitude is upon you that someone shows you compassion and not what you have displayed here. With that, and prayers for the crew members, I leave this forum. I am disgusted at what this has become.

my sympathies and prayers and thoughts to the crash victims and their families. does anyone know what they are searching for? i havent heard anything and havent seen anything. i tried the two posted links but could not find anything on the rj except the airliners.net photo

Many of the posts on this thread were truly disgraceful, therefore the topic has been split. If anyone wants to continue the other lines of discussions originally found here, you can find them here. Please leave the rest of the garbage off this thread. Thanks.

Latest posts