NWA Bldg. C Boneyard

Dec 13, 2005
About three weeks ago, I was driving past the old Republic hangars at MSP, and I noticed a DC-10 sitting there, with the engines cocooned, and the windscreens covered up. That's odd, I thought to myself, why would they be mothballing a DC-10 here?

Then I found out why...

Ladies, gentlemen, SCAB's of all ages, I give you...The NWA boneyard at MSP. This is where the planes that cant fly out go to die.

(Click For Bigger)

I'll get to the DC-10 later, but first lets talk about what used to be in it's spot. Previously, the DC-9 that got hit by a catering truck was there. It was hit just behind the radome, and the tube was twisted, pressure bulkheads were destroyed, basically the plane was a mess. Technichally it was repairable, but NWA decided just to park it. It sat there for months, I beleive into '06, and now it has disappeared.

The DC-9 still parked there is the one that slid under the wing of the A-320. It also sat there until early 2006, and all of a sudden it is completely stripped, right down to the tube.

And finally, the DC-10. From what I've been told, this plane was on a flight, I don't know if it originated at MSP but I would guess so. When they tried to pressurize the plane for the flight, they were unable to. So the plane returned to MSP, and the SCAB's zipped it up, and tried a pressurization check. During the check, the door blew out.

Let me say that again, the door BLEW OUT.

So they decided to check why the door blew out. The answer: serious corrosion.

Also, DC-10's hadn't been touched by the mechanics at NWA for years. They were all sent to Singapore.

Hmmmm...wasn't there a problem back in the '70's with doors blowing out on DC-10's?

What happened the last time a door blew out on a DC-10?

346 people died. On March 3rd, 1974, Turkish Airlines Flight 981 crashed shortly after takeoff from Orly Airport in Paris, France, due to a cargo door blowout. It was the fifth deadliest airline crash in history.

But just remember kids, everything is normal at NWA.

that was also what, about 5? or so yrs prior to AA flt 191 at ORD and I think that was when all DC-10s were grounded? not 100% sure as to what actually led to the grounding but I thought it was AA191 and the Turkish accident

that was also what, about 5? or so yrs prior to AA flt 191 at ORD and I think that was when all DC-10s were grounded? not 100% sure as to what actually led to the grounding but I thought it was AA191 and the Turkish accident

From what I understand, the DC-10's were grounded because of the AA crash. Mech's at AA removed the engine and pylon at the same time, and the pylon was cracked in the process so the engine departed on takeoff. The door problem's were mostly fixed voluntarily after AA flight 96 had a cargo door blowout in 1972, luckily the plane didn't crash, and the fix was manditory after the Turkish Airlines crash.

You completely missed the point.
Well help me out here Saabmeister. Lets take the nine that was struck by the catering truck. You say technically it was repairable but is it economically feasible? Not when you have over a hundred of them and your not flying all of those. To top that off the fleet is being phased out. What point am I missing there?

The door blows out of a DC-10 from corrosion? How old is that aircraft? The company is replacing that fleet with A330's and 787's? Get rid of it.

Yea I know the Scabs blew the door just like AA torched a 67. Their heroes right? :lol: :lol:

Well help me out here Saabmeister. Lets take the nine that was struck by the catering truck. You say technically it was repairable but is it economically feasible? Not when you have over a hundred of them and your not flying all of those. To top that off the fleet is being phased out. What point am I missing there?

The door blows out of a DC-10 from corrosion? How old is that aircraft? The company is replacing that fleet with A330's and 787's? Get rid of it.

Yea I know the Scabs blew the door just like AA torched a 67. Their heroes right? :lol: :lol:

No, it's not economically feasible to be repaired. I didn't have a problem with that. In regards to that DC-9, I'm just wondering where the hell it went.

And do you have a source about the DC-9's being phased out? Maybe I missed something, but I haven't heard anything about this.

It doesn't matter how old the plane was. Again, this just shows how you've completely missed the point.

The point is that the plane wasn't being maintained properly. Yes, the plane is old, but the fact that it had so much corrosion that a door BLEW OUT. That's something that shouldn't happen and should have been caught.

And in regards to the DC-10's being phased out, the rumor that I have heard is that the FAA was about to lay a serious fine on NWA for this door blowout, and NWA made a deal to ground all the DC-10's in two months if they could get out of the fine.

Allow me to help you a little more SUPERscab. Even if the Scab Air DC-10 was repairable and worth the cost, Dougies' "flawless" scab plan no longer has the mechanics to do the work. Can't ferry it to Singapore without pressurization, so its now an eye sore off 494 because it can't fly. It also doesn't really matter how old and aircraft is, as long as the maintenance is performed, which obviously Scab Air avoids because its almost broke.

I don't know how Scab Air will replace its flying junk with new aircraft, they have one strike on their hands, and another looming. Can't afford to pay its scab hiring costs, so new aircraft are mostly out of the question at this point.

A engine explosion is serious matter, the CF6 seems to have a design problem as this has happened before. The AA techs saved an aircraft from totally burning up and possibly themselves. A damn good job to them and the LAFD.

How many Scab Air main tires have been bouncing down the runways, or about a blown a full set of 757 mains while landing 'Cods? Several right? Seems every week its another "Calibrated Failure" at Scab Air. Now its blown corroded cargo doors. Its that "Calibrated Corrosion"? :rolleyes: What's next? Unfortunately, Scab Air plowing one in the dirt looks to be the way its going at this rate.

Hackman, what does it take to be such a hypocrite? Did that just come natural for you or were you taught that during your union brainwashing sessions?
What does it take to be an uneducated 'tard scab like you? Not a whole lot.

Are you going back to Redneckville soon? I bet they are real happy.... :huh:

Buh-bye now. ;)

thank you for explianing that to Sabbmeister!

hey pto, just a little side note in case you cant remember maintaince with old planes: as long as maintaince is VERY WELL maintained on the old planes, they can keep flying. But as someone pointed out in this thread, SCAB AIR doesnt have any money to continue with that.

One example is that little Florida Carrier that flew 1940s era planes up until one crashed due to corrosion in the wing and wing bar areas.
it was their first crash in their history and sadly it is the last as they I think went out of busniess.

To clarify some of the history on DC-10s cargo blow outs, the AA and Turkish Air were due to latching N-O-T corrosion.

You blow a cargo door out due to corrosion and thats a maintenance issue. I don't know what sort of maintenance cycle NWA put their 10s through but before UAL retired them, they were all going through extensive visits specifically for corrosion.

To clarify some of the history on DC-10s cargo blow outs, the AA and Turkish Air were due to latching N-O-T corrosion.

You blow a cargo door out due to corrosion and thats a maintenance issue. I don't know what sort of maintenance cycle NWA put their 10s through but before UAL retired them, they were all going through extensive visits specifically for corrosion.
:up: Doug and his little #### can "will" their airplanes not to need service checks! Just ask them they don't need tech's. Well those alpa boys must luv them airplanes a whole bunch to keep flying that junk. It's only a matter of time!

Saabmeister, here is an update to the NWA "boneyard" in MSP.

I was in the neighborhood, so I decided to check out the hulks for myself. The only one that was left was the DC9-50 (the one that ran into the A320). The DC10 was gone. I did notice that there were two 10's in Bay 4 of Bldg. C, so it might have been moved there.

You were correct in saying that the DC9 was cannibalized; everything that could be removed from it was (horizontal and vertical stab, all flight controls, landing gear, even down to the insulation blankets in the cabin!).

I took a few pictures of the aircraft in the hopes of adding them to this posting, but I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet... :rolleyes: